Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longer term Ohmmu experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any interference with the Tesla's sleep cycle? Thanks

It’s rated at 1mW or less or so as I recall, so no, it has no effect.

Correct ... although I think you meant mA. Production Description on the Amazon link:

OBkY431.jpg

Just a quick update. On 7/5 I put V3 back in. All is well until 7/8 I got my first VCFront_a180 soft alert at 7:58pm. I was home at that time with the car plugged in. 1 more VCFront_a180 yesterday at 12:08am . I have scheduled charging set to begin at midnight fwiw.

So far no amber alerts yet.

I continue to check OHMMU's website to see if maybe they'll start selling the Model 3/Y battery again but it's still showing out of stock. I figure just in case they get a V4 released that they'll change the status so orders can resume (just in case he doesn't notify existing customers right away).

Just a quick update. On 7/5 I put V3 back in. All is well until 7/8 I got my first VCFront_a180 soft alert at 7:58pm. I was home at that time with the car plugged in. 1 more VCFront_a180 yesterday at 12:08am . I have scheduled charging set to begin at midnight fwiw.

I continue to check OHMMU's website to see if maybe they'll start selling the Model 3/Y battery again but it's still showing out of stock. I figure just in case they get a V4 released that they'll change the status so orders can resume (just in case he doesn't notify existing customers right away).
They are swapping out to V4 SLOWLY to check for errors before too deep into and exchange program. Contact them about timing for exchange.

Reactions: Dysan911
It is completely passive. My X has never sleep (even before) but my kids 3 sleeps a lot (rem: it is on both our cars). @AlanSubie4Life could confirm it doesn't affect his 3's sleep. He has a variety of post on it (3) when I bought and used the device before my Ohmmu.
Here: I monitored the 12v battery voltage during an OTA update
Just installed the module. It the latest software/firmware you can select frequency for downloading data and to set to 24 hours. If there was any issues interfering with vehicle sleep cycles (and I doubt there is since it connects direct to battery). Cool little gadget.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200

@Dysan911 are you comfortable with continuing to drive the car with the recurring soft VCFront_a180 alerts? I have a long road trip coming up and I'm debating whether to switch back to the OE lead acid because I'm not sure if these alerts will escalate to the point where the car is disabled.

Puzzling. Your other posts had showed with 2022.16.2 a smoothing of charging valleys and peaks but now it appears worse with the same update. You had mentioned a Braille battery with no BMC so there is no cell balancing. I'm wondering if the erratic graph is a period of out of balance cells. Or perhaps you actually do have a BMC and didn't know it? What are you using to monitor and generate these graphs? The link provided compares Lithium chargers to lead acid chargers. It makes me think there must be a BMC in your battery. Can I charge my lithium battery with a lead acid charger? - Enerdrive

I think the smoother graphs are a result of the car deciding not to charge the 12V battery because the voltage is high (13.1-13.3V). Yesterday it started charging after I parked the car, and the voltage dropped down to 12.93V (~25% SoC). Then when it stopped charging, it threw the soft VCFRONT_a180 error (as always occurs on the falling edge after charging stops), the voltage was at 13.35V, and was at 13.3V in the morning for my weekday commute. I'm pretty sure it's not the BMC because Braille swears against them o_O

I'm guessing here but it may be not the voltage being higher than a lead battery but the rate of change from one voltage to another. Perhaps go back over past data and see every time a notification is generated what was the change from high to low that cause the message.

Given it happens on the falling edges, it must be something about the rate of change. The level at which it happens can be anywhere from 13.8V or 14.1V all the way down to 13.1-13.3V.

I think the smoother graphs are a result of the car deciding not to charge the 12V battery because the voltage is high (13.1-13.3V). Yesterday it started charging after I parked the car, and the voltage dropped down to 12.93V (~25% SoC). Then when it stopped charging, it threw the soft VCFRONT_a180 error (as always occurs on the falling edge after charging stops), the voltage was at 13.35V, and was at 13.3V in the morning for my weekday commute. I'm pretty sure it's not the BMC because Braille swears against them o_O

Given it happens on the falling edges, it must be something about the rate of change. The level at which it happens can be anywhere from 13.8V or 14.1V all the way down to 13.1-13.3V.
I removed my 51R AGM (no issues or warnings) and replaced with the AtlasBX and connected the battery monitor to build a baseline if data. I have an Ohmmu V4 coming and I wanted a baseline of data before installing the Ohmmu. I can then watch the plots and see if any messages generated along with either voltage of rate of change triggering events.

Last edited:
Reactions: chiapet15
Just installed the module. It the latest software/firmware you can select frequency for downloading data and to set to 24 hours. If there was any issues interfering with vehicle sleep cycles (and I doubt there is since it connects direct to battery). Cool little gadget.
FYI, Some have seen high phone battery usage and here is the post of what I did (I turn off automation and do it manually). Whatever works best for you. HTH!

Reactions: Flybyglass
@Dysan911 are you comfortable with continuing to drive the car with the recurring soft VCFront_a180 alerts? I have a long road trip coming up and I'm debating whether to switch back to the OE lead acid because I'm not sure if these alerts will escalate to the point where the car is disabled.
Absolutely no worries. These alerts aren't even popping up on the main display. They can only be found if you go into Service/Notifications. Worse case if you got one of the Amber alerts and it was the one that said the 12v failed and to schedule service for replacement it would just mean no further software updates would happen until you did a hard reset. In fact, that is what I'm trying to determine right now with how long I can go before I get one of those. No matter what though it won't leave you stranded.

If you bring along a 10mm wrench you would have everything needed to do a quick 5min hard rest.

Open doors and windows
Service menu - Power OFF vehicle
Disconnect 12v (with 10mm wrench)
Pop Rear Seat and Flip up the big gray Electrical connector (Disconnects HV Battery) You don't even have to remove the connector all the way either.

A few mins later Flip the Connector back to its locked position so it' reconnects the HV Battery and reattach 12v, etc. THat's pretty much it.

B.

I didn’t catch any of this because I was scrutinizing the voltage behavior only in the first few months after I installed the Braille battery, so this is essentially December 2018 through March 2019. I only reinstalled the voltage monitoring device after the recent warning messages.

With that said, today I received 3 background and 1 foreground VCFRONT_a180 errors. The foreground occurred when the voltage dipped to 12.85V as shown in the screenshot. The background ones coincided with the falling edges to ~13.2V, which is at 1:45am, 2:30pm, 6:50pm.

View attachment 826954

Anyone know why it would cause a reduced power error when the voltage is still higher than the lead acid its expecting?
When the voltage dipped to 12.85, what was the high right before 14? I had a dip similar with the AtlasBX battery that went from 13.81 down to 12.69 then within a couple seconds went to 12.93. The time spent at 12.85 ws only a second or 2. Your graph showed a fall off then sitting at 13 then dropping before snap back. Looking for rate of change or time at various voltages for clue for the VCFront errors.

When the voltage dipped to 12.85, what was the high right before 14? I had a dip similar with the AtlasBX battery that went from 13.81 down to 12.69 then within a couple seconds went to 12.93. The time spent at 12.85 ws only a second or 2. Your graph showed a fall off then sitting at 13 then dropping before snap back. Looking for rate of change or time at various voltages for clue for the VCFront errors.
Before the dip to 12.85: the high was at 13.95 for 1hr, then 13.56 for 12min before going back to 13.95 for 2min, then down to 13.05 for 12min, then up to 13.12 for 10min.

I got another soft error yesterday at where the cursor is shown. It was at 13.92 for 12min before the error. The ramp is from 13.02 to 13.63 over a period of 1hr45min

DF3AAAF6-4078-4006-BEC8-88B9AE0D94A0.png

Today’s soft error occurred after a similar ramp waveform:
8DDB5B1F-18B7-4080-B333-7424443FE705.png

Based on the consistency of the errors, maybe it’s looking for a particular transient response? If only we also had a plot of the current…

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Before the dip to 12.85: the high was at 13.95 for 1hr, then 13.56 for 12min before going back to 13.95 for 2min, then down to 13.05 for 12min, then up to 13.12 for 10min.

I got another soft error yesterday at where the cursor is shown. It was at 13.92 for 12min before the error. The ramp is from 13.02 to 13.63 over a period of 1hr45min

View attachment 827693

Today’s soft error occurred after a similar ramp waveform:
View attachment 827695

Based on the consistency of the errors, maybe it’s looking for a particular transient response? If only we also had a plot of the current…
The transient response may be correct. More data will tell. So far my plot looks yours between 1000 and 1500 (I only have a half day data so far. The wave pattern 2015 through 2225 on 7/10 and 1600 through 1805 on 7/11 has not appeared yet on my plot. What version software are you running?

The transient response may be correct. More data will tell. So far my plot looks yours between 1000 and 1500 (I only have a half day data so far. The wave pattern 2015 through 2225 on 7/10 and 1600 through 1805 on 7/11 has not appeared yet on my plot. What version software are you running?
I'm on 2022.16.3. Overall, it looks to me that the charging behavior has improved in that it's not overcharging as much, and the charging kicks back in when the 12V lithium is at a typical "time to recharge" SoC.

I'm on 2022.16.3. Overall, it looks to me that the charging behavior has improved in that it's not overcharging as much, and the charging kicks back in when the 12V lithium is at a typical "time to recharge" SoC.
Here is 24 hours of my charging. Again right now its the AtlasBX but the wave form is different but consistent with spikes to charge. When I install the Ohmmu in a few days I will compare. Running 2022.12.3.20 the latest FSDBeta but still over a month behind your revision.

Attachments

• 9C0156F1-0D23-4176-B2D3-04A51F6C3DDA_1_102_o.jpeg
    9C0156F1-0D23-4176-B2D3-04A51F6C3DDA_1_102_o.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 41
it seems my car decided to use a different charging profile yesterday. It’s interesting because it went straight up to 14.2V and on the falling edge, there isn’t much of a transient response (as compared to previous graphs where voltage would dip down and come back up). Also, it looks like charging only occurred starting at 19:00, since the previous two square waves didn’t result in a higher ending voltage. After the charge at 19:00, the battery voltage increased to 13.6V, indicating a full charge, and was at 13.3V this morning just before the start of the commute

No soft VCFRONT errors occurred with this waveform. This waveform is also cleaner because I didn’t open the doors at all in the evening after parking in the garage at 18:00

D79F8572-1377-4B52-95F9-E8A47C6CD8E6.png

Last edited:
it seems my car decided to use a different charging profile yesterday. It’s interesting because it went straight up to 14.2V and on the falling edge, there isn’t much of a transient response (as compared to previous graphs where voltage would dip down and come back up). Also, it looks like charging only occurred starting at 19:00, since the previous two square waves didn’t result in a higher ending voltage. After the charge at 19:00, the battery voltage increased to 13.6V, indicating a full charge, and was at 13.3V this morning just before the start of the commute

No soft VCFRONT errors occurred with this waveform. This waveform is also cleaner because I didn’t open the doors at all in the evening after parking in the garage at 18:00

View attachment 828113
Good information. The one consistency is the inconsistency of charging profiles.

• Funny
Reactions: chiapet15

View attachment 828113
What I notice is the baseline charge level. For example, on mine is started at 14.1 (fully charged Lead Acid AtlasBX) reduced to 13.88 then after charging spikes to 14.02 it would settle at about 12.87 steady state. Even today short spikes to 14.16 then back down to 12.82-12.87 steady state. In your case, if not mistaken the battery was removed and tested then reinstalled. It started at 13.1 approx. and with several waves to 14.2 (approx) then after throwing several soft errors the voltage stabilized at 13.1 for long periods, tried two more charge curves to about 14 tossed more errors (soft ones) now has finally stabilized at 13.1 steady state with charging increases to 14 as needed then falling back to 13.1 steady state. I have a thesis but I want to see if any more errors soft or hard are generated on your car along with the data I collect on mine next week switching to the Ohmmu. For now I like the charging profile you now have. Let's see if it remains.