Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Auto Insurance - what are you paying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I figured out is that for whatever reason Progressive gives a discount for accident avoidance technology while for whatever reason Allstate does not appear to.

I had a Jeep Wrangler with Allstate. While I loved the Jeep, it's not exactly a safe or high tech car. It gets mediocre safety ratings and has a braking distance slightly better than a freight train so it is high risk for rear ending someone not to mention rollovers.

When I traded it in on a Mazda CX-5 which has much better safety ratings, much better accident avoidance tech (adaptive CC and forward collision warning and mitigation) and was comparably priced, I fully expected my insurance to go down. In fact, it went UP.

I switched to Progressive after getting a much better quote and saw that they were giving me a discount for the accident avoidance tech. So when I traded that in for a Model 3, even though it was a more expensive car, my insurance only went up slightly, once again because of the tech discount.

In fact, my Tesla only costs about $7 more over 6 months than my wife's Chrysler Pacifica which was much cheaper but has very limited tech.

Rates in California is pretty bad in general. I have Metromile which worked out great when I didn't drive a lot, but with the Model 3 I'm raking up the miles and I should start shopping around.

I paid $95 for last month having driven 890 miles.

Bodily Injury: $250K/$500K
Property Damage: $100K
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $250K/$500K
Comprehensive deductible: 1K

Monthly base rate is $41 and 6.7cents per mile driven.
Northern Califonia

Wow! That sounds so much like me. I was with Allstate and was quoted > $1000 for 6 months. Switched to Progressive and now paying $305 for 6 months.

Similar coverage.
Minneapolis
Slightly older than 45 (we'll leave it at that)
No accidents or tickets for at least 10 years.
Daily commute 21 miles each way.

One question: Do you have $0 glass? I didn't by default and had to have them add it. Added $12 / month to my coverage.

I didn't see anything in the online quote about glass. I am betting i am not covered on glass. Thank you so much for this information. I will defiantly check with them on it.

Hey, All,

I've been shopping around for insurance (Model 3) and there's been some crazy quotes. But there's this one (State Farm) - it's middle range. Can you give me your opinion?

Bodily Injury: 100K / 300K total
Property Damage: 100K
Comprehensive: 1K deductible
Collision: 1 k deductible

Quote: $248 / month $2,968 annually

Seems a little high but I've had much worse presented to me.

What are you paying?
1,900 with Traveler's

Feels like a solid deal for the coverages I have.

Only one vehicle - so no multi-car discount - it was a couple hundred less for the Tesla when I had another car on the policy.

Good deals available with a clean license/history.

37/Male/'18 M3 LR RWD in NJ

Whereabouts in NJ? I’m in Morris and use State Farm:

Grand total: $452.46 for 6 months. Quite happy.

6DB9014E-DC2A-43B2-ACF4-67D3DF34EC0B.png
F601A217-8D09-43D0-826E-DC4BD0E5F919.jpeg