Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my new Tesla Model S Performance with Ludicrous Mode yesterday but have a question. I don't see Ludicrous Mode listed anywhere in the settings. I see Chill, Sport, Insane and Insane + but no Ludicrous. The rear of the car says Dual Motor only. Is this correct or was the Ludicrous mode not installed on the car? My friend has one and his says Ludicrous +. It seems that for a $20,000.00 Ludicrous upgrade it should say Ludicrous. The owners manual even states Insane + and Ludicrous +. The car does not go 0-60 in 2.4 seconds either, rather more like low 3's. Does anybody have any information on this? Thank you.
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

It’s a software upgrade and they forgot to install it. Go back to the SC or call Tesla and they can push the updates and set the option code to turn it on since you paid for it.

Wow really? I can't believe they'd overlook something like that on a $20,000 upgrade. I asked the girl that went over the delivery with me and she said "I think that's what Insane + means."

Thank you

Wow really? I can't believe they'd overlook something like that on a $20,000 upgrade. I asked the girl that went over the delivery with me and she said "I think that's what Insane + means."

Thank you

sometimes they don't know the difference between the two. Even for current owners who get the $20K Ludicrous option for free, it's done after the fact through a software update and an option code update, and then you see the Ludicrous and Ludicrous+ (it replaces the Insane and Insane+) and you also get the Ludicrous + Easter egg.

Remember, the Ludicrous+ you see next to Ludicrous as a driving mode, that's just Max Battery. To activate the true Ludicrous +, it's an Easter egg, so tap on the "T" upper right, wait for the drawer to slide down, and then tap on the icon that looks like a star field. When that happens, you'll get an awesome warning if you want to activate Ludicrous+. Acknowledge it, and you'll see your Instrument Cluster update, and then you'll be smiling for days as you tap on that accelerator.

• Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Its ridiculous;ous that employees aren't fully educated about the various drive options.

It's quite possible that the employee was a newer hire, for the most resent end of quarter push. It's also possible that they had never seen the "Insane +" option before, rather than the "Ludicrous" in the same spot (I don't think 100D/lower have that?).

Tesla does change features often, and without waiting for the end of each year like a majority of the other car manufacturers. What's standard on one model one week, won't be the next. So like studying for a test which may or may not be updated by the time you take it.

I was thinking that it seems like the service/delivery people have a high turnover rate. I don’t know if they get moved around or that’s where you start etc. every time I call I get a new voice and they always have some “new” answer.

Ps. I have a 14 p85D and have insane+

sometimes they don't know the difference between the two. Even for current owners who get the $20K Ludicrous option for free, it's done after the fact through a software update and an option code update, and then you see the Ludicrous and Ludicrous+ (it replaces the Insane and Insane+) and you also get the Ludicrous + Easter egg.

Remember, the Ludicrous+ you see next to Ludicrous as a driving mode, that's just Max Battery. To activate the true Ludicrous +, it's an Easter egg, so tap on the "T" upper right, wait for the drawer to slide down, and then tap on the icon that looks like a star field. When that happens, you'll get an awesome warning if you want to activate Ludicrous+. Acknowledge it, and you'll see your Instrument Cluster update, and then you'll be smiling for days as you tap on that accelerator.

Thanks Zanary! I spoke with a service tech at Tesla and he confirmed that I paid for Ludicrous and that it wasn't activated. I agree it's ridiculous that Tesla employees aren't fully educated on this. She told me flat out that's what the "+" meant. It's sad that a $20,000 upgrade would come and not even be activated. I actually have to bring my brand new car there and leave it overnight to have it "activated." It's a big lack of attention to detail in my opinion. And what if I never looked into it? I wonder how many people are out there driving with a $20,000 upgrade that they think is activated that actually isn't. Either way, I know I'll have it soon and thank you again.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Are there a limited number of Ludicrous + pulls one can do over the lifetime of the car? Not saying one should always be in this mode and just burning through tires, but if one wanted to, is there a limited number, like a counter, that limits this feature to prevent battery/component degradation?

Are there a limited number of Ludicrous + pulls one can do over the lifetime of the car? Not saying one should always be in this mode and just burning through tires, but if one wanted to, is there a limited number, like a counter, that limits this feature to prevent battery/component degradation?

They got rid of this on the P90DL, and hasnt been on since.
There is many articles in regards to this post, as well as an offical Tesla statement saying they removed it, which lead to the P90's wrecking there battery packs even more.

Tesla Removes Ludicrous Mode Restrictions After Owner Complaints

The P90 Packs are known to be the WORST, and when the P100 packs came out, they got rid of the counter.

Edit:
Ah it seems the Raven's still have Ludicrous.

Last edited:
Reactions: SigRed12
OK so i went to check my car after recent update.

Seems like you should have ludi and not insane, if your car is ludi.
20190725-124342.jpg

Oh and OP i heard from many users that there is almost no difference in power consumption between sports and insane or ludicrous, unless you floor the car all the time, so its preferred you leave it at the third option, so you can have the acceleration when you need it, instead of flipping though your options and activating it.

And if you don't need or want the acceleration, ummm well, unless you got the performance edition for free, i don't understand why you got it.

Last edited:
Thanks Zanary! I spoke with a service tech at Tesla and he confirmed that I paid for Ludicrous and that it wasn't activated. I agree it's ridiculous that Tesla employees aren't fully educated on this. She told me flat out that's what the "+" meant. It's sad that a $20,000 upgrade would come and not even be activated. I actually have to bring my brand new car there and leave it overnight to have it "activated." It's a big lack of attention to detail in my opinion. And what if I never looked into it? I wonder how many people are out there driving with a $20,000 upgrade that they think is activated that actually isn't. Either way, I know I'll have it soon and thank you again.

Obviously they're going to refund your $20K now since the the Ludicrous upgrade is standard on the base P100D, right?