Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Louver operation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is the louver in front of the radiator suppose to work? It seems like on my model 3 it's open all the time. When I took the picture in the morning the temperature was 16 degrees Celsius (60.8 Fahrenheit) and the car had been parked outside all night. Still the flaps/louver was open. My car was delivered in May this year and probably an April build.

IMG_7053.JPG
IMG_7054.JPG

How is the louver in front of the radiator suppose to work? It seems like on my model 3 it's open all the time. When I took the picture in the morning the temperature was 16 degrees Celsius (60.8 Fahrenheit) and the car had been parked outside all night. Still the flaps/louver was open. My car was delivered in May this year and probably an April build.

View attachment 708918View attachment 708919
Why is it you expect those to close? This isn't an ICE vehicle that needs to block airflow in extreme cold weather to warm up. And even if it did, 60.8 Fahrenheit definitely would not require reduced airflow.

Upvote 0
I just checked my car - louvers are closed it's 17 Deg C here
Car has not been driven for about a week
2019 vintage 2021.24.5
Looks like a visit to service centre for you :(

Reactions: kas81
Upvote 0
When I was looking at various Model 3s earlier this year I noticed that some cars front louvers were open and some were closed. The difference? I’m not 100% positive, but the newer cars with heat pumps had the louvers closed when stationary, and the older cars without heat pumps were closed.
Oops i just realized I messed up.

Heat pump equipped cars louvers were open, and non heat pump cars were closed.

Upvote 0
Oops i just realized I messed up.

Heat pump equipped cars louvers were open, and non heat pump cars were closed.

This made me curious. So today I found two model 3's parked almost side by side. One with heat pump and one without. With heat pump the louver was open and the one without the louver was closed. The temperature was 13 degrees C (55.4F). I don’t know how long the cars had been parked though, but this seems to match up on your discovery.

I’m a little puzzled about why the louver isn’t closing on the heat pump cars, even when stationary. Maybe it closes at some conditions when driving? 🤔 Mine has definitely been open since I can see some bugs in the radiator already 🙂

Upvote 0