Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ipdamages

Roadster Sport 835
Sep 25, 2011
Las Vegas Area
Hello. First time caller, long time listener. In other words, I've been lurking for some time and now have reason to post.

For some time I have been looking to obtain a Roadster, waiting until the right car came along, lurking here and observing elsewhere (eBay, Yahoo, AOL, Craigslist, mycarsite...). I've driven a 2.5 Sport at the LA dealer and a 1.5 that my friend in the Bay Area owns (#69, methinks it is). The purpose of this posting is to share what I know and inquire of others.

I have been in some form of dialogue with the sellers of cars 31, 34, and a silver 1.5 with a VIN I don't yet know (will be on the market next week). I have also talked with the Tesla dealer in LA and I understand that the plan was to ship the remaining 2.5 Sports in the US to Europe in early October. They were selling those cars for retail less $1 per mile for the demos. If anyone wants details on the cars to which I referred above, PM me.

As I mentioned, I am looking for a Roadster. I prefer these exterior colors:

Best:
Yellow

Good:
Twilight Blue
Silver

OK:
Black
Fusion Red

Would repaint:
All others

In terms of model # and Sport, I am open to ideas and willing to pay for a better car, but the market for 1.5s with few miles and still strong batteries is good for buyers and likely to improve for buyers (IMHO) when Model S owners sell their cars. I believe that that also impacts the market for 2.0s and 2.5s (and 2.25s). In other words, I agree that cars like 868 are overpriced (the orange 2.0 Sport), as well as some of the others that are sitting out there but have owners that don't seem to be in much of a hurry to sell the cars (e.g., 422). Of course, who can blame them for wanting to keep the cars rather than selling them for a low price?!

I happened upon the silver "not-on-the-market" car when I was inquiring about #314 and the seller told me he had sold it but he knew about another. So I'm asking whether anyone has either 1) a desire to sell their car, or 2) knows of someone who doesn't really drive their car or otherwise might want to sell it. As I indicated, I'm particularly fond of yellow, but I'm flexible. I'm also flexible on the options and somewhat on mileage - but that interior on car 32 is a no for me. Blech. Also, I'd prefer to have less mileage than 25K (like car #52).

I'm in the LA area, but I'm flexible on location as well, as evidenced by my interest in #31 (in Denver), #34 (in Indiana), and the silver car (in South Carolina). I'm looking to pay a market price, and all else equal I'd prefer not to pay a middle man like eBay or a broker/dealer for a service that is potentially unnecessary.

- Chris

The #31 car on ebay is a vp car. I'm amazed that it's been bid up that high. At this point getting a decent price on a used roadster is going to be tough. I wish you luck.

The #32 he mentioned is apparently a VP as well:
Tesla : ROADSTER | eBay
If you see a "V" in the VIN, I think that signifies Validation Prototype.
I would expect that the VP cars have had a LOT of different drivers, including perhaps loans to press.

Note, for low numbered cars, you really do want to understand which. For instance, if all you say is something like #13 it could be a Founders', VP, Sig 100 or even a European Sig car... There is more than one Roadster you could call #31 or #32...

The ep/vp cars also have much poorer fit and finish, so if you can live with that(or if someone is that desperate for a roadster) then more power to them.

I have seen 1.5 cars go for less than the asking price on these two vp cars....

Thanks for all of these insights. I did not have an appreciation for the VP distinction and its meaning.

As for the paint issue, I spoke with someone in the LA dealership and he referred me to Avio Coach Craft, which is a very high end body shop that is about five blocks from LA Tesla. I had them repair and repaint the front bumper on an Elise a few years ago and they did an excellent job. I spoke with their manager about it and I understand that they have repainted several Roadsters and know how to take them apart to do the job properly, change the weather stripping on the doors, and generally attend to the necessary details. Unfortunately, the price is about $10K. But this seems to be one of those areas in which you get what you pay for.

I also just saw a listing go up on autos.yahoo.com for a car in Chicago. The listing had only a minimum of information and the phone number was a wrong number, so it appears to be a fraudulent listing.

10K sounds like a fair price for a paint job like that done right.

Thanks for all of these insights. I did not have an appreciation for the VP distinction and its meaning.

As for the paint issue, I spoke with someone in the LA dealership and he referred me to Avio Coach Craft, which is a very high end body shop that is about five blocks from LA Tesla. I had them repair and repaint the front bumper on an Elise a few years ago and they did an excellent job. I spoke with their manager about it and I understand that they have repainted several Roadsters and know how to take them apart to do the job properly, change the weather stripping on the doors, and generally attend to the necessary details. Unfortunately, the price is about $10K. But this seems to be one of those areas in which you get what you pay for.

I also just saw a listing go up on autos.yahoo.com for a car in Chicago. The listing had only a minimum of information and the phone number was a wrong number, so it appears to be a fraudulent listing.

High heat is not good for battery packs. If there are heat lamps, then the car might try to run the A/C and fans to keep the pack cooler.
Ideally one would paint body panels off of the car, and not do anything to heat up the battery pack.

I have car 255 a Twighlight Blue Roadster in very good condition. It has about 6500 miles and has been well maintained. I have only had it for 7 months but have put on the vast majority of miles.

It has the hard top, Navigation system (upgraded stereo), UMC 240 and a J-1772 adapter cord. I also had the soundproofing kit added and it is above and beyond the normal soundproofing kit as I also added 4 Dynamat kits to take the sound proofing to a new level.

I can go on an on about the car and have many pictures. I would let it go at $85,000. I realize you may be able to get one for less and if so GOOD FOR YOU. I really do not want to sell it but as I said would consider it for any offer above $85,000. Below that I want to remain a happy Tesla Owner.

Actually I had a great time showing the car at the Knoxville Plug-in Event in Knoxville Friday and then Kingsport's plug in event today!

dh, just curious, are you planning on a Model S and just getting a jump on the competition? If so, very smart!

Looks like a great car! If I wasn't saving up for the S, I'd be buying a good used Roadster and blue's my favorite color. :)

I might get a model S but I would most likely build an EV. I have one conversion under my belt and two plug in hybrid conversions. This Tesla fell into my lap and it has been wonderful. But I have never had much money and even this used Roadster cost me more than my next 3 cars combined. So I kind of think I am out of my league with the Roadster. Also being an engineer, I want to be able to tinker and it is hard for me to do that on a $100,000 car with no manual. So if I designed and built the car I know I can maintain it.

But after attending EVCCON I know I can never build a car quite like the Roadster. The Roadster is truely in a class all of it's own as it took first place in the 1/4 mile and in the Autocross.

Webb Farrer is in your area and has a 2010 2.5 Silver Tesla. He's got some older ones as well - his webpage is webbwax.com

Augie

Hello. First time caller, long time listener. In other words, I've been lurking for some time and now have reason to post.

For some time I have been looking to obtain a Roadster, waiting until the right car came along, lurking here and observing elsewhere (eBay, Yahoo, AOL, Craigslist, mycarsite...). I've driven a 2.5 Sport at the LA dealer and a 1.5 that my friend in the Bay Area owns (#69, methinks it is). The purpose of this posting is to share what I know and inquire of others.

I have been in some form of dialogue with the sellers of cars 31, 34, and a silver 1.5 with a VIN I don't yet know (will be on the market next week). I have also talked with the Tesla dealer in LA and I understand that the plan was to ship the remaining 2.5 Sports in the US to Europe in early October. They were selling those cars for retail less $1 per mile for the demos. If anyone wants details on the cars to which I referred above, PM me.

As I mentioned, I am looking for a Roadster. I prefer these exterior colors:

Best:
Yellow

Good:
Twilight Blue
Silver

OK:
Black
Fusion Red

Would repaint:
All others

In terms of model # and Sport, I am open to ideas and willing to pay for a better car, but the market for 1.5s with few miles and still strong batteries is good for buyers and likely to improve for buyers (IMHO) when Model S owners sell their cars. I believe that that also impacts the market for 2.0s and 2.5s (and 2.25s). In other words, I agree that cars like 868 are overpriced (the orange 2.0 Sport), as well as some of the others that are sitting out there but have owners that don't seem to be in much of a hurry to sell the cars (e.g., 422). Of course, who can blame them for wanting to keep the cars rather than selling them for a low price?!

I happened upon the silver "not-on-the-market" car when I was inquiring about #314 and the seller told me he had sold it but he knew about another. So I'm asking whether anyone has either 1) a desire to sell their car, or 2) knows of someone who doesn't really drive their car or otherwise might want to sell it. As I indicated, I'm particularly fond of yellow, but I'm flexible. I'm also flexible on the options and somewhat on mileage - but that interior on car 32 is a no for me. Blech. Also, I'd prefer to have less mileage than 25K (like car #52).

I'm in the LA area, but I'm flexible on location as well, as evidenced by my interest in #31 (in Denver), #34 (in Indiana), and the silver car (in South Carolina). I'm looking to pay a market price, and all else equal I'd prefer not to pay a middle man like eBay or a broker/dealer for a service that is potentially unnecessary.

- Chris

DH - I PM'd you.

I understand that the Avio Coach Craft people have been informed about the need to remove the panels and they do so when painting Roadsters - almost all of the panels are removed to paint the car. That said, I'd prefer not to paint it if it can be avoided.

I left a message for Webb Farrer. I prefer the forged wheels (1.5 or 2.5) to the split five-spoke wheels (those are on the silver 2.5 Webb has), but I figure I can pick up some of the forged wheels, or perhaps even some of the other wheel options people have been considering. I also would prefer to get the car for a market price - judging by the deal you got, Augie, maybe I should hire you to be my agent. We'll see how the conversation goes with Webb.

I suppose I could just sit and wait as in a year I expect there will be plenty of used Roadsters for sale, which should drive prices down, but I don't feel like waiting a year. Delayed enjoyment is overrated.

- Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.