Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud ticking noise with heater on.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Headed out to go skiing on Saturday and Sunday to Dodge Ridge.

Was preheating the car before taking off as I was going to need nearly a full charge to get there and back in one charge(got back with 16%).

Anyways, headed out to the garage to put more stuff in the car and heard this:

I didn't want to drive the car like that since we were going to need the heater in 9F temperatures. I was just about to transfer everything to the Prius but at the last moment I decided to remove the front cowl underneath and see what I could see. It turns out the noise was caused by this stuck in the fan:

20151226_095711.jpg

Tesla should really do a better job of affixing labels so they don't come off. How much did I save the SC by finding this myself?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this same noise a few days ago with climate on before getting in car, from front left grill also. Seemed like a fan hitting something/ticking, etc. Exact same noise. It was gone though the last few days so not sure what changed...

I'll bet it was the same thing. Had I known what it was, I would have just left it knowing it would eventually clear.

I'll bet it was the same thing. Had I known what it was, I would have just left it knowing it would eventually clear.

Thanks, I just read back and saw that it was a label in the fan! Mine hasn't made the noise since I heard it, maybe because I've driven high speeds since then but hopefully was just the same issue that is gone now. Will keep an "ear" out for it.

-T