Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love to hear your opinions about this p85d vs 90d.

2015 P85D vs 2015 90D (same miles, similar cost)

• 2015 P85D

Votes: 29 87.9%
  • 2015 90D

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m also curious, pertaining to other p85D owners, what the current performance specs of a 2015 p85d as it is today. Meaning after the many updates it’s received since its inception, I’m sure it has different HP in the front and back, different torque, and other options not listed anywhere in Tesla’s stock info. Is there a performance chart anywhere that shows these things as they stand today, in 2019?

So its possible that the listing says “2015 P85D” and in the features section says “smart air suspension” but it actually has the + suspension? Like i said, I’m kinda good with it either day. I miss my 2016 stage 3 Subaru STi every time i see one on the road. That little AWD car absolutely ripped and my wife’s BMW 7 series cant hold a torch to any of these cars. Excited for my first Tesla!

You guys agree that the move is to fly down to LA and drive back up vs have them bring it up too a nearby service center for pickup? I wonder if its a flat 2k delivery regardless of where they’re shipping it to

Yes SAS and + suspension are two different things... and your P85D can have both (ours does).

You should be able to identify if its a P85D+ suspension by raising your SAS, turning the wheel, and looking at the front air spring module for DM SS 1030608-01-A (P85D+ sport suspension):

full

I think FDSS on the shock indicates Front shock Dual motor Sport Suspension

Performance Plus (+) Upgrade

Yes you should definitely fly down to LA and drive back up. The drive should be EASY in your P85D as long as it has AutoPilot... and give you the full "road trip" experience. Minimize your "range anxiety" by using the Tesla's navigation recommendations for Superchargers... or pre-flight your trip using EV Trip Planner or A Better Routeplanner Just be sure to enter ALL the relevant inputs including beginning battery %, wheel size, payload, ambient air temp, thermostat setting, etc. We've travelled across several states using EV Trip Planner and never ran out of charge, even on LONG "segment" with little to no EV charging on some segments (Page AZ to Blanding UT). Just make sure Tesla has your P85D is connected to your Tesla account before you depart from LA so you can monitor your Supercharging from your Tesla app and use Slacker Radio while you drive. Add some snacks and hydration and you can drive for HOURS. We found the Supercharger stops to be spaced almost perfectly for our bodily fluid drainage needs. :cool:

Reactions: Sprandt23
Although the 21's look really cool, in the long run many will tell you that 19's are more practical. They are quieter, have a smoother ride, last longer (tires), cost less (tires), and are less subject to damage (both wheels and tires). I've heard that many people purchase 21's but end up switching to 19's due to the above. Also (and this was a deal breaker for me) it's difficult to find anything except summer performance radials for the 21's (no all season radials which is what I always run). I believe you cannot put chains on the 21's either, if that's ever anything you'd do.

The 21's probably handle a bit better in corners, but comparing that singular gain to the multitude of detractions, well you'll need to make your own mind up. Of course you could always go the optimum route and that is have both 21's (for summer) and 18's (for winter). But if roads where you live have pot hole problems, you should probably skip the 21's altogether.

I notice you're in Sacramento, do you ski? If so, don't plan on taking the 21's.

Last edited:
Although the 21's look really cool, in the long run many will tell you that 19's are more practical. They are quieter, have a smoother ride, last longer (tires), cost less (tires), and are less subject to damage (both wheels and tires). I've heard that many people purchase 21's but end up switching to 19's due to the above. Also (and this was a deal breaker for me) it's difficult to find anything except summer performance radials for the 21's (no all season radials which is what I always run). I believe you cannot put chains on the 21's either, if that's ever anything you'd do.

The 21's probably handle a bit better in corners, but comparing that singular gain to the multitude of detractions, well you'll need to make your own mind up. Of course you could always go the optimum route and that is have both 21's (for summer) and 18's (for winter). But if roads where you live have pot hole problems, you should probably skip the 21's altogether.

I notice you're in Sacramento, do you ski? If so, don't plan on taking the 21's.
Yea where i live in sunny California it rains like twice a year, although this winter has been like something I’ve never seen before!. But yea, no snow, barely any rain, perfect temps, and easy highway cruising on i80, 21”s are what I’m going for for sure

Reactions: BrokerDon
As far as the + suspension, why wouldn’t it be advertised as such, and why would it include “smart air suspension” in the description?
Model S has 3 suspension options:
  1. Springs - available from 2012 till some time in 2017
  2. Smart Air Suspension Plus - it was an official option for P85 and even had an official designation in the badge, "P85+". When P85D came out, the + suspension became standard so there was no badge designation. In April 2015 the options for all Model S changed, Tech package disappeared, along with the mention of "specially designed suspension" in the description of P85D. I have the youngest known (here on TMC at least) P85D with plus suspension manufactured in May 2015 (early may, since I picked it up mid May). Also, apparently there were a few exceptions, when Tesla might have ran out of parts during production maybe, where there were some very few early P85D's reported without the + suspension. Lastly, apparently if you suspension parts break, the plus suspension parts are no longer available from Tesla so they will swap it to regular SAS.
  3. Smart Air Suspension - the only option available today. Softer ride than SAS+ (we have both, even with identical 19" tires there is a very clear difference in handling).
The pictures of the car you linked show the car has SAS. The date of manufacture indicates it was most likely manufactured with + suspension. Unless Tesla swapped it out during some repairs (like the wheels) or it happened to be one of those very few manufactured without it, it has SAS+ suspension.

Last edited:
The drive should be EASY in your P85D as long as it has AutoPilot...
It will be easy even without AutoPilot. I have AP enabled, drove coast to coast and didn't find that much use for it (one way was really rainy, it was actually dangerous as the car insisted on centering itself which mean hydroplaning in the pool of water in the road "grooves" worn by other cars). If you don't know the limitations of AutoPilot, for example it's inability to see stationary objects such as parked cars, buses, ambulances and fire trucks, or it's "lust for trucks next to you", I say don't use it until you learn its limitations. It has some uses, but it an also be dangerous by gaining your trust and then crashing the car.

Get the silver P85D+, that's the best color and the best car! The acceleration is intoxicating, you'll be in Supercar territory.

Like mentioned before, download the Tesla app. The car may show up in your account before you pick it up.
Bring a USB drive with your favorite songs to listen to on the drive back.

Make sure you get 2 remotes, parcel shelf and the 1st Generation Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) cable with the 3 adapters, NEMA 5-15(normal 120v hose plug), NEMA-14-50 and a J1772 adapter(used at Chargepoint stations).
You can see what the adapters look like here Gen 1 NEMA Adapters
The 1st Gen UMC has an 40amp output which means you can charge faster than the 2nd Gen UMC which has 32amp output.

For any missing items or needed repairs, make sure they put it on the Due Bill.

On the drive back, be sure to stop at the Kettleman City Superchargers. They have a "private" lounge there with restrooms, tables and chairs and coffee & snacks for a fee.
Be sure to get the access code from the car's navigation screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: TapHabit
Love my 85D. 27k miles and still 268 out of 270 miles range. 309 wh/mi over 8k miles. The sleep mode on the rear motor really helps. 0-60 in 4 secs, don't really see the need for the P version.
All Teslas feel fast. I had an S60 with 5.9s 0-60mph and it felt nice and fast - loved driving it. When I would get a faster loaner, my car felt broken for the first hour or so of driving, then back to feeling fast. On the flip side, I have a P85D with Ludicrous today - rarely floor it from 0 because I don't have the discipline to keep my car immaculate, so that I don't have to keep picking up the contents of the cubby or yacht floor from the back seat. I do however floor it on the highways - it's there where I wish the car was even more peppy, above 40mph.

Last edited:
So its possible that the listing says “2015 P85D” and in the features section says “smart air suspension” but it actually has the + suspension? Like i said, I’m kinda good with it either day. I miss my 2016 stage 3 Subaru STi every time i see one on the road. That little AWD car absolutely ripped and my wife’s BMW 7 series cant hold a torch to any of these cars. Excited for my first Tesla!

You guys agree that the move is to fly down to LA and drive back up vs have them bring it up too a nearby service center for pickup? I wonder if its a flat 2k delivery regardless of where they’re shipping it to

I've still got my 2012 STi :) Different cars for sure but both are super fun!
From what you've written above... I'd suggest you get the P85D (most likely it's a '+'), you won't regret it.

All Teslas feel fast. I had an S60 with 5.9s 0-60mph and it felt nice and fast - loved driving it. When I would get a faster loaner, my car felt broken for the first hour or so of driving, then back to feeling fast. On the flip side, I have a P85D with Ludicrous today - rarely floor it from 0 because I don't have the discipline to keep my car immaculate, so that I don't have to keep picking up the contents of the cubby or yacht floor from the back seat. I do however floor it on the highways - it's there where I wish the car was even more peppy, above 40mph.

And this is perhaps the biggest argument for the P85D, all of the S's are quick off the line, but lag some at higher speeds. The P85D will lag a bit less at these higher speeds.

And this is perhaps the biggest argument for the P85D, all of the S's are quick off the line, but lag some at higher speeds. The P85D will lag a bit less at these higher speeds.
Exactly, for the same price, or even at a slight premium, more power is always fun to have. I paid $5K to add Ludicrous not for off the line acceleration, but for highway power. That said, I am not going to pay $80K+ to upgrade to P100D to get even more power (but also lose + suspension).

Reactions: BrokerDon