Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB port periodically losing connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I have a SATA SSD with my FLAC's connected to one of the front console USB ports. I'm finding with the colder, damper weather in winter, it is tending to lose its connection and not be recognized by the car upon startup. It will begin working again for a few days if I pull the cable and reseat it, but this is a somewhat fraught and annoying operation to undertake while driving, and I worry that the car's connector will degrade over time after repeatedly doing this. Additionally, doing so will cause the car to rescan the entire drive; and scanning a half TB of FLAC's can take a good portion of the drive...

I thought to lightly coat the USB cable end with dielectric grease to inhibit this, but looking for any advice from people who've also experienced this and mitigated it in some way. Thanks for any help!

ianc

I think you need to determine if the issue is with the cable or the drive itself. If it's the cable, then simply using a higher quality cable or an extension socket (that may possibly take away strain) may solve your issues. If it's the drive, that will do nothing to solve your problem.

The fact that the drive is recognized again when I reseat the cable in the car's USB port would point to either the cable or the car's USB connector rather than the drive. There are two USB connectors in the front console. The other has the Dashcam's microSD card in it and I have experienced no problems with it. Yet...

The fact that the drive is recognized again when I reseat the cable in the car's USB port would point to either the cable or the car's USB connector rather than the drive. There are two USB connectors in the front console. The other has the Dashcam's microSD card in it and I have experienced no problems with it. Yet...
Why don't you swap the port then and try? Reseating and it working does not necessarily mean it's the cable or car USB connector. Reseating triggers the car to remount the drive, which may also solve issues if the problem is the drive itself.

I don't see how grease would help. I have never heard of it improving things if you have an intermittent connection, especially when talking about a digital connection. From a quick search, it is used as a coating to prevent corrosion.