Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud clicking noise from drivers door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a loud clicking noise caused by something else. At first, I thought the outer door panel was mishemmed/clinched. It turned out to be the mirror rubbing the top of the door. A good spray of wd40 cured it.
WD40 is a dissolvent, and it is good for cleaning metal parts. Its temporary lubricating effect wears off quickly, and I think it somehow hardens/dries rubber parts over time. You would want to apply something inteded for lubricating (grease, graphene but no silicone) or suitable for rubber parts after cleaning with wd40. You don't want anything with silicone near painted surfaces either, since it makes any re-painting painfully hard if such is needed.

WD40 is a dissolvent, and it is good for cleaning metal parts. Its temporary lubricating effect wears off quickly, and I think it somehow hardens/dries rubber parts over time. You would want to apply something inteded for lubricating (grease, graphene but no silicone) or suitable for rubber parts after cleaning with wd40. You don't want anything with silicone near painted surfaces either, since it makes any re-painting painfully hard if such is needed.
Good point. If it happens again, I'll try grease. The wd40 shouldn't have touched any rubber parts though, it's where the chromed plastic of the mirror touches the door skin that made the noise.