Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost Key Card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have lost/misplaced one of my key cards. Assuming it doesn't show up, can I cancel/disable it? Or, it this like losing one's car keys. Will it require the SC or Ranger to disable or could I do it my self?

My concern is that presently I have the only model 3 in town, so if some nefarious person finds the card he/she could unlock and drive away.

I believe you can do that from the car, but I'm too lazy to go out and check. Absolutely can deactivate phone keys from the car.

I do not believe you can do that from the car, but I'm too lazy to go out and confirm. Suggest you call customer service and see if they can remove it remotely.

(This is one of several apparently poorly thought through issues around the key cards, including taking away the display of card IDs, and not allowing users to add cards.)

When I look at the pairings on the screen, it allows me to delete my phone pairing, but there is no delete option next to the keycards. So unless you have to touch the keycard to go into a sub-menu that will let you delete, then I don't think it's possible.

When I was helping orient new owners there was a car whose keys went missing (was suppose to be a home delivery the night before...).
The tech guy with a laptop had to come out to the car to add new keycards, and remove the old ones (would have been a little quicker if he removed, then added, but oh well). He had to plug into the car and have wifi.

I can't find the Tweet now, but Musk said the ability to add and remove keycards from the vehicle and not at a Tesla SC would come to the Model 3 and also the ability to name them too.

I wonder if this opens up the possibility of having a single keycard for people who own multiple Model 3s too.