TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

looking for front license plate installation solutions

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ramsey.rick, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ramsey.rick

ramsey.rick New Member

need to find way of installing front license plate holders

2. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Use wire zip ties and attach it to the grill below the cone.

3. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

Rick: The Tesla license plate holder is (in my opinion) is the best solution. The back of the nose cone has marks where the holes go so the license plate holder is perfectly aligned. It's an easy, no brainer, and Tesla-approved factory solution.

4. gnelson

gnelson Member

#4 gnelson, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  5. dailydriver

dailydriver Member

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I kind of agree. I've found fancy ways around drilling the bumper on every previous car I've owned, but I see no point to it on the Model S. The factory location is on the black nosecone, which is easily removable, costs only a few hundred dollars, and doesn't require painting. If you decide down the road that you want the license plate back off, buy a new nosecone and pop it on.

Most of the aftermarket solutions require either drilling into the actual painted bumper, or affixing the plate to the bumper semi-rigidly in a way that can cause paint damage.

The only reason I can see to go with one of the aftermarket options is if you want to drive with it off most of the time, but easily install it every once in awhile when you travel to places that enforce front plates aggressively.

7. santana338

santana338 Member

8. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

9. liuping

liuping Active Member

I really like the magneplate.com mount.

It's currently only for use when parked, but a drivable version is coming soon.

The nice thing is you can pull it off anytime you want for pictures, etc. All that are left when it's off are the black posts In the grill, which are very hard to see.

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

The best solution is to not mount the front license plate at all.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Assuming of course they have your revision of the nosecone still available. (AFAIK, we know of two customer nosecone variants so far.)

12. bradhs

bradhs Member

I used heavy duty magnets and have had great success. I can take my front license plate on and off real easily. The magnets are extremely strong and it requires effort to get the plate off. I used PlastiDip to create a rubberized contact patch.

13. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I don't suspect they'll be stopping nosecone production over at least the 5-7 years I own the vehicle. Accidents happen, and there has to be a way to repair crash damage on a brand new mass-produced car. I suppose its a risk, but it's ridiculously small. If you're worried, you could buy the replacement now and hang into it.

Also, wasn't the new nosecone a drop-in replacement for the original version? I thought even some of the original owners upgraded to the new version.

14. sonysw

sonysw Member

15. liuping

liuping Active Member

I agree, but there are some areas, San Francisco for example, that will ticket you just for parking on the street.

That's why I like the magneplate solution. It only on when it needs to be.

16. JPP

JPP Active Member

...and I refuse to apply a front plate, parked or not, and so far have dodged a ticket (in the SF Bay Area for over 25 years without a front plate and not infrequent parking in SF proper). Lucky, I guess. YMMV.

17. lesmoe

lesmoe New Member

hi all.. i used 1/8in 4 in long toggle bolts and two washers .. they just fit the grill openings.. to mount the tesla supplied plate holder.. washers because the holes in the holder a just a bit larger than the head of the toggle bolt.
    no holes in nose cone required.. lol

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I also used that approach. Cheap, easy, secure, no holes drilled.

19. jbruce

jbruce Member