Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud hum from from front of car starting at 60MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Started hearing a loud hum from the front of the car at about 42K, thought it might be worn tires,but it got worse so at 45K with new tires so I took it in before warranty expired expecting the usual dealership "couldnt replicate" story and shine on till warranty expires. Pleaseantly surprised the SA sent me out with a Tech who REALLY knew his stuff. 30 minute drive and he confirmed what I suspected, wheel bearings. The car had a factory alignment issue that i did not discover until right fron tire was worn to wear bars in about 15K miles (toe in out by crazy amount). got it aligned and new tires but possibly did the bearing in as well
Car is in for new wheel bearing(s) this week hopefully they will confirm and replace at disassembly (Three days to procure a wheel bearing sheeez). I will post again when car returns

If you need to replace the bearings I would investigate fitting some new model S ceramic ones. No idea whether it is a direct fit or not, but if it were me I would pay extra for some reduced drag and higher efficiency.

Started hearing a loud hum from the front of the car at about 42K, thought it might be worn tires,but it got worse so at 45K with new tires so I took it in before warranty expired expecting the usual dealership "couldnt replicate" story and shine on till warranty expires. Pleaseantly surprised the SA sent me out with a Tech who REALLY knew his stuff. 30 minute drive and he confirmed what I suspected, wheel bearings. The car had a factory alignment issue that i did not discover until right fron tire was worn to wear bars in about 15K miles (toe in out by crazy amount). got it aligned and new tires but possibly did the bearing in as well
Car is in for new wheel bearing(s) this week hopefully they will confirm and replace at disassembly (Three days to procure a wheel bearing sheeez). I will post again when car returns
update 7/13/19. Service said they replaced front and rear right side bearings with "test bearings" and did not resolve, tried different tires did not resolve. then said alignment was off and wanted me to pay for alignment before more work to find noise. said that whenever you get tires you need to align wheels (already told them the noise was there BEFORE the new tires). NEVER have I heard of alignment need after new tires. Car going back in tommorrow for more diagnosis. starting to feel like the "shine on" is coming

Update 8/17/19. Car back in shop, more test drives with tech which confirmed noise. Brought in Wednesday AM 8/14. It was “in cue” (ha) for wed thrs and Friday. Got a text this morning that they determined the “cause of the noise in question is coming from the drive unit at this time we are unable to see a malfunction so we have escalated a case to engineering for support on next steps. They will determine if the concern requires a replacement or not.”

Looks like a major deal now.

update 8/19/19: Car was ready Monday seems like they worked on it over the weekend Dx was traced to Drive unit and when they opened up to review they also found both axles leaking. Both axles and drive unit replaced and noise is gone, i had actually forgot how quiet the car is! Definitely not the "milling Sound" I have heard in older cars. This seems like maybe axles leaked fluid and maybe that caused gear failure/wear? leak coulndt have been that bad as no puddles on garage floor

The rear hatch cinch motor failed in the week I had the car back and they replaced that at the same time. rear hatch was stuck shut and emergency release would not budge. Heaven forbid there were seats back there and someone was in them. That was replaced and now works but that failure may have triggered another failure of the auto present door handles which not require key press to open doors and to have car recognize fob once inside the car. upon opening door there is a clicking sound from right side of dash like a relay trying to engage. lasts about 10 sec.

Oh Yeah then there is the return of the Yellow banding on the main screen. Car is headed back for a third time next week to take care of these items

This is at 48K miles and 3 years, even BMW's are more reliable than this...