Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something to keep in mind about NACS support is the Lucid is not the same voltage architecture as Tesla, it charges slower at all superchargers than top end third party chargers. I know it has the range, better efficiency and if it is on the right charger it will charge faster than a Tesla, however finding those is still problematic. Full disclosure- Tesla owner, Lucid stock owner (only for the tech)
The current Lucids are limited to 50kW when charging on 400v. Tesla's "v4" Superchargers will support 800v, but rolling them out until they're widely available may take several years, especially with Elon having axed the Supercharger team.

Cybertruck "solves" this problem by presenting its battery to the v2/v3 Supercharger as two 400v battery packs, rather than as a single 800v pack. It's unclear what approach Lucid may use when they integrate NACS, but presumably they'll find a way to exceed 50kW. My personal pain threshold would be around 100kW, if I'm ever going to use it for roadtrips. (Note that even native Tesla charging rates typically drop below 100kW anyway in the top half of the pack, so 100kW for Lucid wouldn't be hugely worse than current Teslas in a roadtrip scenario.)

No doubt this makes good value sense for the Lucid buyer, but worries about the company surviving to profitability is a concern.
See similar issues with Rivian.
Does leasing a Lucid (or Rivian?) change the picture for you? I am considering an R1T (driving one next week) as a leased vehicle since I have similar concerns about being left with an unsupported EV as an asset.

I would think the Gravity will be bigger than the X, no? It’s a 3 row SUV that should be longer and wider than the X, but I haven’t seen one in person so I can’t really tell from pictures. It looks pretty nice and the interior will be way nicer than an X or S.
Turns out they are almost exactly the same dimensions: 198” by 79” by 66” for the X, 198” by 79” by 65” for the Gravity. I was misled by the fact that the Air is two inches less long (196”) than the S (198”).

Reactions: Leftlane22
The current Lucids are limited to 50kW when charging on 400v. Tesla's "v4" Superchargers will support 800v, but rolling them out until they're widely available may take several years, especially with Elon having axed the Supercharger team.

Cybertruck "solves" this problem by presenting its battery to the v2/v3 Supercharger as two 400v battery packs, rather than as a single 800v pack. It's unclear what approach Lucid may use when they integrate NACS, but presumably they'll find a way to exceed 50kW. My personal pain threshold would be around 100kW, if I'm ever going to use it for roadtrips. (Note that even native Tesla charging rates typically drop below 100kW anyway in the top half of the pack, so 100kW for Lucid wouldn't be hugely worse than current Teslas in a roadtrip scenario.)
My threshold would have to be higher with such a large pack to begin with. Probably 150. With the pack as large as it is 100 would just take to long to get to 80

Reactions: Yelobird and Ben W
Lucid hardware may well be superior to that of the Tesla (mmmm Sapphire, coooool range), yet in real life, I do not want to subject myself to the non-Tesla charging experience here in SoCal. When I am doing work things or life things as part of the daily grind, the last additional thing I want to think about is long lines, charging speed variability, down units, crappy payment transaction processes, etc.

Tesla's Supercharging experience is so brainless simple, from panel view to plugging in, it is truly their coup de grace. I don't think twice about taking it on LA/SD trips. My errands can depend on their network.

But honestly, the refreshed Model S Plaid is still better looking in my eyes than the Sapphire. For all the extra room you get, the Lucid reminds me of a Buick designed hearse from the rear 3/4 view. Sapphire I would make an exception, but not at a quarter mill + insane lux EV depreciation.

I'm personally going to enjoy my '23 MSP for a couple more years to see how things play out in EV world. I can't imagine not having a DD EV now. MSP is the ideal LA DD for a single dude IMHO.

Lucid hardware may well be superior to that of the Tesla (mmmm Sapphire, coooool range), yet in real life, I do not want to subject myself to the non-Tesla charging experience here in SoCal. When I am doing work things or life things as part of the daily grind, the last additional thing I want to think about is long lines, charging speed variability, down units, crappy payment transaction processes, etc.

Tesla's Supercharging experience is so brainless simple, from panel view to plugging in, it is truly their coup de grace. I don't think twice about taking it on LA/SD trips. My errands can depend on their network.

But honestly, the refreshed Model S Plaid is still better looking in my eyes than the Sapphire. For all the extra room you get, the Lucid reminds me of a Buick designed hearse from the rear 3/4 view. Sapphire I would make an exception, but not at a quarter mill + insane lux EV depreciation.

I'm personally going to enjoy my '23 MSP for a couple more years to see how things play out in EV world. I can't imagine not having a DD EV now. MSP is the ideal LA DD for a single dude IMHO.
It still confuses me how the front of the airs look so good but the rear just kills it. The carbon ducktail helped but just eh

Reactions: DBV1