Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Luminar’s largest customer: Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deploying a (poor) L4 system shouldn't qualify in that category imho. RA isn't a failure, it's a system limitation. I'm pretty sure regulators will be concerned quickly with a bunch of Robotaxis stranded on limited access highways.
I think we’re on the same page here. Robotaxi will require human supervision throughout its ODD until it’s not shitty anymore, which for L4 is an extremely high bar. Mechanical failures (e.g. flat tire) should vastly outnumber autonomy failures in practice before Robotaxi could be considered remotely [see what I did there] ready for driverless operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
That really depends upon how much time that other driver had to spot and perform a risk calculation. Any ideas?
FSD should have observed the lead car swerving, realized that it probably wouldn’t be doing that for no reason, and defaulted to a similar lane repositioning, even before the obstacle became visible. In this case only a very minor repositioning would have been needed to avoid the bucket. The E2E highway stack will very likely solve most situations like this, or at least I hope it will.

FSD should have observed the lead car swerving, realized that it probably wouldn’t be doing that for no reason, and defaulted to a similar lane repositioning, even before the obstacle became visible. In this case only a very minor repositioning would have been needed to avoid the bucket. The E2E highway stack will very likely solve most situations like this, or at least I hope it will.
interesting take. how would FSD qualify a swerve from the leading car as safe? what if it was someone going of zzzzzzzz? The real question is how and when should FSD follow the lead car actions?

Anti-lock brakes are a requirement because they do work. Lidar/radar efficiency is not substantiated by anything other than numerous complaints about their removal.
It’s a moot point until Tesla has logged millions of miles with pure vision L4-in-training. At that point, the nature and rate of its failures can be compared with the nature of L4-with-Lidar failures from other manufacturers, and patterns may emerge. If the patterns are strong enough, and if a strong technical case can be made that Lidar would have prevented a significant number of Tesla’s observed failures, then that could lead to a Lidar mandate. We’re in early days yet. (Prediction is difficult, especially when it’s about the future!)

Last edited:
interesting take. how would FSD qualify a swerve from the leading car as safe?
The same way that a human would. (Drawing on intuition based on years of driving experience.) This is the strength of E2E deep networks; that they simulate such intuitive processes.
what if it was someone going of zzzzzzzz? The real question is how and when should FSD follow the lead car actions?
FSD will be trained over millions of examples to perform the driving task as safely and effectively as possible. It does not require an explicit notion of “when to follow the lead car” or “is that driver falling asleep”, just as our instinctive driving reactions (after years of experience) don’t need to consciously follow such logic either.

The point in this case is that a good amount of circumstantial information is available before the obstacle becomes explicitly visible, and the neural network will learn to incorporate and use such information in the most effective way, just as we do. Explicit pre-programmed rules or heuristics are not required.

Last edited:
The same way that a human would. (Drawing on intuition based on years of driving experience.) This is the strength of E2E deep networks; that they simulate such intuitive processes.
I have been in such an accident in my early days. I was riding shotgun. Too late to make any decisions and we ended crashing into the object that the driver ahead of us swerved at the last minute to avoid.

Unless the cars are talking to each other, this is at best 50% chance of being effective. The problem & risk as I stated was would you try to save your fender at the risk of putting human lives at stake?

Slightly off topic, but a fully end to end single neural network stack might make integration of lidar or radar easier, couldn't it? They could collect training data from real cars pretty easily with more sensor modalities and train it on all of the sensor inputs. Synthetic training data might be harder to generate. The end to end AI just "automagickly" figures out how to act taking into account the different sensors.

My understanding was one* of the main reasons for dropping radar (and not using it on cars that already have it) is the sensor fusion logic is somewhat tricky when trying to do things with traditional C++.

*The other being just hardware and parts availability cost.

Reactions: Ben W
I have been in such an accident in my early days. I was riding shotgun. Too late to make any decisions and we ended crashing into the object that the driver ahead of us swerved at the last minute to avoid.

Unless the cars are talking to each other, this is at best 50% chance of being effective. The problem & risk as I stated was would you try to save your fender at the risk of putting human lives at stake?
Not every problem is a trolley problem. (The vast majority are not.) FSD has constant 360-degree situational awareness, and MUCH faster reflexes than a human. So if there is a safe path to avoid a collision, and there usually is, FSD can find it.

The catch is that FSD won’t be able to learn superhuman reflexes merely by mimicking human driving, because that means mimicking slow human reaction times. But this may be overcomeable with synthetic training data, or possibly by providing real training data leading up to actual crashes and rewarding the network for finding a continuation that doesn’t crash.

There will always be worst-case scenarios (such as the unfortunate video you posted) where a damage-causing collision is unavoidable and is not the fault of the car or driver. Even with an instant reaction time, the car may not have the mechanical capability to get out of the way quickly enough, so it should not try. (Or at least, it should try to find a path that minimizes damage or injury.) But these scenarios are fortunately quite rare in practice, and can be made even rarer by driving conservatively and defensively.

Reactions: enemji
Slightly off topic, but a fully end to end single neural network stack might make integration of lidar or radar easier, couldn't it? They could collect training data from real cars pretty easily with more sensor modalities and train it on all of the sensor inputs. Synthetic training data might be harder to generate. The end to end AI just "automagickly" figures out how to act taking into account the different sensors.

My understanding was one* of the main reasons for dropping radar (and not using it on cars that already have it) is the sensor fusion logic is somewhat tricky when trying to do things with traditional C++.

*The other being just hardware and parts availability cost.
Yes, E2E networks can automagically figure out what to do with all the various sensor modalities, which conveniently avoids the need for hand-coded heuristics or even human intuitive understanding of the sensor data. But there are three major downsides to making a totally new sensor suite. The first is the cost and complexity to redesign the vehicle and rework the production lines. The second is that the existing fleet is now useless for gathering training data for the new fleet, since the sensors are completely different. And third is that making realistic synthetic data (to make up for downside #2) for multimodal sensor suites may be far more difficult than it is for pure vision.

Lucid has taken an approach that avoids all of these downsides. They've substantially overbuilt their sensor suite from the beginning, which greatly reduces the likelihood that they will have to redesign it to achieve full autonomy. Since each of their cars contains the full sensor suite, they can already be collect training data from it, even if the car isn't yet doing any actual self-driving. (It currently has minimal L2 features I believe.) And with so much real-world data gathered since the beginning, it greatly reduces the need for synthetic data when it's finally time to train the networks.

Tesla, on the other hand, is now running smack into all three downsides at once. They also have a fourth downside, which is that they've repeatedly promised autonomy for their existing vision-only fleet, and they may be in a heap of trouble if and when they decide they can't deliver it. Whereas Lucid has under-promised and soft-pedaled their autonomous capabilities and timelines, which will turn out to serve them very well I think.

Reactions: gsmith123
Yep, those downsides make sense (I've been wondering for a while how much of a headwind Tesla is incurring already with 9 different camera configurations: 4 models X HW3 & 4, plus Cybertruck).

It doesn't make much sense for the robotaxi to have a different sensor suite than HW5 (for reason #2) on the 3 and Y. I'll be very surprised if they do that, given how much they've relied on the customer fleet for validation (either live or in shadow) and potentially for sourcing training data. (Which now has me wondering what are they doing with only a few hundred cars worth of lidar, that's miniscule for collecting enough E2E training data)

Reactions: Ben W
Assume you’re talking about the future here.

For well defined input it’s currently about 300ms-400ms. Not great.
Real-world human reaction time in emergency-braking scenarios, including the time required to move the foot from the accelerator to the brake and begin pressing it to slow the car, is around 1.5 seconds. Tesla's current 300-400ms is very much faster than that, and will continue to improve. I fully expect that Tesla will eventually implement a parallel "fast path" network for emergency collision avoidance, roughly akin to the human fast reaction (mediated by spinal cord neurons, not the brain) when e.g. touching a hot stove. Maybe HW5 will drop the latency in half. Maybe HW4 already does, once they start using it natively instead of using it to emulate the HW3 network, which is my understanding of how the current deployment works.

This is another case where lidar and/or radar could help tremendously, since their depth signal is available instantly and doesn't require laggy deep neural networks to infer. But even with 300-400ms lag, FSD's constant 360-degree awareness of which directions are safe to swerve should allow FSD to implement far more effective collision avoidance than a human ever could. (*With well-defined input, which for pure vision may exclude rainstorms or dirty cameras or sun-glare scenarios.)

Last edited:
Tesla's current 300-400ms is very much faster than that,
You’d need to demonstrate that. Humans are insanely fast.

Your link does not address reaction time as typically defined. It addresses the entire response. Need to compare the same things.

In future obviously it could be way better. But right now it sucks.

Right now I consistently routinely absolutely devastate FSDS on reaction time. (And response time, if you prefer to compare on that basis.)

Even if it sometimes prevents an accident that I would otherwise have, that does not nearly make up for the shortcomings.

FSD can prevent many accidents and dramatically increase the accident rate!

Last edited:
You’d need to demonstrate that. Humans are insanely fast.

Your link does not address reaction time as typically defined. It addresses the entire response. Need to compare the same things.
FSD is 300-400ms from "photons in" to "control out". There's no further lag; if the "control out" tells the car to brake, the deceleration starts right away. FSD doesn't have a slow analog nerve impulse that has to travel from brain to foot, and it doesn't have a physical foot to move from accelerator to brake and start pressing it. Whatever time it takes a human to do all that, FSD doesn't have that lag. In emergency-braking scenarios, FSD’s reaction time (photons-to-deceleration) has been empirically measured in the real world at 300ms, whereas human+car photons-to-deceleration latency is more like 1500ms. That’s the apples-to-apples comparison.
In future obviously it could be way better. But right now it sucks.
I suspect this perception is mostly a training issue, not a response-time issue. I.e. the neural net seems slow because it doesn't think it's time to brake yet, perhaps because it's trained to simulate human response time for non-emergencies, not because it hasn't taken the input into account. With improved training, it may start braking sooner in the situations you think it should.
Right now I consistently routinely absolutely devastate FSDS on reaction time. (And response time, if you prefer to compare on that basis.)
How are you measuring this? Again, I think the perception is because the neural net thinks it isn't time to act yet, not because the neural net hasn't fully processed the input. In non-emergency situations, it's probably simulating slow human reaction time, because that's what it's been trained to mimic.
Even if it sometimes prevents an accident that I would otherwise have, that does not nearly make up for the shortcomings.

FSD can prevent many accidents and dramatically increase the accident rate!
Oh, no question v12.3.6 makes mistakes left and right. The architecture is undoubtedly capable of far higher reliability and correctness than it's currently achieving, and its current version makes a lot of bad decisions, including to not act when it should. My point is that when it does make a correct decision to act in an emergency situation, it can act (or to be more precise, it can cause the car to act) much faster than a human could.

Last edited:
Reactions: enemji
has been empirically measured in the real world at 300ms,
There's no evidence here. I strongly doubt this.

There are Green videos of AEB activating and the vehicle slamming into obstacles that were visible well in advance.

How are you measuring this? Again, I think the perception is because the neural net thinks it isn't time to act yet, not because the neural net hasn't fully processed the input. In non-emergency situations, it's probably simulating slow human reaction time, because that's what it's been trained to mimic.
Just based on disengaging routinely before the car does anything.
My point is that when it does make a correct decision to act in an emergency situation, it can act (or to be more precise, it can cause the car to act) much faster than a human could
Never seen any evidence of this.

FSDS is better than earlier iterations, but it's just on par (best case) with an alert human driver. That's all that I've seen & extremely carefully and rigorously documented elsewhere here.

FSD doesn't have a slow analog nerve impulse that has to travel from brain to foot, and it doesn't have a physical foot to move from accelerator to brake and start pressing it.
It’s way slower from noticing the yellow to applying the brakes than a human is even with identical reaction times. It just does not react quickly and eases it in over time even though it has perceived the light change. Not surprising of course.

Humans are super quick because as soon as that accelerator is released massive braking ensues.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP