Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 driving stiff or is it just me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my Tesla Model 3 LR AWD a few days ago. So far, it rides nice and the seats are comfortable. But, even though it hugs the road it kind of feels stiff to me. Maybe it’s supposed to and I’m just not used to they way Tesla’s feel. I was previously driving a 2018 Dodge Charger and it handles great and is a comfortable long distance riding car. Does anyone else notice a stiff type ride or is it just me? Don’t get me wrong, the car overall is a great ride so I don’t want to seem like I’m complaining. It’s just an observation.

Do you mean the steering wheel is stiff? If so, there are three levels of stiffness you can choose from in the settings.

Or are you talking about how the car accelerates/decelerates? If you are new to Tesla and electric cars, regenerative braking may feel strange: you release the accelerator and the car quickly slows down, as if the brakes are locked. You can reduce the level of regenerative braking in settings. Try that!

If you are talking about stiff suspension, then yes it did feel pretty stiff to me initially, compared to the air suspension in the Model S. However, after a few months it felt less stiff to me. Or perhaps I just got used to it!

Last edited:
Do you mean the steering wheel is stiff? If so, there are three levels of stiffness you can choose from in the settings.

Or are you talking about how the car accelerates/decelerates? If you are new to Tesla and electric cars, regenerative braking may feel strange: you release the accelerator and the car quickly slows down, as if the brakes are locked. You can reduce the level of regenerative braking in settings. Try that!

If you are talking about stiff suspension, then yes it did feel pretty stiff to me initially, compared to the air suspension in the Model S. However, after a few months it felt less stiff to me. Or perhaps I just got used to it!
The steering wheel feels amazing so not qualms with that. Yep, I'm new to driving EV's, so even though the accelerate/decelerate feel different, I think it's more of the suspension aspect to me. I guess kind of stiff feeling while it's hugged/glued to the road. I presume it's not a bad thing it's just more noticeable than driving my Charger. As for the regen brake feature I have on that on Low for now until I get more comfortable with the car then I'll switch to Standard.

Reactions: DriveMe
I felt the same way when I got my SR+ two months ago, actually thinking the car felt kinda cheap (please don't hate me... read on). I've since dropped the tire pressure slightly which helped (had 46 -47 psi, lowered to 42), but I think more importantly I've come to really appreciate how the car behaves and how it rides, to the point that I just love it. It's difficult to explain but I think you'll understand with time and as you have more opportunity to experience it. Hang in there.

I felt the same way when I got my SR+ two months ago, actually thinking the car felt kinda cheap (please don't hate me... read on). I've since dropped the tire pressure slightly which helped (had 46 -47 psi, lowered to 42), but I think more importantly I've come to really appreciate how the car behaves and how it rides, to the point that I just love it. It's difficult to explain but I think you'll understand with time and as you have more opportunity to experience it. Hang in there.
Yeap, lower tire pressure. I'm running 40psi now and I think it's the sweet spot. Be sure to reset the TPM if you change your pressure.

Does anyone else notice a stiff type ride or is it just me?

Yeah it has a relatively sporty suspension. Check your tire pressures as suggested.

If you think the front is stiff, you should try riding in the back - it's quite jarring! Fortunately I don't have to worry about that, and the ride in the front is fine for me even with 45PSI. Note I am coming from a 2005 STi running RE-71Rs though. :)

I feel that my previous 2009 BMW 328i XDrive had a stiffer, clunky suspension, whereas my Model 3 LR is firm but smooth ride. Also, i'v noticed that the M3 eats up road bumps such as rail road crossings whereas my 2015 Chevy Tahoe bounces all over the place.
I should note that I chose the stock 18" rims so that I can easily put-on snow tires. I believe the 18" rims have a little more cushion to them compared to 19" or the 20".

I feel that my previous 2009 BMW 328i XDrive had a stiffer, clunky suspension, whereas my Model 3 LR is firm but smooth ride. Also, i'v noticed that the M3 eats up road bumps such as rail road crossings whereas my 2015 Chevy Tahoe bounces all over the place.
It’s a great ride and handles bumps really well. Like I said, it’s just an obvious observation and not what I expected. My Charger is really comfortable on long trips and I hope my Model 3 is as well. The seats are very comfortable in the M3 so no worries there. I know it’s a sports suspension, but I’ll need to dial it in to get ready for long trips.

I too find the ride stiff and jarring sometimes especially at low speeds. Highway speeds it seems to be soaking up the bumps pretty good except those big ones. I am running very low PSI (37 cold), feels better than the recommended 45. Not minding the warning message. My other car is a CRV, using for two years now, may be the reason for this feel. I think I am also getting used to the ride, but researching on aftermarket comfort suspension on the parallel.

For the Model 3, I have the LR AWD with 18s Aeros. My Charger is a V-6, 17s, about 300hp getting 540 miles a tank for highway driving. City about 350-360.
That's really good mileage for a powerful ICE car. My G35 Coupe was about the same HP, but it only got about 18 mph around town! I was going through 2 tanks of premium a month. About 320 miles per tank and $60 to fill! That's one of the reasons I got rid of it.