Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at the used market for a Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could the lower fuse imply that the cable coming in, and the "tails", is a bit narrow-bore?

The smaller tails aren't long enough to matter. Max permitted length of tails is 3m; 16mm² drop 2.8mV/A/m so three metres at 30A charging current is 0.25V; 25mm² drop 1.8V/A/m so 0.16V under the same worst-case conditions. 0.09V difference between the two.

The supply cable could well be on the small side, but UKPN aren't proposing to do anything about that - they obviously believe that the voltage will still be within limits at the higher current if they just change the fuse. The voltage readings posted above seem to suggest the relatively low voltage is down to general load in the area rather than in this one house - it seemed to be fluctuating independent of the load drawn by the car. It would be interesting to do the experiment of winding the charge current up and down with the car's controls and seeing how much effect it has on the voltage.

Oh the irony; used the UMC to slow-charge overnight and this morning is the first time my wife has had a fully-charged car to go to work in!
Haha, I dont drive often so i exclusively charge via my UMC, i have it sitting in waterproof box, waking up with a charged car is one of the best things of driving an EV. The wife hates, hates filling up a car with petrol, she loves plugging in the Tesla!

I'd just like the wall charge box we've invested in to be doing the job instead...

I have been trying to get a smart meter installed so I can move to an overnight Tariff, i spent £1k getting my consumer unit upgraded and my electrical work brought up to code to finally then have a smart meter fitted....that cant talk to the outside world, a complete wast of time and a thousand pound.

i would love a wall box, but until i can charge cheaply overnight i don't need the added speed. I'm hoping you get yours sorted!

I have been trying to get a smart meter installed so I can move to an overnight Tariff, i spent £1k getting my consumer unit upgraded and my electrical work brought up to code to finally then have a smart meter fitted....that cant talk to the outside world, a complete wast of time and a thousand pound.

i would love a wall box, but until i can charge cheaply overnight i don't need the added speed. I'm hoping you get yours sorted!

Is that a mobile data signal issue? I think smart meters can't work with domestic WiFi for some reason.

Just had a call from the ROLEC box supplier and they're going to bring replacement parts and check the box next week.

This evening's attempt at home charging:
Screenshot_20190517_193632_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg

I will be told early next week when sparky will visit with spares for suspected faulty ROLEC components.

@arg They also concurred that a main 100A fuse wasn't critical, but sensible and they hadn't meant to imply the fuse was the cause of the charging unreliability. I jumped to conclusions, apologies :)

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 MO tyres are fitted to our 70D (standard 19in wheels). The Tesla delivery chap who handed the car over to me said they might have been new fitted by Tesla as part of the CPO refurbishing process. But 'MO' means 'Mercedes' so I'm not so sure.

The previous owner I've been in contact with told me the tyres were replaced when he had the car at 18,000 miles. That means if these are his tyres they would be 12,000 miles old.

I haven't really looked into the service records of our car, I'm guessing it's all paperless. Is there online access or do I email or phone Tesla Service?

But 'MO' means 'Mercedes' so I'm not so sure.

Pretty sure I had Mercedes OEM Tyres on mine, at delivery (that's 3 years ago ...)

the tyres were replaced when he had the car at 18,000 miles

I got 30,000 miles out of mine, I don't exactly hang about :rolleyes: but a lot of my miles are ACC on Dual Carriageway ... I wonder if 18,000 miles was over cautious, or cornered mostly on 2 wheels?

Pretty sure I had Mercedes OEM Tyres on mine, at delivery (that's 3 years ago ...)

I got 30,000 miles out of mine, I don't exactly hang about :rolleyes: but a lot of my miles are ACC on Dual Carriageway ... I wonder if 18,000 miles was over cautious, or cornered mostly on 2 wheels?

The previous owner now has a P100D :D But from what he says he's not a lunatic driver :)

I think the Primacy tyres last a lot longer than Pilot Sports. And I also thought Michelin had a code for Tesla OEM tyres.

Yes, they do (available from online tyre sellers) ... but perhaps Tesla cosy with Mercedes meant that some came via that route? Maybe Mercedes did Tesla a favour on a bulk purchase or somesuch ...

They certainly did in the early days. Among other things, the Model S gear lever/cruise control lever were from the Mercedes/Daimler parts bin, so much so that when Merc changed the design, Tesla had to follow suit.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Been out for a change with me driving today :D Is it just me or are other drivers a helluva lot more respectful of Teslas? Lots of waving me through narrow gaps and waving acknowledgments - all very polite :D

Another interesting observation: my wife managed 257Wh/mile on Sunday; a very tentative drive into central London via the M25 and M11. Her commute on Monday was about 300Wh/mile. By Tuesday it was 330Wh/mile. Yesterday it was up to 370Wh/mile... hehe :D I'm also cyberstalking her with the Tesla App!

Been out for a change with me driving today :D Is it just me or are other drivers a helluva lot more respectful of Teslas? Lots of waving me through narrow gaps and waving acknowledgments - all very polite :D

Another interesting observation: my wife managed 257Wh/mile on Sunday; a very tentative drive into central London via the M25 and M11. Her commute on Monday was about 300Wh/mile. By Tuesday it was 330Wh/mile. Yesterday it was up to 370Wh/mile... hehe :D I'm also cyberstalking her with the Tesla App!

Haha I average below 300, my Mrs however has a heavy foot :) She averages about 370! We have a road trip to Bristol next weekend and it will be the first time since owning the car I will be forced to supercharge on the move, going to give the car a bit of a range test too! hoping to get well over 200 miles of motorway driving in our 75d.

Haha I average below 300, my Mrs however has a heavy foot :) She averages about 370! We have a road trip to Bristol next weekend and it will be the first time since owning the car I will be forced to supercharge on the move, going to give the car a bit of a range test too! hoping to get well over 200 miles of motorway driving in our 75d.

My wife is clearly getting progressively more confident - she especially enjoys leaving the pack behind where possible :D

We're in a similar situation and going on a road trip (day trip) to France this coming Saturday. I expect this will be our first time Supercharging. I want to decisively beat the eergy consumption estimates on A Better Routeplanner

Last edited:
I knew Merc stalks and window/mirror controls were used. Have these ever changed on the Model S?

The stalks have - the relative positions of indicator stalk and cruise control stalk changed, maybe around 2015-2016, can't remember exactly.

At the time of the Model S production start (2012), Daimler still had a significant shareholding in Tesla and there was significant evidence of supply chain assistance; I can't remember specific stories around tyres (though there was a point that they were airfreighting tyres from europe as it was the constraint on deliveries!) but it would have been entirely consistent to have Mercedes codes on tyres at that time.

Reactions: vitesse
For those of you still following this thread (get a life, people! :D) - I have been almost universally praiseworthy of Tesla and the CPO purchase of our 70D. I think the initial rather long delivery delay, which was eventually shortened nicely, has been the only real negative.

So I must reveal there have been a few niggles with the car and it will be interesting to see how Tesla deal with them.

But before I go any further - the delivery team at West Drayton very kindly printed a set of plates with our cherished registration and I collected them earlier today. There was no mention of any charge, either :) Basically, I already had a set of plates but the 'German' style plate holders on the car are too slim for the thicker UK-spec plates I have. So a gold star for Tesla for that!

So what are the problems I've alluded to?:

1. The black roof trim at nearside rear where it meets the rear window glass is not stuck down properly. It's about a centimetre above where it should be and I can see underneath the trim part. It was actually visible, if you look carefully, in the preview photos you're sent as a substitute for viewing the car in person prior to purchase. But it wasn't flagged as an imperfection and is clearly not right. I'm not expecting an issue with that being rectified.

2. One paint blemish on the rear nearside door, very low and only noticeable if you look down, is much worse in reality than it looked in the preview photos. I've sent photos to Tesla service via the delivery team. I wish I'd spotted this when I collected the car, but I didn't. Possibly because the flagged area looked more than acceptable in the photos supplied by Tesla. Also, the rest of the paintwork looks excellent.

3. The power tailgate doesn't go high enough. My wife is 5'5" and she bumps her head on it! One owner who is six foot assured me he's more than comfortable with the height his Tesla's tailgate goes. I've tried reprogramming the height as instructed and it never goes higher than a certain level. Approaching the physical limit of the tailgate height you can't program that height any more and the tailgate also refused to close by itself. That could be normal - I don't know.

But that's all, really. The rest of the issues we've had are all simply about learning how to use the functions in the car and we're learning all the time!