Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for what the cost of using a regular 120v outlet is?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joose

Jul 28, 2015
Austin
I share ownership of a small office building and my other co-owners are cheapskates. I have an oppty to build a 120 or 240 v plug into a light pole to occasionally charge during the workday. I need to figure out the dollar cost of say 8hrs a week, on a 120 and a 240 (using only 208) to make my case. Does anyone know how much power a 2015 S80 draws on those 2 configurations?

Assuming 20 amp circuit:

120v x 16A (max draw on 20A circuit) = 1.9kw

Assuming 15 amp circuit:

120v x 12A (max draw on a 15A circuit) = 1.4kw

Assuming 30 amp 208v:

208v x 24A (max draw on 30A circuit) = 5kw

Figure out any other combination of
Voltage/amperage with the equation:

Voltage x ((0.8) x circuit amperage) = power in watts

Multiply the kw figure by the number of hours you anticipate charging per week, then multiply that by the estimated price per kWh your business pays for electricity.

Just as a really rough estimate:

Let’s say you install a 5kW charger and use it 8 hours a week. That’s 40kWh a week. Or 160 kWh a month.

Obviously you should look at a power bill and see how much you’re utility is charging per kWh. Let’s just say it’s $0.15 / kWh.

Using the above numbers that equates to $24 a month. Hope it won’t break the “cheapskate” partners bank.

Reactions: KJD
Here is what you need to know.

1 amp = 120 watts
1000 watts = 1kw

Scenario 1:
20 amp breaker at 120 volts will charge your car at 12amps that’s just how Tesla has it setup for 120 volt. 12 x 120 = 1440 watts or 1.4kw. Multiply 1.4kw x cents per KW (look on your power bill) x 8 hours. Let’s say your 25 cents per kw. That’s 35 cents per hour or $2.80 per day

Scenario 2:
50 amp 220 volt (208 it’s all the same really) utilizes 40amps at the charger so if you have the old mobile connector. But here is the thing 220 volt uses 2 110 legs so your not pulling 40amps your pulling 80 amps just 40 amps on one leg and 40 amps on the other so... your charging at 9.6 kw per hour or $2.80 per hour using 25 cents per hour. Assuming 6 hours cause I doubt you’ll need to charge for 8 hours. $16.80 for 6 hours or just about $20 for 8. But really doubt charge for 8 hours unless you burned through your whole battery getting to work. In fact I doubt you’ll charge 6 hours.

Your charge is a function or your depletion so it’s hard to say how much it will cost not knowing your battery % used to get to work or your power rates.

Better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. Also coming from a very strong real estate background if you’re 50% owner they would be hard press to block you.

Let’s say you install a 5kW charger and use it 8 hours a week. That’s 40kWh a week. Or 160 kWh a month.

Obviously you should look at a power bill and see how much you’re utility is charging per kWh. Let’s just say it’s $0.15 / kWh.

Using the above numbers that equates to $24 a month. Hope it won’t break the “cheapskate” partners bank.

Yes, in the grand scheme of things it's peanuts. If they are going to be like that I would check to see if one of them uses the fridge/microwave/turns on the lights more often than others, or it someone drinks more coffee than the others, or if someone flushes the toilet more often, then they should be paying more for water usage. It could get pretty stupid if you wanted it to be.

Sounds like a divorce waiting to happen.

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
1 amp = 120 watts
Only at 120 volts.

Scenario 1:
20 amp breaker at 120 volts will charge your car at 12amps that’s just how Tesla has it setup for 120 volt.

No. A NEMA 5-20 adapter will pull 16 amps on a 20 amp circuit.
But here is the thing 220 volt uses 2 110 legs so your not pulling 40amps your pulling 80 amps just 40 amps on one leg and 40 amps on the other
No. Electricity doesn’t work that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: DriveMe and JD01

For those who don't actually have an electric car yet, this is the most realistic use case at 240 volts.

No matter how long you're plugged in, you'll probably only be charging for an hour or two daily. Unless you drive hundreds of miles to get to work, your battery won't be empty.

Bear in mind that higher amperage charges faster, but costs the same. Say you drove 30 miles to work and used 1 gallon of gas. Filling your tank will cost the same no matter how you pump the gas. Electric cars are no different. Instead of using a gallon of gas, you used 10 kWh of electricity. Filling your battery will cost whatever your power company charges for 10 kWh regardless of how you're plugged in or how fast you charge.

As others have said in a more roundabout way, you're asking the wrong question and providing the wrong information. The car will pull the same amount of power through all configurations. What changes is how long it takes to do it Everyone will highly recommend the 240v configuration (because it's by far the better choice) but if you're only driving 5 or 10 miles to work, feel free use a 110 outlet. Just plug in when you get to work and you'll be fully charged by the end of the day. Anything more than 20 miles and you should definitely consider 240v because you won't be fully charged after 8 hours.

Anyway, we need to know how far you drive if we're going to help you figure this out. As a rough guess, take car's range and divide it by the battery size. Next, divide the number of miles you drive to work by that number. That gives you how many kWh you'll use during your daily drive in a perfect world. I'd adjust it (upward in most cases) by 10 to 20% to account for real world driving. Once you have that, round it up to the nearest whole number and multiply it by the cost of electricity where you are. That's how much you should expect the charging to cost per day.

Since you already have a Tesla, you can skip the guesstimate and just pull how many kWh you used from the trip odometer.

Reactions: blake99111
My understanding is that charging at 120v is less efficient than 240v. I've seen this discussed in many threads, here's an example: Is 120V charging really less efficient?
The efficiency of charging does not affect the cost of electricity from the source (which is the subject of this thread). If you charger 2hrs a day, you pay for 2hrs a day worth of electricity, no matter how much of it end up in your battery.

I used to charge at 120v 15 amp and 240v 30amp all the time. If you do the math the difference between them should be a factor of 4 (double current, double the voltage). I used to get approximately 3.5 mph on 120v and 18 mph on 240v. So yes there is definitely some inefficiency charging at 120v...about a 22% loss.

I need to figure out the dollar cost of say 8hrs a week, on a 120 and a 240 (using only 208) to make my case.
Just 8hrs a week?! Are you sure that’s all you would need? That’s like 30 miles of range total at 120, or even less! I bet you will use way more than that!
Anyway, if I were you I would install a separate meter and would certainly go for 30 Amp or more.

And don’t forget you can always manually reduce the current your car will draw at a given location. So definitely opt for the 208V hookup (240 is even better)... it would only serve to give you more flexibility with no downside. You can limit charging / electricity spend any time you like.

If this is a business location where customers/clients arrive, consider it a business advantage to have an EV charging station available for their use. There are third party suppliers of fee based charging stations and you would then pay your share when connected. When not connected it's a valid business expense to service customers.

Just another approach that removes the conflict and provides a Level 2 charging station.

Reactions: Litigate28
If this is a business location where customers/clients arrive, consider it a business advantage to have an EV charging station available for their use. There are third party suppliers of fee based charging stations and you would then pay your share when connected. When not connected it's a valid business expense to service customers.

Just another approach that removes the conflict and provides a Level 2 charging station.

You could use a standard 120 V plug, but if you can
I would recommend to install a 240 separate line from the main panel
and include a watt meter to it so you can estimate the consumption you will have.

So every month, you can read the 'energy' used and calculate the expense you have.

I use the following device at home, and I have a night plan EV discount from PG&E

$20 - Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Analyzer
Bayite - AC 80-260V 100A BYT-VAEM-034

61qZ-32qiAL._SL1200_.jpg