Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longer term Ohmmu experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Perscitus
When I got mine, Without hesitation I just put it on my Li Trickle charger. I wasn't sure if they came fully charged or not but assumed maybe partially. Looks like yours definitely could use a top-off.

I got an email back from Sean where I asked him about returning my V3 and if there was anything about the App to be aware of specifically. He said nothing really much to look out for on using the app. I guess it's pretty much self-explanatory. Also, that I can keep the V3 and do with it what I like, however, this ends the warranty support. I suppose I can't blame him. I'm sure my initial purchase never intended to cover the cost of providing me with 3 batteries (2 of which I can keep). and it makes sense this had to come to an end at some point. Not sure how you guys feel about it though but I still feel like if my V4+ suddenly failed that Sean would still try to make things right and I will hold onto my V3 for a while. Hopefully whatever Tesla changed in the 2022.24.8 stays with all future updates. (I just got 28.2 yesterday).
Keep posted if any VCFront messages. How long has it been since purchase?

When I got mine, Without hesitation I just put it on my Li Trickle charger. I wasn't sure if they came fully charged or not but assumed maybe partially. Looks like yours definitely could use a top-off.

I got an email back from Sean where I asked him about returning my V3 and if there was anything about the App to be aware of specifically. He said nothing really much to look out for on using the app. I guess it's pretty much self-explanatory. Also, that I can keep the V3 and do with it what I like, however, this ends the warranty support. I suppose I can't blame him. I'm sure my initial purchase never intended to cover the cost of providing me with 3 batteries (2 of which I can keep). and it makes sense this had to come to an end at some point. Not sure how you guys feel about it though but I still feel like if my V4+ suddenly failed that Sean would still try to make things right and I will hold onto my V3 for a while. Hopefully whatever Tesla changed in the 2022.24.8 stays with all future updates. (I just got 28.2 yesterday).
Yes I essentially got the same communication I have a V2 but it is still serviceable and would work fine probably in a number of vehicles. Indeed if Tesla would stop monkeying with the 12 volt charging routines I suspect it could be made to work in my wife's car. In any case I'm going to keep it as backup. I'm pretty sure what they mean by no more warranty is no more warranty on the old batteries. I think the new battery has whatever warranty the original battery had- does anybody know what that is?

Reactions: Dysan911
Before installing v4+, I trickled charged it using a LiFePO4 algo charger to where the Ohmmu app showed a SoC on the order of 80-85%, then installed. And within less than 1hrs in the car, it was topped off as Teslas own charging logic dictated. Maybe overkill but at least saved it some 1st cycle stress.

I debated trickling until shut-off/100% SoC to let the Ohmmu BMS balance the cells, but figured it can do that in the car in the next few weeks.

So far so good, 2022.28.2 and no soft/hard errors yet.

Same communications from Sean re the previous battery (I did return a v1 a year ago, and that was the beefiest one in terms of reusable internals for Sean) and the App.

Re warranty - the stickers on the newest batteries still say 48mo but I doubt that clock starts ticking from the replacement warranty order. Probably retconned back to original purchase date. Maybe Sean will clarify that to someone.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: israndy and dfwatt
I'm noticing higher voltage on 2022.28, and the battery doesn't appear to be discharging down to 13.1 as it previously did. I saw 14.7v and it stabilized around 14.5-14.6. On earlier software it would be 13.1 when driving and up to 14.1 or so after charging. I'm using scanmytesla for the readings. No errors yet.

Before installing v4+, I trickled charged it using a LiFePO4 algo charger to where the Ohmmu app showed a SoC on the order of 80-85%, then installed. And within less than 1hrs in the car, it was topped off as Teslas own charging logic dictated. Maybe overkill but at least saved it some 1st cycle stress.

I debated trickling until shut-off/100% SoC to let the Ohmmu BMS balance the cells, but figured it can do that in the car in the next few weeks.

So far so good, 2022.28.2 and no soft/hard errors yet.

Same communications from Sean re the previous battery (I did return a v1 a year ago, and that was the beefiest one in terms of reusable internals for Sean) and the App.

Re warranty - the stickers on the newest batteries still say 48mo but I doubt that clock starts ticking from the replacement warranty order. Probably retconned back to original purchase date. Maybe Sean will clarify that to someone.
What is the non charging voltage reading? Still 13.3V?

Snapshots of After and During cell balancing... Guess it gets to a cell to cell delta of 0.01V and calls it a day. That'll do pig, that'll do.

Screenshot_20220929-171335_Ohmmu.jpgScreenshot_20220929-171328_Ohmmu.jpgScreenshot_20220929-152749_Ohmmu.jpgScreenshot_20220929-152756_Ohmmu.jpg

Leave it on the trickle charger much longer after its done charging... the BMs will balance out the cells down to a delta of 0.1V and then 0.01v and even below.
I left a dedicated lithium iron phosphate trickle charger on overnight but it still shows a Delta of .2 volts. Disconnecting and reconnecting did not rectify this. Is this a sign of a problem? I reached out to their technical support but have not heard back yet.

I left a dedicated lithium iron phosphate trickle charger on overnight but it still shows a Delta of .2 volts. Disconnecting and reconnecting did not rectify this. Is this a sign of a problem? I reached out to their technical support but have not heard back yet.
It might take a while (days?) for the BMS to balance out the difference. The balancing might also only trigger in specific situations. It's worth asking them if they have more detailed info on how the BMS works.

Reactions: dfwatt
Yawn, Ohmmu installed in my Tesla since 2018. Zero non-Tesla triggered issues up to 110F and down to -10F. Roadtrips, highway, city miles. L1/2/3 car charging up to 260kW, prolonged unplugged deep-sleep periods, equally long L1 juiced Sentry and remote camera view sessions.

After all the support Sean and co have given us, the internals can be industrial LiFePO4 cells with self expanding foam, hot glue and tape. The Premium audio fidelity and charge/discharge profile alone are just that good!

There is a reason Tesla finally switched to a 15.x volt Lithium-ion LVB after years of meh 12v lead-acids.

Reactions: dfwatt
What's wrong? I don't get it, the solder joint appears to have lots of contact, you could probably use that as a starter battery with the thickness of cables.
These guys are trolling. It's probably not even worth responding to them seriously because it just encourages them. Trolling of course is the cottage industry on Tesla forums for the modestly talented. There's something about Tesla that just attracts trolls like I don't know what flies to the light?

• Disagree
Reactions: gearchruncher
I tried trolling on r/RealTesla, but they booted me in a day. Well, not trolling, just spreading the Tesla love, but they don't wanna hear truth or even troubleshoot issues. It's like all the shorts started a sub-reddit.
Meanwhile if you even post once on RealTesla, the main Tesla subreddit will ban you for "brigading."

It's like all the Tesla fanbois started a subreddit, they don't even wanna hear the truth.

Troubleshooting issues is what TeslaLounge is for FYI (or better, a forum like this). Neither TeslaMotors or RealTesla are for that, so it's a weird thing to knock them for. I mean TeslaMotors pops up a "******WE ARE NOT A SUPPORT/HELP WEBSITE******" when you go to make a post.

And the irony of all your ire for RealTesla? The post above was on TeslaMotors, the most Tesla-Positive place around (well, although nowadays it is pretty fed up with Elon's endless hype-lies). What the heck does RealTesla have to do with any of this?

What's wrong? I don't get it, the solder joint appears to have lots of contact, you could probably use that as a starter battery with the thickness of cables.
You shouldn't be soldering wires for automotive applications or applications where the wire is subjected to vibration or flex.

The industry standard here is ultrasonic welding, or as a fallback crimping. Tesla uses both techniques all over the car and I would be very surprised to see a soldered wire anywhere in the car unless it was fully encapsulated to keep the wire from moving.

Back on-topic, some v4+ warranty clarification directly from Ohmmu:

To clarify warranty, we intent to continue to honor the warranty from the original date of purchase, as long as we are able to, at some point we may have to make a hard decision on that if we are forced to but as long as we continue to grow as a company in our other product lines we feel we can continue to honor our original warranty (even if the warranty is to cover defects in the battery not changes in the car).