Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud air conditioner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many threads on this since Summer 2018, here, other fora, reddit, and I assume social media groups. Sadly, seems to be normal and 'within spec'.

If you waste your time dealing with an SC to attempt to address, they will either do nothing or replace the AC (and coincidentally battery coolling) fan... and the noise will be the same.

This noise happens more frequently after some late 2019 or early 2020 software builds.

Normal. Very loud from the outside but just like any other car from the inside. I think the sound is heightened somewhat compared to ICE cars due to a running engine, but I think it still louder than most. However, inside it's one of the quickest systems I've encountered to cool down the Florida heat and 150 degree cabin temperature so if it's only the outside that's loud, I won't be worrying about it.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Earlier this summer the A/C seemed to become much louder than it had been before. Made a service appointment for it and during the pre-appointment emails, Tesla said that "as long as the cooling was working and there were no error reports, it was OK." So I cancelled the appointment and so far the noise (if it is really there) seems the same and car cools just fine. As was mentioned the sound is not noticeably in the cabin. But it seems quite loud near the front of the vehicle.