Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD later vs SR RWD now?

LR AWD later vs SR RWD now?

  • LR AWD White, 19" Gemini, 7 seaters for ~$61k

    Votes: 6 60.0%
  • SR RWD Metallic Silver, 20" Induction, 7 seaters for ~$56k

    Votes: 4 40.0%

  • Total voters
    10

whi5key

Member
Apr 29, 2021
10
2
CA
I need an advice. I currently have 2 active reservations. One is LR AWD White, 19" Gemini, 7 seaters for ~$61k. And the other one is SR RWD Metallic Silver 20" Induction, 7 seaters for ~$56k. The SR RWD I got from existing inventory and it will be ready to pick up in about 10 days. I will only keep one of these reservations, but I'm very indecisive and keep going back and forth on this.
My thoughts:
- I had a Bolt before and the range is similar with the SR and I was ok with it since I also have an ICE vehicle.
- I'm currently approved for 1.24% for 72mts and I believe it would be valid until 6/30, not sure if the LR AWD would come before that? My current estimate is 6/11-6/30.
- Since I am buying, instead of leasing, in the long run, would it be better to have the LR instead of SR?

If it were you, which one would you keep and why? Thank you!
 

Watts_Up

Active Member
Mar 4, 2019
3,442
2,339
In a galaxy far, far away
For any EVs, the battery is the most important component.

I generally charge up to 80% and get nervous when I start to be below 40%, so having a 75kWh battery instead of 50kWh is a no-brainer even for daily driving.

To have extra range would be certainly useful when having 7 passengers in winter, especially for a weekend trip, allowing to skip a detour to a Supercharger..

You will appreciate also having an AWD when driving in curving roads or passing other cars with a car full loaded, having about 400 HP instead of 200 HP is also a no-brainer.

You will get a better resale value after 5 years with a larger battery, especially considering that in 5 year the SR will have then 75 kWh and the LR will have 100 kWh or more.

Consider the range degradation about 5 years (may be 10%), having a larger battery will be certainly nicer.

Can you charge at home or work, or do you have a local L2 charger at a walking distance?

What is your typical daily and weekend driving distance?

My advise, unless this Model Y will be a second car for local commute, grocery trips, or 'soccer mom' usage, I would strongly recommend the AWD LR version against the SR.
 
Last edited:

whi5key

Member
Apr 29, 2021
10
2
CA
Thanks so much for your insights! Really appreciated! I am leaning towards canceling my RWD at this point!
 

z335is

Member
Feb 7, 2019
50
40
Newark
It depends on your usage. For us, 250 miles is more than enough range and we saved about 11k in buying an SR over an LR. With a 5k gap, again it really comes down to your preference, finances etc.


The resale value argument is kind of comical though. While the LRs will probably always sell for more, you’re also paying more for the price of entry.
 

blinkme323

Member
Feb 4, 2019
68
29
Philly
Some people on this board will have you thinking that the LR has 900 miles of range, lol. The SR is extremely capable (and rare), so if it fits your needs and budget, go for it. You really can't lose either way.
 

whi5key

Member
Apr 29, 2021
10
2
CA
It depends on your usage. For us, 250 miles is more than enough range and we saved about 11k in buying an SR over an LR. With a 5k gap, again it really comes down to your preference, finances etc.


The resale value argument is kind of comical though. While the LRs will probably always sell for more, you’re also paying more for the price of entry.
Nice! I wish I save 11k with getting the SR! It would be a no brainer. One of my hesitation comes from the fact that it's only a 5k gap.

Some people on this board will have you thinking that the LR has 900 miles of range, lol. The SR is extremely capable (and rare), so if it fits your needs and budget, go for it. You really can't lose either way.
Thank you so much for your insight! I think the SR would be good for 95% of what I use the car for. The other 5% I can use my other ICE car if needed.
 

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.


SUPPORT TMC
Top