Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE lost in underground parking. How to Recover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most working days I park my car 5 floors underground. The building has charging facilities on level 5. Understandably there is no LTE. My issue is getting the LTE back after spending the day disconnected. Life without live traffic and streaming sucks. If I wait for it to reconnect after leaving the building it can take up to about 30 minutes. I have been rebooting to recover the LTE faster. I usually start the reboot on my ascent out of the building. I am not so happy with rebooting daily. Does anybody know of a trick to restart only the LTE to force a reconnection?

Most working days I park my car 5 floors underground. The building has charging facilities on level 5. Understandably there is no LTE. My issue is getting the LTE back after spending the day disconnected. Life without live traffic and streaming sucks. If I wait for it to reconnect after leaving the building it can take up to about 30 minutes. I have been rebooting to recover the LTE faster. I usually start the reboot on my ascent out of the building. I am not so happy with rebooting daily. Does anybody know of a trick to restart only the LTE to force a reconnection?

You could try to turn on wifi and do a quick connect to a hotspot to get the wifi active...then when you switch back it should do a faster LTE search. I don't know if it will work by just turning wifi on and then off right away but you could try that also.

Note...your cellphone would do the same/similar thing with a long term loss of signal.

No it doesn't. Cell phones will re-establish with a strong, usable signal within 30 seconds, regardless of time spent away from one.

From a hardware standpoint, there is no reason for it to take longer than 15-30 seconds to re-establish with a strong LTE signal. Tesla either has a bug with the cellular driver, or is intentionally implementing some sort of exponential searching backoff and did not account for this situation.

• Disagree
Reactions: derotam
The cell signal is strong when I leave the underground. If I reboot it comes back in a couple of minutes. I think that the car backs off the continual connection retries after a while. Maybe then it only tries it every 20 or 30 minutes. Just a theory. I can try a wifi hotspot but don't really have one. I suppose I could set up my cell as a hotspot...at least for something to try.

I park underground at work. Interestingly, there is enough cellular signal while parked that the app can communicate with the car throughout the day with little trouble. But when leaving the parking garage, there is a brief dead spot. On a good day, an LTE connection made within a few seconds of passing through the dead spot. Other times, a weak 3G connection is made and LTE is found a few minutes later. But I would say a third of the time, no connection is made until I either reboot the car or arrive at home and park the car for a while.

Certainly is frustrating, especially when it happens a few days in a row. Then it might be a week or two before it happens again.

I have a similar problem. Recently I am unable to access wifi from our home when the M3 is parked in our garage. Usually we have no problems with the system. Now the network is recognized from the car but when I finish with the password to the AT&T router from home the prompt appears, cannot confirm, check your router name, or some such. Yesterday an AT&T tech did what he could to improve service in the garage, e.g., relocating an internet service extender to the garage (from a location downstairs directly below the router) to extend its effectiveness closer to the car. In my presence he measured the strength of the signal within the car and had great access through two of his cell phones from the passengers seat. Still had problems connecting. Even after we "forgetted" the home system recognition in the car and then added it back.

I have an appointment at Tesla Rocklin, CA, for Thursday next. Will let you know of progress.

By the way, I usually spend most of my time on Investor threads where there is a lot of complaint about service, especially more since advent of M3 sales near scale, which is understandable. In my case this time I tried to modify the service request to ad upgrade for the computer while we were there since we paid full price for autopilot and FSD with purchase of car 11 months ago. Could draft an edit to the service notice, using their links to do so, but no would do. Stay tuned.

No it doesn't. Cell phones will re-establish with a strong, usable signal within 30 seconds, regardless of time spent away from one.

From a hardware standpoint, there is no reason for it to take longer than 15-30 seconds to re-establish with a strong LTE signal. Tesla either has a bug with the cellular driver, or is intentionally implementing some sort of exponential searching backoff and did not account for this situation.

You are correct...from a hardware standpoint there is no reason for it to take long...but there is software, and the software has all kinds of rules for searching for a signal. If it goes too long searching for a signal and can't find anything it will actually stop trying so hard and spend more time waiting for a time out for it to try again, and even then it isn't always looking in the right place yet.