Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longer term Ohmmu experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! A single failed alternator does lead to over or under discharge, and so does leaving the key on. I had no idea there were companies selling multi-cell Lithium batteries without any kind of balancing or protection, much less at a premium price.
Yes, but I can see where they are coming from, where they are serving a niche market focused primarily on short term performance. They were the only "race proven" option when I made the purchase. In practice, the above corner cases do happen, and the probabilities of those occurrences need to be weighed against failure due to degradation from over/under charging, not balancing, BMS dying, BMS behavior quirks, etc.

Yes, as their stance has been that the car itself won't over charge/discharge, and the reliability of the BMS electronics are usually the limiting factor to the battery service longevity.
That's a truly strange design logic for such an expensive aftermarket part, especially in view of Tesla's inability to design a 12 volt system that doesn't go through OEM batteries at roughly twice the rate of most ICE vehicles. EarthX sells a battery with BMS and I believe it incorporates a 15 volt charge limit into its BMS, somewhat higher than Ohmmu's. I believe this is the battery that mountain pass uses as well.

That's a truly strange design logic for such an expensive aftermarket part, especially in view of Tesla's inability to design a 12 volt system that doesn't go through OEM batteries at roughly twice the rate of most ICE vehicles.
The Braille battery is not sold specifically for Teslas at all. It's sold for Harley Davidsons and is just being used on a Tesla by someone.
(@dfwatt won't see this as he has me blocked though because he thinks I don't understand AC and DC, and that's why he didn't see my post above)

That's a truly strange design logic for such an expensive aftermarket part, especially in view of Tesla's inability to design a 12 volt system that doesn't go through OEM batteries at roughly twice the rate of most ICE vehicles. EarthX sells a battery with BMS and I believe it incorporates a 15 volt charge limit into its BMS, somewhat higher than Ohmmu's. I believe this is the battery that mountain pass uses as well.
Mountain pass uses an earthX battery that are designed for Aviation and have higher standards.

I would imagine that at this point, anything that doesn’t behave like a lead acid will throw the VCFRONT error codes. I’m also curious about the new Antigravity 51R battery and the extent of the compatibility testing they have done.

When i just got the battery, I was constantly monitoring charge voltage (with the bluetooth based voltage probe and mobile app for voltage plots) and didn’t see it go above 14.2V. I acknowledge that without balancing and constantly charging until the battery sits at 13.3V, there will be increased degradation. However, based on the 24AH sizing and the sizing of the OE lithium battery, the degradation of the Braille battery has a ways to go before its capacity is reduced to that of the OE lithium. And they way I keep myself from getting stranded is to test voltage, load, and capacity levels periodically, just as I have been doing with lead acids.

I would imagine that at this point, anything that doesn’t behave like a lead acid will throw the VCFRONT error codes. I’m also curious about the new Antigravity 51R battery and the extent of the compatibility testing they have done.

When i just got the battery, I was constantly monitoring charge voltage (with the bluetooth based voltage probe and mobile app for voltage plots) and didn’t see it go above 14.2V. I acknowledge that without balancing and constantly charging until the battery sits at 13.3V, there will be increased degradation. However, based on the 24AH sizing and the sizing of the OE lithium battery, the degradation of the Braille battery has a ways to go before its capacity is reduced to that of the OE lithium. And they way I keep myself from getting stranded is to test voltage, load, and capacity levels periodically, just as I have been doing with lead acids.
I'm curious when you say you were monitoring charge voltage how far back does your monitoring go? Because it appears that the too highcharge voltage (for BMS on most lithium iron phosphate) like 14.8 volts or something like that was pushed out late last year and maybe for the first month of 2022. And then they seemed to have dialed it back (which of course meant that the aftermarket batteries seemed to throw fewer codes) and then again in the spring, it looks like there was another surge of codes and perhaps charging voltage. Just curious what you've seen since you've been monitoring all this.

I'm curious when you say you were monitoring charge voltage how far back does your monitoring go? Because it appears that the too highcharge voltage (for BMS on most lithium iron phosphate) like 14.8 volts or something like that was pushed out late last year and maybe for the first month of 2022.
I didn’t catch any of this because I was scrutinizing the voltage behavior only in the first few months after I installed the Braille battery, so this is essentially December 2018 through March 2019. I only reinstalled the voltage monitoring device after the recent warning messages.

With that said, today I received 3 background and 1 foreground VCFRONT_a180 errors. The foreground occurred when the voltage dipped to 12.85V as shown in the screenshot. The background ones coincided with the falling edges to ~13.2V, which is at 1:45am, 2:30pm, 6:50pm.

266B40D3-1F11-484E-961B-2C2DF738083A.png

Anyone know why it would cause a reduced power error when the voltage is still higher than the lead acid its expecting?

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I didn’t catch any of this because I was scrutinizing the voltage behavior only in the first few months after I installed the Braille battery, so this is essentially December 2018 through March 2019. I only reinstalled the voltage monitoring device after the recent warning messages.

With that said, today I received 3 background and 1 foreground VCFRONT_a180 errors. The foreground occurred when the voltage dipped to 12.85V as shown in the screenshot. The background ones coincided with the falling edges to ~13.2V, which is at 1:45am, 2:30pm, 6:50pm.

View attachment 826954

Anyone know why it would cause a reduced power error when the voltage is still higher than the lead acid its expecting?
Puzzling. Your other posts had showed with 2022.16.2 a smoothing of charging valleys and peaks but now it appears worse with the same update. You had mentioned a Braille battery with no BMC so there is no cell balancing. I'm wondering if the erratic graph is a period of out of balance cells. Or perhaps you actually do have a BMC and didn't know it? What are you using to monitor and generate these graphs? The link provided compares Lithium chargers to lead acid chargers. It makes me think there must be a BMC in your battery. Can I charge my lithium battery with a lead acid charger? - Enerdrive

Last edited:
What are you using to monitor and generate these graphs?

It looks like the device I and others (@AlanSubie4Life) have pointed to. I have posted similar graphs from the Ohmmu in my Model X. My kid is using it in his Model 3.

Reactions: Flybyglass
It looks like the device I and others (@AlanSubie4Life) have pointed to. I have posted similar graphs from the Ohmmu in my Model X. My kid is using it in his Model 3.
Any interference with the Tesla's sleep cycle? Thanks

View attachment 826954

I'm guessing here but it may be not the voltage being higher than a lead battery but the rate of change from one voltage to another. Perhaps go back over past data and see every time a notification is generated what was the change from high to low that cause the message.

I find this interesting and will get one.

Reactions: scottf200