Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for USB guidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on the elderly side, so I am asking for your patience. Up until last week I was able to get my USB to work the last few years by unplugging it, waiitng 10 seconds, and plugging it back in. The USB icon would show up and I woud be fine for that day unless the car was off for more than an hour or so. Then the other day I got a message on the screen sayng the USB was no longer compatible, and it would no longer work. MY daughter and son-in-law work in IT and understand this stuff (goes right over my head). Could someone be so kind as to tell me step-by-step just what my daughter will need to do to get my songs from my computer (or existing USB) onto a USB that will work. Thank you in advance for your help.

We do not have the dashcam USB in either car (S and a 3). We tried it when this feature was 1st offered to us, but it was just a pain (recording everything and no easy way to view the relevant pics). The final straw was when we couldn't get my dashcam to shutoff-----no matter what we did it was always on......to much battery drain in the winter for something we didn't use.

My daughter set up the in initial music USB for me, but that was years ago, and I am just trying to get all the steps she needs before I approach her again to make it as easy as possible for her.

USB drives have a finite lifetime, and the life can be shorter in a car where the temperatures are far more extreme than 99% of consumer USB drives that are intended for 70F. A format might give it a little more life, but I suspect the drive is a goner. Not at all unusual.

Here are my recommendations: Recommended Drives for the Tesla Dashcam – TeslaTap

I don't get any money or freebees from these recommendations - just ones I've found work well.

We do not have the dashcam USB in either car (S and a 3). We tried it when this feature was 1st offered to us, but it was just a pain (recording everything and no easy way to view the relevant pics). The final straw was when we couldn't get my dashcam to shutoff-----no matter what we did it was always on......to much battery drain in the winter for something we didn't use.

My daughter set up the in initial music USB for me, but that was years ago, and I am just trying to get all the steps she needs before I approach her again to make it as easy as possible for her.
The dashcam uses hardly any power unless Sentry Mode is also enabled. The dashcam is supposed to be on all the time when the car is active, so that's normal.

Your daughter can try reformatting the USB and recopying the music files there. It's possible FAT32 was the only format supported the first time she did that, but she can use exFAT now. I've been using the same music USB for years without any corruption issues, but playback from USB has been quirky for years (because of car, not the USB drive). Corruption is more likely on a dashcam USB because it's being written to.

EV---think I recall your name from the 'old' Tesla Forum where you were always extremely helpful. I just asked my wife, and we both 'think' it was the Sentry Mode" we couldn't turn off. I seem to recall a little red light would go on went Sentry was on, and no matter what we tried the light would never go off. Anyway------ we rarely drive anywhere that Sentry would be a big deal (now I jinxed my self and will get hit while parked at the super market)------the cars are garaged 90% of the time; 9% of the time parked in one of children's driveways as we babysit; and 1% driving the 3 miles back and forth to their homes and to the grocery store in town.

You are correct ------it was the FAT32 used for the music USB. I just took a picture of your suggestion above and will pass it along to my daughter this weekend. Thank you very much for the input----it is greatly appreciated ---as was your insight and help on the 'old' Forum.

EV---think I recall your name from the 'old' Tesla Forum where you were always extremely helpful. I just asked my wife, and we both 'think' it was the Sentry Mode" we couldn't turn off. I seem to recall a little red light would go on went Sentry was on, and no matter what we tried the light would never go off. Anyway------ we rarely drive anywhere that Sentry would be a big deal (now I jinxed my self and will get hit while parked at the super market)------the cars are garaged 90% of the time; 9% of the time parked in one of children's driveways as we babysit; and 1% driving the 3 miles back and forth to their homes and to the grocery store in town.

You are correct ------it was the FAT32 used for the music USB. I just took a picture of your suggestion above and will pass it along to my daughter this weekend. Thank you very much for the input----it is greatly appreciated ---as was your insight and help on the 'old' Forum.
Thanks for the kind words. You can configure Sentry Mode to remain off at home and other favorite locations, so you can still use it only where you need it. Sentry Mode will only turn on when you're parked, and if it's on, you'll see a red dot at the top of the touchscreen (or an empty circle if Sentry is off). The dashcam is a separate squarish icon, which you can display in the bottom toolbar of the touchscreen, and it has a red dot that appears when the dashcam is recording.

Depending on which car you have, a Sentry Mode alarm event (one that triggers the Sentry Mode alarm and sends a notification from the mobile app) will save a video recording in the car's onboard memory, so you can still view that even without a USB drive. The internal memory only saves the most recent Sentry Mode alarm event.