Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 automated boot damage on left hinge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
Dear UK folks,

A few days ago I closed my M3’s boot using the button, as usual, and I noticed the left hinge did a bit of a funny motion, as if it was trying to close too far, or maybe didn’t close quite straight. Didn’t think much of it initially but when I checked the hinge properly I saw this has been damaged. The end of the boot hinge part has rubbed against the main body of the car and now sits lower. I can’t tell whether this has bent out of shape or whether the hinge/mount has shifted and is sitting lower. The rest of the boot seems square, so I think it’s more likely bent than the mounts shifting, but I can’t be 100% sure. I’ve opened/closed it a few times and it doesn’t seem to be rubbing any further.

I’ve already read another (US based) thread where some people have had this fixed under warranty, whilst other people have been fobbed off by their SC. Has anyone here had this happen to their M3? And if so, what was Tesla’s response? I’ll be raising this with Gatwick SC when I’m back home next month and I’m wondering how much I need to prepare to have a battle. It would be useful to have some examples of where this has been repaired under warranty, as I feel it should be. If people have been fobbed off by Tesla, what did you do?

Also, how bad is the damage? It looks to me like it maybe just needs straightening out and some patch-up paint applying? But then, I’m far from an expert…

Apologies for the dirty pics, hopefully you can see where the paint has been chipped/rubbed!

Attachments

• IMG_5459.jpeg
    IMG_5459.jpeg
    802.6 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_5460.jpeg
    IMG_5460.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5461.jpeg
    IMG_5461.jpeg
    800.6 KB · Views: 104
Its clearly moved and can only be if the hinge is bent or loose, You will also know there has been quite a few issues with Tesla's one powered strut failing and taking out the rear screen as it breaks - and a now misaligned boot panel either due to the hinge damage/loose will be putting that joint under additional strain - The hinge assembly is not a user serviceable part as designated by Tesla therefore I cant see any argument from Tesla in fixing this under the warranty, indeed reporting this early is potentially going to prevent additional damage to both paint and rear screen. Until they have looked at it I wouldn't use the boot or if you absolutely need to I would be assisting the lifting of the bootlid by hand to ease the strain. The chipped paint - Chipex Kit is probably your best bet - I've never had a garage of any manufacturer do anything with a paint chip other than blob a bit of paint on as amateurish as a 5 yr old would do.

• Informative
Reactions: Cardo
Update to this for anyone who suffers this issue. Tesla have fixed this under warranty without a fuss. They’ve replaced the powered strut and fixed and resprayed the edge of the boot lid. New powered strut seems better. The old one seemed to struggle to close the boot gently and this would slam every time. New strut has a more controlled close, though still has a bit of a “slam” so doesn’t use the latching motor.

• Informative
Reactions: GRiLLA and Durzel