Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 MIC paint quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yessuz

Dec 30, 2021
Midlands
I already noticed couple of very small chips, straight to primer located on the front bumper (near headlights).
anyone else got it quite quickly?

what option? something like chips away? because tesla will not fix that as "warranty\2 I presume

I already noticed couple of very small chips, straight to primer located on the front bumper (near headlights).
anyone else got it quite quickly?

what option? something like chips away? because tesla will not fix that as "warranty\2 I presume
I have to admit, after a long journey last weekend and washing, I noticed a couple of chips in exact the same spot. Front bumper near the headlights. I have no idea if there is touch up paint available for this car...

I have to admit, after a long journey last weekend and washing, I noticed a couple of chips in exact the same spot. Front bumper near the headlights. I have no idea if there is touch up paint available for this car...
There is touch up paint available for every car, and has been for decades because ....

They all get stone chips.

.. and have done since roads were invented.

The paint is definitely on the “soft” side. After a 1500 miles road trip to Scotland and back I noticed at least 8 or 10 chips in the front area of the car. Total miles now around 4000 and are a few more. Would not expect that many so quickly based on past experience with a slew of BMWs.

Investing in touch up paint is going to be a must by the look of it.

The paint is definitely on the “soft” side. After a 1500 miles road trip to Scotland and back I noticed at least 8 or 10 chips in the front area of the car. Total miles now around 4000 and are a few more. Would not expect that many so quickly based on past experience with a slew of BMWs.

Investing in touch up paint is going to be a must by the look of it.
Scottish stones are much harder than English stones- Fact. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: squarepeg77
BMW paint is notoriously hard. Almost every other paint is soft by comparison.

BMW paint is notoriously hard. Almost every other paint is soft by comparison.
Can attest. Paint correction on them was always exhausting.

Tesla paint is more like Honda paint. Buff with wd40 to remove clear coat.

This is one of the reasons other OEMs also like to use plastic with the colour baked in as a material in the flat sections on front bumpers as it's far more resilient to stones and road debris, and one of the reasons I'll be doing DIY PPF on my front bumper when it's warmer. 😙

I had a few chips on my last BMW, the Tesla (Fremont) has actually fared better but I've done much less motorway miles so not really a fair comparison. Both cars have a few small ones on the drivers doors that I think were from salt gritters. I believe all car paint is "soft" now compared to years ago due to making it more environmentally friendly.

Windscreen wait times, and dreadful service from Insurers preference for AutoGlass on the 3 or 4 occasions I've needed it over last few years, now make me drive with a very large gap to vehicle in front, more especially if a tipper-lorry on a rural road ...

If there isn't an upcoming opportunity to overtake (e.g. an empty layby :) ) I'm a long way back.

But I dunno if that will actually help reduce stone chips too?

Windscreen wait times, and dreadful service from Insurers preference for AutoGlass on the 3 or 4 occasions I've needed it over last few years, now make me drive with a very large gap to vehicle in front, more especially if a tipper-lorry on a rural road ...

If there isn't an upcoming opportunity to overtake (e.g. an empty layby :) ) I'm a long way back.

But I dunno if that will actually help reduce stone chips too?
I’m the same these days…

Have a hatred for people who pull in far too close having overtaken (or undertaken depending on the road)…. Aside from the obvious danger, dont they know that all the dirt and debris gets pushed to the outside of the lanes?! So when they cut across the white lines one foot in front of the bumper…. that’s when crap gets kicked up so give some room!!

Need a cuppa to calm down now.

Reactions: WannabeOwner