Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at a used Model S (been in accident)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

spentan

Dec 26, 2012
SoCal
Hi all,

am looking into a 2012 Perf, with VIN around 19xx.

it has all the options I want, only thing is that it has been in an accident.

An authorised Tesla body shop has completely repaired it, driver and knee airbag were deployed, but everything has been replaced/repaired to Tesla spec.

Is there much to worry about with Tesla approved repairs? The car is significantly discounted because of it, but I'm still a bit sceptical.

Also, is there anything that P019xx cars may not have had, or any issues that they may encounter in comparison with a new one? (Apart from parking sensors, I know that's new).

Would appreciate your input. Cheers

Sounds great to me! You should have another, reputable body shop inspect it, though.

hmm, I don't know if this will be an option, as I'm ordering it (2.5k deposit) from here in Australia, and I'll pick it up when I get to SoCal 1st February.

I think its a good deal, I'm just worried that it will put a big damper on resale value,

and being a 19xx car, does it have any issues that have been resolved in later builds?

Hi all,

am looking into a 2012 Perf, with VIN around 19xx.

it has all the options I want, only thing is that it has been in an accident.

An authorised Tesla body shop has completely repaired it, driver and knee airbag were deployed, but everything has been replaced/repaired to Tesla spec.

Is there much to worry about with Tesla approved repairs? The car is significantly discounted because of it, but I'm still a bit sceptical.

Also, is there anything that P019xx cars may not have had, or any issues that they may encounter in comparison with a new one? (Apart from parking sensors, I know that's new).

Would appreciate your input. Cheers

If the discount is really significant, I think you should pass on it... and give me their phone number. :rolleyes:

JK, one thing with a 2012 car with a VIN in the 1900's is that supercharging is likely restricted to 90kwh (the cutoff seems to be in 2500 range). If you have serious trouble falling asleep some night, you can read this monster thread: Older Tesla's limited to 90kW super charging

Another idea is to have Tesla service center take a look at it (assuming there's one nearby), maybe do a service, to see if they in a "hey-no-promises" kind of way kan hoist it up and see if anything looks out of place.

If the discount is really significant, I think you should pass on it... and give me their phone number. :rolleyes:

JK, one thing with a 2012 car with a VIN in the 1900's is that supercharging is likely restricted to 90kwh (the cutoff seems to be in 2500 range). If you have serious trouble falling asleep some night, you can read this monster thread: Older Tesla's limited to 90kW super charging

Another idea is to have Tesla service center take a look at it (assuming there's one nearby), maybe do a service, to see if they in a "hey-no-promises" kind of way kan hoist it up and see if anything looks out of place.

Haha, only after I've sent in my deposit :p

90kW charging isn't too bad, I'll probably whinge once I find a 120kW charger (most of SoCal is 90kW iirc)

Haha, only after I've sent in my deposit :p

90kW charging isn't too bad, I'll probably whinge once I find a 120kW charger (most of SoCal is 90kW iirc)

nope.. most of so.cal is 120kw.. but, the 90kw charging is likely not a deal-breeaker for you as long as you are aware of the difference prior to purchasing.. I think that disclosure is the main issue current "A" battery owners have. Also note that "A" batteries are *possibly" more prone to degradation, but it is too early in the game to reach a verdict.

nope.. most of so.cal is 120kw.. but, the 90kw charging is likely not a deal-breeaker for you as long as you are aware of the difference prior to purchasing.. I think that disclosure is the main issue current "A" battery owners have. Also note that "A" batteries are *possibly" more prone to degradation, but it is too early in the game to reach a verdict.

Really? Are SJC and LA 120kW?

I'll be based out of mission viejo so those are the only relevant superchargers IMHO

(And Barstow, but whatevz.)

Really? Are SJC and LA 120kW?

I'll be based out of mission viejo so those are the only relevant superchargers IMHO

(And Barstow, but whatevz.)

Hawthorne has moved up to 120 kW and SJC is just being built so, it's guaranteed to be 120. Barstow is stuck at 90 (and folks were reporting the slow charging speeds there recently) but, should be upgraded eventually.

Battery damage is the biggest concern if it was a bad collision. If it survived, and if you are getting a very good deal otherwise, I'd say don't think about resale value and just go for it (maybe, after a good inspection by a Tesla service center). Check the warranty coverage as well. Enjoy the car for as long as you can.

To what extent was the aluminum frame bent out of shape. Were any frame sections replaced or did they only need do a small amount of straightening. This is the main issue you need to understand. They should have photos of what they did. The rest of the car can be tested by any Service Center with their diagnostic tools.
--

Hi all,

Just confirmed and deposit placed. Now my Tesla Dashboard shows my car. YAY :)

The config is as follows:

Model S P85
Grey,
Black Perf Interior with Matt Obeche
Pano Roof
21" Silver wheels
CF Spoiler
Twin Chargers + HPWC
Tech Package
Smart Suspension
UHF Sound System
Parcel Shelf and
Paint Armor.

It has done ~10600 miles, was first registered Dec 2012, and the price was around ~$90k (without accident damage).

(I was ready to confirm it at that price, but then learning about the accident made me doubt it).

Then the price was revised because of the accident (which occured May 2013, fully repaired by Tesla auth repairers),

To those recommending me to get an inspection done at a Tesla Service Center, that won't be necessary. (I bought it from Tesla) :D

inb4theownerisonTMC.

Now to find a job in USA where I can stay for more than 6-12 months :p

Last edited:
Way I looked at it, would've cost me at least 60-80k more in Aus than in USA, so why not take the year off, (leave without pay), and enjoy the 60-80k (actually way more because I bought the pre-owned one).

In the meantime will keep an eye out for jobs.