Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to Purchase 2016 Model X P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
December 2016 P100d owner here. If you don’t mind the maintenance costs I think it’s worth 40k but you have to like to gamble.

Front axles every 30k if you have a lead foot. Front upper control arms are cheap. Falcon door gaskets are not. Transferable free unlimited supercharging my be worth something. MCU2 up grade is $2k+.

P models are all 6 seaters I think.
December 2016 P100d owner here. If you don’t mind the maintenance costs I think it’s worth 40k but you have to like to gamble.

Front axles every 30k if you have a lead foot. Front upper control arms are cheap. Falcon door gaskets are not. Transferable free unlimited supercharging my be worth something. MCU2 up grade is $2k+.

P models are all 6 seaters I think.
Thank you. I’m not sure I’m ready for the headache likely to come with a “good deal.” Honestly, I got real enamored with Musk’s statement that the batteries should last 400k miles. I never considered the axles, falcon door gaskets, suspension problems, or that maybe Musk is just full of puffery about the battery lifespan and what not.

How much are the gaskets for the falcon doors anyway?

Thank you. I’m not sure I’m ready for the headache likely to come with a “good deal.” Honestly, I got real enamored with Musk’s statement that the batteries should last 400k miles. I never considered the axles, falcon door gaskets, suspension problems, or that maybe Musk is just full of puffery about the battery lifespan and what not.

How much are the gaskets for the falcon doors anyway?
You know what they say “if you have to ask”…..
I don’t recall off the top of my head. It’s mostly cosmetic and wind noise at speed. The main inner seal on mine looks fine.

I have no doubt that if you take the fleet battery degradation and run some projections you could get some data to support his 400k mile statement. I’m at 14 % degradation but I lost 1% in the last year (10k miles) now have 33k on the car. Cars wear out. Batteries too. What good is a car that made it 400k miles if the batter has a range of 60? That would do my daily driving. If it charged for free.

That narrows it down to $25,000
Too bad Jason (wk057) doesn’t have extra monitoring hardware. It would be a great service if you could take the car for a test drive, install the hardware, verify the battery is good, and sign up for their service plan all within an hour. If the battery fails the test, you simply don’t buy it.

Last edited:
Too bad Jason (wk057) doesn’t have extra monitoring hardware. It would be a great service if you could take the car for a test drive, install the hardware, verify the battery is good, and sign up for their service plan all within an hour. If the barest fails the test , you simply don’t buy it.
Yes, someone might start a solid business just inspecting Tesla vehicles for resale.

Too bad Jason (wk057) doesn’t have extra monitoring hardware. It would be a great service if you could take the car for a test drive, install the hardware, verify the battery is good, and sign up for their service plan all within an hour. If the battery fails the test, you simply don’t buy it.
Getting there. Give me a few months. :)

I’d like to say thank you to the members here for providing facts, opinions and valuable insights.
As the original post suggested, my 2021 Model S LR (2020 build date) was totaled last week when repair costs eclipsed $50k.

After test driving a 2020 model X I decided to stick with the S LR.

Early this morning, before dawn, I purchased a 2019 S LR from Tesla.com. It is identical to my 2021 but with less miles.

Price was $64,800 and comes with the Tesla limited extended warranty.

Strange buying a pre-owned vehicle without seeing a single photograph. It has 18,000 miles and clean carfax so, fingers crossed.

Reactions: scottf200 and EbS-P
I’d like to say thank you to the members here for providing facts, opinions and valuable insights.
As the original post suggested, my 2021 Model S LR (2020 build date) was totaled last week when repair costs eclipsed $50k.

After test driving a 2020 model X I decided to stick with the S LR.

Early this morning, before dawn, I purchased a 2019 S LR from Tesla.com. It is identical to my 2021 but with less miles.

Price was $64,800 and comes with the Tesla limited extended warranty.

Strange buying a pre-owned vehicle without seeing a single photograph. It has 18,000 miles and clean carfax so, fingers crossed.
It may not have been the “cool” choice but I think it probably was the best one. I purchased an XCare third party warranty. I’m happy with it. Something you might look into as it’s probably cheaper now with low mileage than it will be once it rack more up.

I don't think the 90 kWh batteries have faired that well.

See tech details here: Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

My old 2016 X
6w1gNwf.jpg
Scott, I just had a few minutes to actually read the content on the link you provided. That is a ton of information and may well explain why self driving feature on my Model S (2020 build date) was useless in my neck of the woods (east coast) where there is no consistent fog lines (likely due to roads being salted every winter). It drove off edge of road, wouldn’t merge onto highway and was generally nothing but dangerous.

Hopefully they figure it out.

Thank you for sharing the link.

Reactions: scottf200
Do you know what it would cost to replace battery, ballpark?
Asking price is $40k for the P90D with 67k miles so it’s tempting
you can still get an Xcare battery and drive unit warranty for 2016 vehicles (until EOY) for $4k. This will cover additional 10 years OR 150k additional miles. You have to get it before EOY as they only cover 7 year old vehicles so in 01/2024 they'll only cover as far back as 2017. If you're gonna go for a 2016 right now I'd look as hard as I can for SC01

• Informative
Reactions: XCare EV
you can still get an Xcare battery and drive unit warranty for 2016 vehicles (until EOY) for $4k. This will cover additional 10 years OR 150k additional miles. You have to get it before EOY as they only cover 7 year old vehicles so in 01/2024 they'll only cover as far back as 2017. If you're gonna go for a 2016 right now I'd look as hard as I can for SC01
Thx but I ended up buying another MS.

Reactions: njhtran
Thanks @EbS-P. Hadn't thought about the P model and seats, but I too have a 2016 MX P100D, and mine is also a 6-seater. I keep my rear seats folded down for more cargo space in the rear. I had the MX shudder problem at about 90K miles but got all parts replaced under warranty and it fixed the problem. I still have the original MCU1. I can still play whatever song in the universe I want to play anytime and as many times as I want to play it for free, so I don't think I'm missing out on much. Have free unlimited premium connectivity and free unlimited supercharging also. Came with the used car plan from Tesla back in Feb 2020 when I bought it.

BTW, just checked the 057 Technology plan and they don't cover my battery: "Sorry, but during our initial rollout, we're not offering battery service plans for vehicles with 40, 60 or 100 kWh battery packs. Please keep an eye on our website and social media feeds for more information once this is available. Thanks!"