Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud sound when car comes to complete stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a P90DL in late Sept with 6k miles and when the car comes to a complete stop it makes a loud squeaking sound. It happens when the car completes the stop and their is a tiny motion of the car rocking to complete the stop.

I was finally able to get an appointment for service to look at it and they said it is normal because it has Brembo performance brakes. I told them my P85D that I put 20k miles on never once made that sound. They said it is a known sound on P cars and the only thing I can do to stop it is turn off Regen. I said that was not a valid answer for a $140k car and he said he could take another look at it today.

Has anybody else heard about this issue? There is no way this sound is normal.

We park in parking garages often and every time we park the car people turn to look to see what the loud screeching sound is. My wife doesn't even want to drive the car any more.

That service person is wrong.

The sound is coming from your brakes, yes--but changing regen would do nothing to stop it. It's coming from the hydraulic brakes, which is independent of the regen system.

I think most any brake place should be able to address this. Either your rotors are a little out of plane (doubt it) or perhaps you need a litttle bit of brake pad lubricant in the right place to prevent vibration when the brakes are applied.

Fortunately it's a pretty minor issue that should be addressable at a reasonable cost.

• Informative
Reactions: HebrHmr
It is either brakes not broken in and have some rust or, the rotors may be warped. You can try to set the regen to low, and brake from some speed like 30mph, a few times. Does it get better? If you feel brake judder, rotor is the culprit. If you still get some big noise then try the same braking from higher speed, like 60mph safely. Brake rust should go away by braking several times.
If the rotor is warped you may need to change it.