Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing air from one tyre – TPMS concerns - recommendations please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not necessary to replace the sensor *every* time a tyre is replaced. The battery life in the sensor is anything from 5-10 years.
At a certain point I guess it makes sense to replace with a set of tyres since you don't want the batteries to fail a week after the tyres were done and have to pay to have them taken off and on again. But the way I go through tyres that certainly wouldn't be the first set 🤣
I have not heard anyone complain about M3 TPMS failing yet in the UK so I guess they are good for at least 4 years....

At a certain point I guess it makes sense to replace with a set of tyres since you don't want the batteries to fail a week after the tyres were done and have to pay to have them taken off and on again. But the way I go through tyres that certainly wouldn't be the first set 🤣
I have not heard anyone complain about M3 TPMS failing yet in the UK so I guess they are good for at least 4 years....
The battery voltage can be checked with a TPMS reader. Any good tyre fitter will have one. In total I've got 5 sets of wheels with tyres mounted and all with TPMS and they've been going since 2019 without any of the sensors needing repacement yet. Just replace the valves and seals each time and keep an eye on the battery voltage after 5 years is my advice. It's also possible the car will alert you when battery voltage is low but I don't know that for sure.

I’d only buy tires from Tesla in an emergency. Easy to find on Amazon at 40% of your price.
If you bother reading the two posts you replied to, the discussion was not on tyres, but TPMS sensors.. My understanding is that Teslas use Bluetooth ones, not standard radio band found on most other. So your cheaper options won't be compatible.

If you bother reading the two posts you replied to, the discussion was not on tyres, but TPMS sensors.. My understanding is that Teslas use Bluetooth ones, not standard radio band found on most other. So your cheaper options won't be compatible.

I’m sure I can find better prices but this is a 15 second effort.

I can’t find TPMS sensors at the price you’re paying, must have seen you coming. Continue to pay full price if you want.

IMG_0889.jpeg

I can’t find TPMS sensors at the price you’re paying, must have seen you coming. Continue to pay full price if you want.

View attachment 958006
So 268 for an Amazon knock off with questionable reliablility and pain to replace if it fails vs 280 for a genuine approved one on the official Tesla store... yeah sure... https://shop.tesla.com/en_gb/product/tire-pressure-monitoring-system

Again, had you been bothered reading the thread above, the point was that it seems a bit ridiculous to insist on replacing those at every tyre change, as they have much more life in them... So even at 100$ it's an unnecessary expense, but to each his own I guess...

View attachment 958006
Do those prices include import duty and shipping to the UK?
What you can get and how much it costs In California is kind of irrelevant to this thread.

Reactions: nufan and WllXM
Just followed the link to the Tesla store for the TPMS (out of curiosity, no need to get them), and discovered I’ve been getting it all wrong. There was me thinking my M3 had black trim, but no, it’s ‘chrome-delete’. Well I never, what marketing genius came up with that one? Just seen the weather forecast for the weekend and it looks like we’re in for some sun-delete, quite a lot of dry-delete and a bit of calm-delete too. Sounds far better than grey and rainy with strong winds ….

It's not necessary to replace the sensor *every* time a tyre is replaced. The battery life in the sensor is anything from 5-10 years.

Mine have been replaced under warranty at just under 3 years old. I was told their voltage was low, so the batteries had run out. They didn't last much longer than the first set of tyres.

If others with the BLE sensors experience the same, it could be they don't last that long.

Those Bosch knock offs? Thought you guys bought all parts from Tesla?
As the official representative of my people. I can confirm we do not.
Ironically the last conversation i had with an American on here was to discus his claim that we should only get our windsceens replaced by Tesla and not use Autoglass. i.e. pretty much the polar oposite to your position. You guys need to get your story straight. 🤣

Reactions: Cnixon
OP here - thanks for all comments.

Kwik Fit checked the valve - it was OK.

As others here have raised, they pointed out the alloy wheels. My 8yo wheels look a bit blistered. They recommended a refurb.

Any recommendations for a company that can do this near Northallerton/Stockton/Middlesborough ?

OP here - thanks for all comments.

Kwik Fit checked the valve - it was OK.

As others here have raised, they pointed out the alloy wheels. My 8yo wheels look a bit blistered. They recommended a refurb.

Any recommendations for a company that can do this near Northallerton/Stockton/Middlesborough ?
I definitely can recommend one, but in Bournemouth :D

in M'boro you usually do not refurbish alloys - they are stolen and you just buy new :D