Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love the car, but hate driving it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T

Ted'sla

I'm starting to do grocery shopping on Sundays to avoid workweek traffic, but then I have to deal with "Sunday drivers." My trip TO Kroger was uneventful, save for a few unsafe followings for other cars passing in another lane, only to immediately pull in front of me. After last month's $24 increase in my Tesla Insurance premium due to 3 undeserved forward collision warnings, I made absolutely sure I wouldn't sin again. But, on the way home, I had a green light, but traffic was inching forward. Even though I had AT LEAST 20 FEET betwixt me and the car in front of me, it stopped abruptly. Although I had a huge buffer, I guess I should have stopped BEFORE it did. When is Tesla going to judge their drivers on SUCCESS instead of some theoretical "what if I floored it" algorithm? Sorry if I'm whining, but I dread driving this thing and I'm going to go back to a Chevy EV as soon as they have the NACS port in their Equinox EV.

I'm starting to do grocery shopping on Sundays to avoid workweek traffic, but then I have to deal with "Sunday drivers." My trip TO Kroger was uneventful, save for a few unsafe followings for other cars passing in another lane, only to immediately pull in front of me. After last month's $24 increase in my Tesla Insurance premium due to 3 undeserved forward collision warnings, I made absolutely sure I wouldn't sin again. But, on the way home, I had a green light, but traffic was inching forward. Even though I had AT LEAST 20 FEET betwixt me and the car in front of me, it stopped abruptly. Although I had a huge buffer, I guess I should have stopped BEFORE it did. When is Tesla going to judge their drivers on SUCCESS instead of some theoretical "what if I floored it" algorithm? Sorry if I'm whining, but I dread driving this thing and I'm going to go back to a Chevy EV as soon as they have the NACS port in their Equinox EV.
Why not just change car insurance companies?

Why not just change car insurance companies?
Because Tesla, with a 100 Safety Score is $80-ish per month. The cheapest elsewhere is Progressive for $865 for 6 months. The most expensive is Liberty Mutual at over $4,400 per year. Even at $104, beginning June 24, that's only $624 per 6 months...but it should be $480, if Tesla's Safety Score made any sense. My previous Bolt EUV cost me $1,100 per year with my squeaky-clean driving and insurance record and, even though $1,248 (annualized) isn't that much more, I didn't have to drive like a Tibetan monk with a bowl of goldfish on the passenger seat. But you can bet that I'll price it again immediately. Which brings me to ask, "even though the policy is stated as January 24-July 23 (or 24), the payments are monthly...so can I dump Tesla Insurance without penalty mid-term???"

Because Tesla, with a 100 Safety Score is $80-ish per month. The cheapest elsewhere is Progressive for $865 for 6 months. The most expensive is Liberty Mutual at over $4,400 per year. Even at $104, beginning June 24, that's only $624 per 6 months...but it should be $480, if Tesla's Safety Score made any sense. My previous Bolt EUV cost me $1,100 per year with my squeaky-clean driving and insurance record and, even though $1,248 (annualized) isn't that much more, I didn't have to drive like a Tibetan monk with a bowl of goldfish on the passenger seat. But you can bet that I'll price it again immediately. Which brings me to ask, "even though the policy is stated as January 24-July 23 (or 24), the payments are monthly...so can I dump Tesla Insurance without penalty mid-term???"

I can’t say for certain since I’ve never had Tesla insurance. But I found this article:

• Cancellation of Tesla Insurance can be done at any time without additional fees through the Tesla app or by contacting customer service.
  • Before canceling, gather policy information, initiate contact with customer service, and evaluate other insurance providers to ensure adequate coverage.
  • Contacting customer support during the cancellation process can provide personalized assistance, address complications or special circumstances, and ensure a smooth experience.”

Try farmers insurance. I pay about $100 per month for my 2017 model S.

Try farmers insurance. I pay about $100 per month for my 2017 model S.
Thanks. I got over my hissy fit by taking another drive to take my score from 95 to 97. Then, I took a much longer drive to...stay the same! I'm going to take a daily drive out "in the sticks" to weasel some 100s. Apparently, Tesla averages daily scores so I'm going to do some experimentation. YES, the time it takes to drive a dozen miles is NOT worth the savings, but knowledge is priceless. Until, of course, the next update changes the rules. By the way, I did try Zebra yesterday and when I was directed to Progressive, it's now asking for the last SEVEN years and I did make a claim 6 summers ago. You'd think I was applying for a loan with a 7-year bankruptcy look-back, not that I've ever come close to that. How do crappy drivers even get insurance...or do they even try?

Thanks. I got over my hissy fit by taking another drive to take my score from 95 to 97. Then, I took a much longer drive to...stay the same! I'm going to take a daily drive out "in the sticks" to weasel some 100s. Apparently, Tesla averages daily scores so I'm going to do some experimentation. YES, the time it takes to drive a dozen miles is NOT worth the savings, but knowledge is priceless. Until, of course, the next update changes the rules. By the way, I did try Zebra yesterday and when I was directed to Progressive, it's now asking for the last SEVEN years and I did make a claim 6 summers ago. You'd think I was applying for a loan with a 7-year bankruptcy look-back, not that I've ever come close to that. How do crappy drivers even get insurance...or do they even try?
Good.

In my state, there are a LOT of uninsured motorists. Be sure to get that coverage as well if applicable in your location.

Also, my car insurance rate is in tandem with an umbrella policy that I have.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Tesla insurance isn't offered in my state but I've read so many anecdotes like this about how normal driving to avoid idiots on the road impacts the cost of it so much. A large part of the allure of even getting a Tesla was the neck-snapping acceleration, and I enjoy it regularly in my MYLR. Worrying about how much this would cost me via an insurance increase every time would kill all the joy in driving it, so I can safely say that I don't think I'd ever get Tesla insurance even if it were offered in my state.

I insure my '23 MYLR through AmFam through our Costco membership. The premium recently went up from $419 for 6 months to $551 (for the highest levels of coverage offered with very low deductibles). Now that it's a year old and I'm less paranoid about it getting damaged, I called them and increased the deductibles to $1,000 so the premium is now at $487.