Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a Special Charging Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a dryer outlet. It is in my daughter's house. She lives in Gaylord MI, which seems to be a dead zone regarding EV charging of any kind. And that is odd since it is right along I75.

I don't want to have her change the outlet because then her dryer won't plug in any more. But I might have found some NEMA 14-50R to 10-50P adapters. I think that this would work. Tesla automatically adjust for the average available so whether or not it is 30 AMP or 50 AMP shouldn't matter (I think).

Thanks very much for your replies and suggestions so far. I my ideal world there would be any kind of EV charger in Gaylord. But maybe wishful thinking.
Tesla actually used to make an adapter for this type of plug. I bought one used from a TMC member. You may want to post a "looking to buy" thread before you go with an non-tesla adapter ...

Under NEC, anything that's over 2 hours has to use no more than 80% of the circuit wire/breaker rating - so if you're sure it's a 30A circuit, you should set the car to 24A.
Actually, the continuous cutoff is 3 hours, not 2. But that doesn't really matter, since NEC 625.14 says all EV charging, regardless of duration, is to be considered a continuous load.
Tesla actually used to make an adapter for this type of plug. I bought one used from a TMC member. You may want to post a "looking to buy" thread before you go with an non-tesla adapter ...
Are you sure? They made a 10-30 (I have one), but I've never seen/heard of a native Tesla 10-50 adapter.

IMG_0511.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG
That's funny because I have both ...
Oops sorry I was wrong I have the 6-50 welder plug. Also have a 10-30 and a 14-30 but NOT a 10-50 ... I was conflating the 6-50 and the 10-30. Looked in my car to confirm. My apologies for the confusion.