Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for another EV cars, thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mattack4000

Oct 1, 2017
CA
I am three months away from turning in my Tercedes (B class), I am going back and forth on what I want to do. I want to see what everyone's thoughts are.

Before I start, let me say this is my wife's vehicle. It will strictly be used for 40 miles RT commuting with an occasional errands run, the car will rarely be used to transport anyone other than the driver as we have two other SUV. It will rarely be driven on the weekend, it might do an occasional 200-300 miles weekend trip if we can't take the MX. The car will be parked outside and we will look for a 10K miles/yr lease. We have access to charging at home and work.

Our priority in our choice is the following.

#1 HOV sticker
#2 Safety
#3 Cost (we set the budget to $275/month, but I am flexible. I can afford more, I just don't want to spend the money)
#4 Range

With all that in mind, I have ranked my choices to the following. What do you guys think?

#1 Bolt (Not a fan of Chevy and the dorky look, but probably best of the pack)
#2 BMW I3 (Getting long in the tooth, weird looking and pricey for what it is)
#3 Clarity Plug In (I think this will be too pricey)

I would only get these car if it is dirt cheap
Volt, Leaf, Focus, 500e, Clarity Electric, Pacifica

These cars I am not actively considering because they are overbudget
A3 E-Tron, e-Golf, c350e, GLC350e, Tesla, Prius Prime, all Volvo products

These cars I am ruling out because of reliability issues
Kia & Hyundai cars

Cars I simply don't like or want
Smart EV (dangerous), Mirai (fugly)

I think that if you're willing to keep it for 5 years, getting a used 2014 Volt could be a good buy.
Past the 36k full warranty miles seem to be plenty around $13.5k. Should be able to find them with HOV stickers.
Will cover the miles on electric (especially with workplace charging).
Good safety record.
Insurance and taxes should be relatively low, helping to keep TCO down.

Alternative, you might be able to find deals on Gen 2 Volt leases. Gen 2 would _definitely_ cover miles in EV.
You'd have 1
For San Jose, CA, Chevy's site is listing$2,500 + $201/month + $395 disposition. 10,000 per year, 36 months, on a 2018 LT Volt**. Works out $281/month.

Seems a bit early in the year to get the really good compliance deals.

**Current Owners and Lessees of 1999 or newer Daewoo, Daihatsu, Honda, Hyundai, Isuzu, Kia, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Scion, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota vehicles: Payments are based on an MSRP of $34,095. 36 monthly payments total $7,236. 35 monthly payments total $7,035. Must show proof of ownership/lease. Option to purchase at lease end for an amount to be determined at lease signing. Lessor must approve lease. Take delivery by 04-02-2018. Lessee pays for maintenance, repair, excess wear and disposition fee of $395 or less at end of lease. Payments may be higher in some states. Not available with other offers.

Current stickers expire after dec 31, so need to purchase a new car. I am likely going to lease instead of buy , already have enough cars. Volt will certainly be an option if is cheaper than bolt. If they are similar in price, I go all out with bolt