Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does no line on emblem mean no Ludicrous mode on 2018 p100d?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone brand new member here with a question about hopefully my first Tesla I'm buying.

I'm currently in the market for used for 2018 model S p100d and believe I may have found the one I want but I'm concerned it may not have ludicrous mode because of the lack of line under the p100d emblem. The car is from Carmax and I am having it shipped from the current store to my local one so I can see it in person and test drive.

I noticed after paying to transfer the car that the rear emblem doesn't have a line under the p100d. After doing some research I've seen a few posts that say that this is an indicator that this car doesn't come with Ludicrous mode. I was under the impression that all the 2018 model s p100d have ludicrous mode. Inside the car it looks like the menus have it listed with the line. The car was previously a lease vehicle not sure if that matters. My guess is the emblem on the outside fell off when they washed the car but I'm just not sure if I should be concerned about the feature being removed simple because of the exterior badge.

VIN 5YJSA1E45JF249632
Screenshot_20230122-073636.png

Screenshot_20230122-073701.png

Should I be concerned about the possibility that this car may not have the mode or would the emblem on screen also be changed that was the case?

Are there even 2018 model S p100d that have the mode disabled?

The reason I'm asking here instead of just waiting to see in person is the car won't arrive till the first week in February and there is another p100d that's local that for sure has ludicrous mode and I would like to get it instead if the one from CarMax for doesn't have it. The one from CarMax has lower miles and it's the color I want so that would be preferred. I just don't want to be let down after I wait or miss out on the other one.

All help and information is very appreciated thanks.

Nope, as long as that screen is accurate (you can see the bar on the screen) then it has Ludicrous regardless of having a physical bar on the back.

The bar on the back should be there so either it wasn't installed or was removed. The car itself thinks it has it and you should be able to activate Ludicrous+ from the menu. That's the important part, not a $5 emblem. You can add the bar to the outside but the car should have it so long as that's an actual current image of the MCU display.

Same thing would be the case if the bar was there but the screen didn't show that. That means the car doesn't believe it has it which is the important aspect.

Upvote 0
Nope, as long as that screen is accurate (you can see the bar on the screen) then it has Ludicrous regardless of having a physical bar on the back.

The bar on the back should be there so either it wasn't installed or was removed. The car itself thinks it has it and you should be able to activate Ludicrous+ from the menu. That's the important part, not a $5 emblem. You can add the bar to the outside but the car should have it so long as that's an actual current image of the MCU display.

Same thing would be the case if the bar was there but the screen didn't show that. That means the car doesn't believe it has it which is the important aspect.
Great thanks for the reply

Upvote 0
As mentioned above. Here’s a great link explaining setting Ludicrous mode with screenshots. Tesla's Three Levels of Ludicrous Mode Explained and Demonstrated

I would definitely not rely on the badging since you can buy them online and make it appear you have Ludicrous mode and even worst Plaid Badge. I’ve seen Model 3’s with a Plaid badge. There was a transition period where paying for Ludicrous was an option and then in 2019 the Raven Model S were being shipped at no cost. Some with Insane and others with Ludicrous.

My 2019 Performance Model X has the newer Dual Motor badging with the red underline but only has Insane where others have Ludicrous.

Upvote 0
The line may have fallen off, or possibly the car was originally sold without Ludicrous mode if it was purchased in the early 2019 firesale. When they "removed" Ludicrous mode on those cars during the sale, some actually had it disabled but the majority actually retained it.

If it was a lease that was returned to Tesla and then resold to Carmax, it's likely that Tesla enabled Ludicrous mode and has it set to enabled on their backend, with no fear of losing it during an audit.

If on the other hand it was sold without Ludicrous mode, not actually disabled, and did not pass through Tesla's ownership in between, there is a small chance that they audit the car during the ownership transfer and disable Ludicrous mode.

Upvote 0