Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE sim replacement by Tesla for grey market

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok...after getting a lot of refusals and denials from almost all of Tesla Service centres for overseas SIM card replacement into my brand new P3D with FSD3.0, 1 Tesla service centre has finally agreed to replace my LTE SIM card from overseas with AT&T one which comes with my car. They had no idea at first and kept my car for almost 2 weeks for taking down all the trims and dismantling my FSD computer piece by piece(according to them)it’s not easy as model S and X and old model 3 computers. After installing my overseas SIM card and changing internet configurations like APN,....etc, they told me to come pick it up before shipping it to my home country, Myanmar, which is also one of the grey markets, unexpectedly.... everything works including data internet while it was still in United States. I told them it shouldn’t be working in United States as it’s not post paid SIM card and the credit I have inside my pre paid overseas SIM card is not enough for 2 MB of data while in roaming mode. They reset my Tesla and it’s still working even after that reset. Technicians from Tesla service centre have no idea why data internet is still working with overseas SIM card in it. If you guys know or have some ideas why that one is working, please let me know.

Reactions: gaswhat
Your story is a bit confusing to me. Is this the gist?
  1. You bought a Tesla in the US.
  2. A US Tesla service center installed a Myanmar SIM card for you.
  3. Your Tesla still happily has data service in the US.
Is that about right? So the car hasn’t yet been to Myanmar?

Your story is a bit confusing to me. Is this the gist?
  1. You bought a Tesla in the US.
  2. A US Tesla service center installed a Myanmar SIM card for you.
  3. Your Tesla still happily has data service in the US.
Is that about right? So the car hasn’t yet been to Myanmar?
i have to wonder about these SUPER-SPECIFIC threads from users with ZERO post history...

Like maybe it translates to, "I stole a Tesla in the US, stuck a foreign SIM in it before shipping it abroad, and it's not working as expected. Please help."? Let's see whether Jarvis returns with more info...
Ha ha... very funny. That must be your story. Let’s just say I’m in position of I could buy the whole line up of Tesla(S3XY) if I want to, so, stealing option never come into my mind. My story is I ordered a Tesla from overseas, wired cash up front into Tesla corporate account and flew there and picked up when it’s ready. Then, I explored east coast, west coast and down south of America with it and it was amazing with FSD. Added more than 12,000miles to it during that trip. After installing my overseas sim into mine in Tesla Fremont service centre, surprisingly.... data internet was still working without and wifi and hotspots. Anyway, I shipped it myself from west coast to my country and flew back. I’m back in my country and still waiting for my Jarvis to arrive at our port. I don’t need any help. Just sharing my experience.

One theory is that the VIN is recorded as a "US vehicle" and that's what Tesla uses to verify the car's access to the Internet gateway, not the SIM. Of course, that doesn't explain why the service tied to the SIM is letting the data pass.

Or the SIM has a Myanmar data plan that includes international roaming!

Anyway, enjoy your new car (as you already have) when it arrives at its new home. And post pictures of it in Myanmar!
Sure.... will do. Here’s my Jarvis at Brooklyn.
1DF1C4A7-1537-4539-8F9C-EEE01865E898.jpeg

out of curiosity, why did you choose the M3?

Ps. Nice pic
A lot of reasons P3D over other Teslas
1. I’m a bachelor with no wife, no kids, it will be for my daily fun ride.
2. I want something with narrower turning radius as some of our streets/roads are narrow
3. I want lower maintenance cost, air suspension over coil suspension
4. Potentially, vast amount of spare parts availability due to bigger number of sales then other models
5. Built on latest built platform
6. Display made for cinema ratio
And so on....

I got some information regarding that, Tesla actually has 2 SIM Cards in the Car, One is more like an SOC and the other is replaceable, so i’m assuming tesla service center replaced the one that is possible to replace but kept SOC one intact, looking forward to your feedback when u get your Model 3 in Myanmar, i still can’t believe, Tesla didn’t make the SIM card easily swappable by the customer, it would make it a true global brand.

A lot of reasons P3D over other Teslas
1. I’m a bachelor with no wife, no kids, it will be for my daily fun ride.
2. I want something with narrower turning radius as some of our streets/roads are narrow
3. I want lower maintenance cost, air suspension over coil suspension
4. Potentially, vast amount of spare parts availability due to bigger number of sales then other models
5. Built on latest built platform
6. Display made for cinema ratio
And so on....
Hi, how’s Jarvis in Myanmar? Any updates about connectivity in your home country? Tq.