Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Plaid vs Taycan vs EQS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hoping you at least got a 22ā€™ The others have pretty poor reviews for reliability. Just an observation from reviews.​

Is The Porsche Taycan Worth It?​

If youā€™re interested in a luxury electric option from Porsche, it might seem tempting to go with the Porsche Taycan. However, it isnā€™t worth it. The technology is not as advanced as it should be to bring value.

Those determined to purchase the Taycan should invest in the best years for the product. They will have issues, but significantly fewer than the worst year of the product.

Final Thoughts​

Although the Porsche Taycan is an exciting step for the manufacturer, it isnā€™t worth it just yet. We recommend going with the 2021 or 2022 selection if youā€™re determined to get your hands on the used variety of this product.

We hope this information is helpful! Itā€™s tricky to land on the right year for your money, so our knowledge should clarify the situation and help you determine which version is best for your driveway.

The 2020 is the same car as the 2023 is my understanding from the dealer. Only thing that has been updated is the software I think. Anyway I have the service records and has had zero issues

The 2020 is the same car as the 2023 is my understanding from the dealer. Only thing that has been updated is the software I think. Anyway I have the service records and has had zero issues
I didnā€™t write the review nor say it was my advise. Merely what is shared by past owners and service records on that model. As you made the move 1 day ago I would Hope you have zero issues based on that use.

Was very angry at Tesla for cancelling my 2.5 year right hand drive Plaid reservation. Was certain I was going for a Turbo S cross turismo - had for an overnight test drive. Went out to dinner with the family (2 grown next-gen'rs in the back) +dog. No one cared about the better ride and the promise of better handling (I have real real lightweight performance cars compared to which the Taycan is a dead weight anyway). Everyone complained about the cramped accommodation.

I can't imagine doing long distance in the Taycan compared with the comfort (and range) of our Raven MS with the plus sized battery. Car and driver tested +40-50 miles @ 75 mph, I believe. The quieter interior and nominal handling/braking improvements are incremental/theoretical benefits, but the lack of space and range are very tangible. Planned to put the funds towards a 750S ;)

Almost. 2020 Taycan will not have plug-and-charge, unless you shell out ~$8K for an upgrade ($1,200+installation). You will get an 80A/ 19.2KW onboard for that. Besides than that, there is reason to believe the battery chemistry changed in 2021, and there are some parts improvement (e.g. a rats nest of hoses under the frunk was consolidated into a single manifold in 2021 or 2022) - neither directly translate to driver functionality though. Everything else you can software upgrade. There is however a thing which 2020 might have that 2023 might not, if you are looking at trims below Taycan GTS. During COVID, due to chip shortages, Porsche removed motorized steering column option for all trims under GTS. AFAIK they have not added it back even for current models. This is not a big deal to some, big deal to others (affects "easy entry" and "drive profile memorized steering wheel position").

Was very angry at Tesla for cancelling my 2.5 year right hand drive Plaid reservation. Was certain I was going for a Turbo S cross turismo - had for an overnight test drive. Went out to dinner with the family (2 grown next-gen'rs in the back) +dog. No one cared about the better ride and the promise of better handling (I have real real lightweight performance cars compared to which the Taycan is a dead weight anyway). Everyone complained about the cramped accommodation.

I can't imagine doing long distance in the Taycan compared with the comfort (and range) of our Raven MS with the plus sized battery. Car and driver tested +40-50 miles @ 75 mph, I believe. The quieter interior and nominal handling/braking improvements are incremental/theoretical benefits, but the lack of space and range are very tangible. Planned to put the funds towards a 750S ;)
Funny, my wife had an opposite impression. She always complained about the space in the rear of my Model S, specifically legroom, so she never wanted to go anywhere far in it. She doesn't mind riding on the back (or front) in my Taycan CT - the "foot garages" apparently do their job my providing more legroom for rear passengers. Her only complaint about the Taycan is getting in and out, as the Taycan is low to ground.

I've taken both Model S and Taycan coast to coast in the US, both worked well. Taycan charges faster (270KW max). Tesla has more chargers available in the US, but it has never been a large travel barrier for me. Then again, I driven Teslas since 2013, and never had a single supercharger within range of my first Model S for at least a couple of years. I do remember using the ChaDeMo adapter (which reminds me, I need to sell it, as I don't have Teslas anymore). With a bit of planning I can (and do) road-trip in my CT. I much prefer the driving dynamics of the Taycan over Model S, but then again I love sporty handling. With the Model S I have experienced brake fade when crossing mountain ranges driving spiritedly, not so with the Taycan.

Reactions: Propofoln
Funny, my wife had an opposite impression. She always complained about the space in the rear of my Model S, specifically legroom, so she never wanted to go anywhere far in it. She doesn't mind riding on the back (or front) in my Taycan CT - the "foot garages" apparently do their job my providing more legroom for rear passengers. Her only complaint about the Taycan is getting in and out, as the Taycan is low to ground.
The trick in the MS is to have the front seats in a high position so that one can slip one's feet below them....:).
Respectfully, the MS and the Taycan are just too heavy for proper spirited driving anyway, taking a relative age to turn in at performance speeds.

Respectfully, the MS and the Taycan are just too heavy for proper spirited driving anyway, taking a relative age to turn in at performance speeds.
No argument there. EV's are just heavy monsters. However, if I have to have an all-in-one car, Model S'es did great for me for a decade, now Taycan does an even better job at it. Out of all heavy EV's I've driven, Taycan handles the weight the best. Rear wheel steering hides some of it's size. PDCC and PTV help some with handling. Last but lot least, I've yet to experience Taycan brake fade during spirited road driving, but I have in the Model S. For a track day, I'll take a manual transmission 911 over a Taycan any day (haven't had one of those for a while, nor have I done much tracking *sigh*).

So for a road trip for me and my wife, I'll take the Taycan CT over Model S. We also have a Q8 etron, which is very comfortable, but I still prefer my Taycan for fun driving.

Reactions: Propofoln
Inspired partially by this thread I test drove an I7 and an EQS yesterday. I previously drove a Taycan Turbo S. I have many complaints about my Plaid but I can honestly say it is difficult to replace with any one of those cars. They are all "nicer" and better built but I expected to be blown away by one of them the way I was when I first drove a MS and I just wasn't.

Inspired partially by this thread I test drove an I7 and an EQS yesterday. I previously drove a Taycan Turbo S. I have many complaints about my Plaid but I can honestly say it is difficult to replace with any one of those cars. They are all "nicer" and better built but I expected to be blown away by one of them the way I was when I first drove a MS and I just wasn't.

what were your thoughts on Taycan?

what were your thoughts on Taycan?
Typical excellent Porsche build quality, drives like a much smaller and lighter car so handling is much better than the Plaid. The magazines got great skidpad numbers out of the Plaid similar to the Taycan but there is a world of difference between the cars. UI/tech is much better in the Plaid with the exception of AA/CP support. It has much less cabin and cargo room so it is a no go for me as I use my car for hauling around my kids and their stuff. Obviously it is much slower in a straight line. Lack of one pedal driving ability is a personal preference and I understand that the typical Porsche ICE driver may want all of the regen to be tied to the brake pedal. However, having gotten accustomed to one pedal driving over 6 years of Tesla ownership, I can't go back.

If it had more room and I only had one car to play with, I might could get around the one pedal driving hang-up as the actual driving experience is much better. As it is, I am a believer in using the right tool for the job and having different cars for different purposes. If I want a comfortable, fast, large car to haul stuff/people, I go out in the Plaid (or RS7). If I want to have fun, I hop in the McLaren.

My 2 cents. Taycan is a lovely car and has so many good qualities but it isn't the best fit for me.

Typical excellent Porsche build quality, drives like a much smaller and lighter car so handling is much better than the Plaid. The magazines got great skidpad numbers out of the Plaid similar to the Taycan but there is a world of difference between the cars. UI/tech is much better in the Plaid with the exception of AA/CP support. It has much less cabin and cargo room so it is a no go for me as I use my car for hauling around my kids and their stuff. Obviously it is much slower in a straight line. Lack of one pedal driving ability is a personal preference and I understand that the typical Porsche ICE driver may want all of the regen to be tied to the brake pedal. However, having gotten accustomed to one pedal driving over 6 years of Tesla ownership, I can't go back.

If it had more room and I only had one car to play with, I might could get around the one pedal driving hang-up as the actual driving experience is much better. As it is, I am a believer in using the right tool for the job and having different cars for different purposes. If I want a comfortable, fast, large car to haul stuff/people, I go out in the Plaid (or RS7). If I want to have fun, I hop in the McLaren.

My 2 cents. Taycan is a lovely car and has so many good qualities but it isn't the best fit for me.

Thx for the feedback. Iā€™m honestly torn. I like the one pedal driving, UI and speed of the Plaid. Like the handling, looks, Burmester, ceramic brakes, whole car is PPFā€™d, quietness of the Taycan. Tomorrow Iā€™m supposed to pick it up and sign the papers but having second thoughts that I might miss what I like about the Tesla. Scared to order again and get another vibrating Plaid.

Thx for the feedback. Iā€™m honestly torn. I like the one pedal driving, UI and speed of the Plaid. Like the handling, looks, Burmester, ceramic brakes, whole car is PPFā€™d, quietness of the Taycan. Tomorrow Iā€™m supposed to pick it up and sign the papers but having second thoughts that I might miss what I like about the Tesla. Scared to order again and get another vibrating Plaid.
which vibrations did you have specifically? And did you drive other Plaids that didnā€™t have it?