Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Look what I found in the nearby Tesla parking lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gabeincal

Jul 5, 2016
SF Bay, CA
We have a secret or not so secret workshop nearby and I usually drive around to see what they have in the parking lot. Well this time, I was in for a treat... Coast to coast rally huh? ;)

IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG
IMG_0352.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG
IMG_0355.JPG
IMG_0356.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG

Reactions: J1mbo
That a pretty fully loaded car. Interesting set up. I'm sure they have pictures of you too. Still can't believe anyone would leave their laptop out in the car exposed like that. With some type of hoodie, face mask and quick smash and grab, you probably wouldn't ever catch the perps even with camera footage. Read about daytime robberies of cars and homes often enough.

That a pretty fully loaded car. Interesting set up. I'm sure they have pictures of you too. Still can't believe anyone would leave their laptop out in the car exposed like that. With some type of hoodie, face mask and quick smash and grab, you probably wouldn't ever catch the perps even with camera footage. Read about daytime robberies of cars and homes often enough.
My wife used to work in an IT department that deployed and serviced laptops for employees. It's crazy how many laptops were reported stolen, not just those left out in plain view (like in the photos above), but even when they were covered by something innocuous on a car seat (which only invites curiosity as to what's underneath) or even locked away in the trunk. If the perp was hanging around a parking lot and sees you place the laptop in the trunk, it's not any safer than leaving it on a car seat. Better to put it in the trunk before parking at your destination. Better still to take your laptop with you.

My wife used to work in an IT department that deployed and serviced laptops for employees. It's crazy how many laptops were reported stolen, not just those left out in plain view (like in the photos above), but even when they were covered by something innocuous on a car seat (which only invites curiosity as to what's underneath) or even locked away in the trunk. If the perp was hanging around a parking lot and sees you place the laptop in the trunk, it's not any safer than leaving it on a car seat. Better to put it in the trunk before parking at your destination. Better still to take your laptop with you.

For work laptops, I actually ironically prefer the frunk. While the frunk can be opened using the emergency release hatch, that immediately sets off the alarm and generates a push notification. Unfortunately our USA spec Teslas don't have motion or glass break sensors for the cabin....

My work's policy on stolen work equipment is that it must be reported within ~30 minutes of the incident. The loss itself is not considered a big deal since the data is encrypted...