Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost HOLD today. How to get it back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bpjod

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Dropped my Model 3 off to get winter tires put on this morning. I picked it up on my lunch break. Driving back to the office, I nearly rolled into the car in front of me because I expected my HOLD mode to work, but it didn't!
  • I didn't put it in Valet Mode while leaving it at the tire shop, and it isn't in Valet Mode now.
  • I checked, Creep is off. I cycled it on, then off again - HOLD still doesn't work.
  • I cycled the computer by pressing both buttons in - no change.
  • I cycled the computer by pressing both buttons in with foot on the brake (I think that's a deeper reset) - no change.
  • It was a tire swap so I've still got the factory 18" rims and TPMS sensors mounted.
Any ideas how to restore my HOLD functionality? Did the car maybe sense different tires and is re-calibrating the EAP system and in the meantime I lose my HOLD functionality?

At the time I was rolling forward, I had to hit the brakes quick to avoid colliding, didn't have time to look at the screen to see if the (H) was present, although I tested it extensively after and no, the (H) no longer comes up and the Hold function doesn't work.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Hmm, HOLD worked fine on the drive home. Not sure what happened at noon today. Maybe the car was out to lunch?!

When your car goes to sleep, it's the same as "Power Off" under the "Safety & Security" section. Maybe it just needed a bit of sleep...

Glad to hear it fixed itself! — I don't know what caused my HOLD to stop working also. Oh well.

• Informative
Reactions: FarmerDave
Try doing the full shutdown. If that doesn’t work, send a note to the tech team in your MyTesla account. I lost the feature one morning. I didn’t try any resetting, but I did park and send a message about it on the website. By the time I got back in my car a few hours later, it was back.

Maybe they didn’t remote into my car or do anything and the car fixed itself, but hey I like to think they’re that responsive ;) plus it can’t hurt to report an issue others seem to be having as well.

I know this is an old post, but this just happened to me after putting the car in N at a car wash. I rarely go through automatic washes, but needed the car to look sharp, so here we are.

I had to figure out how to put the car in Neutral since I hadn’t ever had to do it.

I rolled out of the wash and got a message saying something like “hold mode unavailable, you’ll have to remember to use breaks like a mortal.”

And something else kept flashing a related message for the entire drive home. I messed with some settings, nothing changed.

I parked, got out, the screen went black. I opened the door, got in, threw it in reverse and drove a bit. No error.

I think putting the car in neutral causes it to turn off the hold feature. I’m not sure why it wouldn’t automatically turn back on, but all it took was a reboot of the car.

hopefully this helps some panicked noob like me in the future. Cheers, all!