Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3- Battery Charge Variations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my M3 in June. I charge it at home to keep it at 80%.

Initial two months, 80% charge would translate to 400 KMs. But last month, it reduced to 397.

Now it charges to 80% but it translates to only 376 KMs.

I know that battery discharge depends on many factor including drive style, environment, AC etc.

But the actual charging should not change so much in just few months.

Anyone else has the same situation?

I got my M3 in June. I charge it at home to keep it at 80%.

Initial two months, 80% charge would translate to 400 KMs. But last month, it reduced to 397.

Now it charges to 80% but it translates to only 376 KMs.

I know that battery discharge depends on many factor including drive style, environment, AC etc.

But the actual charging should not change so much in just few months.

Anyone else has the same situation?

It absolutely can change that quickly based off of outside temp and driving style alone....the range estimate in EVs is just that: an estimate. Once you get more familiar with you car you will get a better intuition .

Just be prepared for winter when your range will drop by 30-40% due to cabin heating plus outside temp. Every year message boards are flooded with people claiming their batteries are degrading in Oct/Nov/Dec...it's just the weather combined with the nut behind the wheel :)

I wouldn't worry about it.

It absolutely can change that quickly based off of outside temp and driving style alone....the range estimate in EVs is just that: an estimate. Once you get more familiar with you car you will get a better intuition .

Just be prepared for winter when your range will drop by 30-40% due to cabin heating plus outside temp. Every year message boards are flooded with people claiming their batteries are degrading in Oct/Nov/Dec...it's just the weather combined with the nut behind the wheel :)

I wouldn't worry about it.

I am aware of the range drop.

What I was looking at the charging to 80%. Equal of that should always remain close to 400 KMs.

Actual range may reduce based weather and driving.

Why the charging to 80% is changing?

I am aware of the range drop.

What I was looking at the charging to 80%. Equal of that should always remain close to 400 KMs.

Actual range may reduce based weather and driving.

Why the charging to 80% is changing?

Charging to 80% will vary the range the same as charging to 100%...think of it this way 397km to 376 km is only about 6%. I'm quite sure that this is due to different driving or different temp outside.

If you really do think it's a problem with your battery, have tesla do a diagnostic. But having owned EVs for almost 5 years now I can say confidently that 99.9% of the time when I see posts about people saying their range is decreasing, it's nothing to do with the battery and everything to do with recent driving style, etc.

Case in point, one day recently I did some hypermiling in my volt to get home without the gas turning on. I ended up doing 110km on the full battery charge if 14kwh. The battery is rated for 83km, and I typically get around 90 or 95km at this time of year. But two days later my estimated range said I should get 105km. Now after 2 days I'm back to saying I have about 95km of range.

Now that I think of it though, one thing to check is that your tires are properly inflated and alignment is good. If either of those are off, that could affect efficiency, and therefore range.

Other than that, just don't sweat it too much and enjoy the ride :)