Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for options on dampers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SammichLover

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Yup
I know @MountainPass and @UnpluggedP both have coil-over kits. However, in its unfathomable infinite wisdom SCCA has allowed Solo Street class cars to have the factory shocks substituted with something materially better, including double adjustable dampers, as long as they attach to the car's factory mounting points. However any non-factory spec spring will bump you up the class tree, which is where you don't want to be with the Model 3.

I know @MountainPass and @UnpluggedP both have coil-over kits. However, in its unfathomable infinite wisdom SCCA has allowed Solo Street class cars to have the factory shocks substituted with something materially better, including double adjustable dampers, as long as they attach to the car's factory mounting points. However any non-factory spec spring will bump you up the class tree, which is where you don't want to be with the Model 3.
I ordered a set of the sport coil overs from MPP and they are making me a mount to use with the stock springs that will be compliant with the SCCA rules in Street class. It will also have the mount so I can run there springs when I am done with autocross this season.

I ordered a set of the sport coil overs from MPP and they are making me a mount to use with the stock springs that will be compliant with the SCCA rules in Street class. It will also have the mount so I can run there springs when I am done with autocross this season.
How do the mounts/springs differ? Are these just the front springs you're referring to?

How do the mounts/springs differ? Are these just the front springs you're referring to?
In SCCA street class you are not allowed to change the springs, the rear is a simple shock change. The front, being a strut, requires the spring to be mounted on your new shock. SCCA requires that the mounting position be exactly the same. This then requires a custom mount on the new shock to accommodate the OEM spring. Unfortunately no shock manufacturer is making a shock replacement to fit with the stock springs, so custom mounts it is.

Front stock to upgrade

Attachments

• Tesla stock strut.jpeg
    Tesla stock strut.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Tesla MPP suspension.jpg
    Tesla MPP suspension.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 61
With the inherent lower center of gravity, and the quality of the stock Model 3 performance shocks, I do not expect upgraded shocks to make as much difference on short tracks as with other cars.

Soon the aftermarket will be adapting various high quality shocks for the Tesla market.

Ultimate will be when they can use electronics to adjust shocks on the fly, with the Tesla on board monitors/computers.

With the inherent lower center of gravity, and the quality of the stock Model 3 performance shocks, I do not expect upgraded shocks to make as much difference on short tracks as with other cars.
You can “not expect” whatever you want but the stock coilovers have a hard time controlling the car at the track, as anyone who has tracked the car can attest. And many have significantly reduced their times after upgrading the coilovers. Also, what does length of the track have to with this?:confused: