Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Mobile Connector (UMC) Charging Fluctuations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the UMC cable for home charging (and have been doing so for a number of months) and used to see a steady 10 mi/hr 231-235 V 10/10 A charging rate.

In the last few weeks I've noticed the charging rate using the UMC cable fluctuate between 5 to 10 mi/hr and 5/5A to 10/10A. The charging rate changes several times a minute and sometimes only stays on the lower charging values for just a few seconds.

I've tried a 3 pin socket in other locations/houses and similar fluctuations and unsteady behaviour from the mobile connector.

Anyone else seen this type of continuous fluctuating charging behaviour from your UMC cable?

Time to get the cable checked out with SC?

After 10 mths, I had an issue with my UMC. It developed a thermal fault whereby the T would flash red. Tested with multiple adapters and different sockets but problem persisted. It would still charge, but was limited to 4kw. Reported to Tesla via the App and they were happy to replace under warranty. No issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I also use the UMC for charging at home and get 10mph, if however you’ve got a lot of other items drawing current at the same time the car knocks it down from 10a to 5amps.
How does the UMC know your house load? If you were drawing too much at the same time the main fuse / trip would go. Unless you've got some sort of monitoring system talking to your smart meter?

Reactions: ringi
How does the UMC know your house load? If you were drawing too much at the same time the main fuse / trip would go. Unless you've got some sort of monitoring system talking to your smart meter?

It doesn't know your house load but can be influenced by it. As load on local electrical area goes up, voltage often drops. If it starts getting too low, car may think there is a problem and starts to throttle rate. Also, power is proportional to voltage, so low voltage gives less power and slower charge rate. Also, difference between charging at 220v vs 250v is around 12% slower charge.

After 10 mths, I had an issue with my UMC. It developed a thermal fault whereby the T would flash red. Tested with multiple adapters and different sockets but problem persisted. It would still charge, but was limited to 4kw. Reported to Tesla via the App and they were happy to replace under warranty. No issues.
Do you mean 4amps not 4KW? The UMC can only do 2KW even when working properly?

It doesn't know your house load but can be influenced by it. As load on local electrical area goes up, voltage often drops. If it starts getting too low, car may think there is a problem and starts to throttle rate. Also, power is proportional to voltage, so low voltage gives less power and slower charge rate. Also, difference between charging at 220v vs 250v is around 12% slower charge.
Yes that's right, the local area load will effect the voltage not the house load. If the house load is then their is a serious issue with the house circuit.

My T is intermittently flashing red too and the UMC handle button no longer opens the charging port flap.

Time to report to SC.

Definitely report it. With my UMC fault, I tested it on different sockets and even at a different property; T still flashed red. I was then confident the issue was with the UMC and not my socket or supply. It took 2-3 weeks for Tesla to supply the replacement; thankfully I had purchased a spare UMC shortly after delivery, so was still able to charge whilst I waited. Check your in car notifications too:

79290950-6484-4464-AC5A-D9E05BD6C2BB.jpeg

Last edited: