Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering springs and alignments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone -

I'll apologize in advance if this topic was already discussed. I did a search and couldn't find it. I purchased some Tsportline lowering springs recently. I'm getting ready to install them myself. I've been looking for a local shop to do an alignment when I'm done but everyone I call says they are not able to do it. Sounds like they need special equipment to deal with the sensors on the Tesla. So the question I have is, if you are doing lowering springs, where are you getting your alignment done? Is the only option the Tesla service center?

Got my alignment at Firestone. They can only adjust the toe. Hopefully aftermarket camber kits become more available. With Tsportsline lowering springs, I am barely within factory spec.

This is typical of almost all cars that install lowering springs. Alignments typically address toe as camber isn't routinely adjustable on factory cars. Typically with moderate and mild drops, camber stays reasonably in check. Not sure the "factory spec", but once camber gets beyond 1.75 or 2 degrees, then you've got some tire wear considerations. So basically, you shouldn't need more than just a toe adjustment on these. Cars handle best with some negative camber, so even though it may not be in factory spec, if it's < 1.5 degrees, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. My car is getting lowered now and will get an alignment right after, I'll try to report back what the specs are.

Given wheels don't need to be removed for an alignment, you don't need any special equipment. Multiple people I know have used Firestone and other national chains.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwalme
This is typical of almost all cars that install lowering springs. Alignments typically address toe as camber isn't routinely adjustable on factory cars. Typically with moderate and mild drops, camber stays reasonably in check. Not sure the "factory spec", but once camber gets beyond 1.75 or 2 degrees, then you've got some tire wear considerations. So basically, you shouldn't need more than just a toe adjustment on these. Cars handle best with some negative camber, so even though it may not be in factory spec, if it's < 1.5 degrees, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. My car is getting lowered now and will get an alignment right after, I'll try to report back what the specs are.

Given wheels don't need to be removed for an alignment, you don't need any special equipment. Multiple people I know have used Firestone and other national chains.

I'll look forward to hearing about how your alignment goes. I am planning on installing the springs myself. I found a thread where someone posted the alignment specs. So assuming those are right I am going to try to take it to the shop I normally go to and get them to do it after I install the springs.

Here’s the alignment results from the eibachs. Again nothing concerning regarding the camber.

9CEF6AF2-E573-4EFD-81DC-666FCFEC51D6.jpeg

Reactions: Mister.T and dwalme
Really bad shot just after getting it. It’s definitely a lot lower than I thought. I had a motorized scooter, springs and a baby seat in the trunk. One off camber driveway I felt the plastic part right in front of the left rear briefly rub the ground. I didn’t see any scratch and that area is a full 1” or so lower than the battery which is more centered. It was able to go into my auto car wash and clear the track system, something my 2016 Cadillac ATSV couldn’t do.

0052FE1F-009B-47B2-A8FC-50FF2169BE9F.jpeg

Reactions: agreif
Really bad shot just after getting it. It’s definitely a lot lower than I thought. I had a motorized scooter, springs and a baby seat in the trunk. One off camber driveway I felt the plastic part right in front of the left rear briefly rub the ground. I didn’t see any scratch and that area is a full 1” or so lower than the battery which is more centered. It was able to go into my auto car wash and clear the track system, something my 2016 Cadillac ATSV couldn’t do.

View attachment 413014
Thanks for sending the information. Looks like the toe wasn't too far off. I was contemplating the Eibach's as well. I'll try to remember to post a picture of mine when I get them done. Your car looks good even if it is lower than you expected. Glad to hear it is clearing all of the important stuff for you. How's the ride? Any noticeable difference?

Thanks for sending the information. Looks like the toe wasn't too far off. I was contemplating the Eibach's as well. I'll try to remember to post a picture of mine when I get them done. Your car looks good even if it is lower than you expected. Glad to hear it is clearing all of the important stuff for you. How's the ride? Any noticeable difference?

Too early to tell, but it’s hardly noticeable in terms of ride, I think if you did A-B testing with people who didn’t know the difference, they’d have a hard time telling.

So i went to a place near my work to the the alignment and ran into a situation. The guy said the car needed to be in neutral to do the alignment and i did and walked away. Low and behold the car went into P and he called me back to put it into N. So now I did it again and when I opened the door the car went back into P. So he told me I could sit in the car while he does the alignment. Just curious if that was going to be a problem or not. Can you do an alignment with the driver in the car? I know it will impact camber/caster but we can't adjust that anyways.

I had the same problem when I got mine done. It is fine to get the alignment done while you're in the car. In some cases it can be helpful. If that is the configuration that the car is usually driven in, the alignment could actually be more accurate. I had to sit in the car with it in Neutral while we got it setup on the turn tables. Once that was done I was able to get out and we finished our alignment. Either way I think it is fine...

View attachment 413014
Hello, Did you get the alignment done right after you lowered your car? Have you ever went back to check your alignment again? Thank you.