Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Remote Reservoir Shocks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

canasion35

Feb 8, 2021
FL
Listings
Anybody have these in development? With the limited amount of rear travel in the rear shocks, I figure a remote reservoir would allow more stroke and increase shock travel in the rears along with increased cooling capability. Or taking it a step further, maybe internal bypasses?

I have a spare King damper with a remote res. And it got me thinking of it works for trucks to do all the above improvements, will it work for our Model 3’s?

Outside of shock travel, is there much space for more wheel travel without significant stresses on the various bushings, the axles, or with significant changes in wheel alignment at the extremes?
Based on a quick eyeball check, the front will run out of travel when the front upper control arm hits the top of the wheel arch, and the rear might have a little more before the spring is fully compressed.

And per your comment, I'm not knowledgeable enough to consider any additional wear or alignment issues beyond some pretty extreme rear camber at beyond typical full compression.

Also, sorry for not answering the actual question! MPP does make remote-reservoir shocks, but I am almost certain it is for fluid management rather than increased travel.

Building a Rally Model 3??

Building a Rally Model 3??
No sir - just looking to gain a little bit more rear wheel travel before hitting the bump stops! I am low low in the rear and annoyed that i only have a couple inches of travel before the bumps come into play. Even a progressive bump stop would be cool, or internal bypass, something similar.
1675435254680.png

Anybody have these in development? With the limited amount of rear travel in the rear shocks, I figure a remote reservoir would allow more stroke and increase shock travel in the rears along with increased cooling capability. Or taking it a step further, maybe internal bypasses?

I have a spare King damper with a remote res. And it got me thinking of it works for trucks to do all the above improvements, will it work for our Model 3’s?
Define what you mean by limited travel and what benefits you think there would be to more travel? Please consult with MPP before you go Rambo on this. Doubt very much that a reservoir would increase suspension travel. Removing the stock bump stops and avoiding their premature engagement was one of the goals of MPP's tuning up of the KW coilover system.

the only way to get more travel is to get a set of custom shock bodies that are specifically shortened for the ride height that you're looking for.

remote reservoir function is only to increase fluid capacity (cooling/less cavitation) and allow for more precise low/high speed bump control.

you might also consider running stiffer spring rates to prevent bottoming out on the bump stop. MPP has a set of supersport springs for that. Usually
that is what is needed when you want to dramatically lower the car.

also be careful running too low as you will start messing with the axle roll center, bumpsteer and other suspension geometry issues.. lower is not always
better for handling.

Reactions: tm1v2
No sir - just looking to gain a little bit more rear wheel travel before hitting the bump stops! I am low low in the rear and annoyed that i only have a couple inches of travel before the bumps come into play. Even a progressive bump stop would be cool, or internal bypass, something similar.
View attachment 902861
See mpp's website for insight into this problem but there's no need to reinvent the wheel. The problem has already been largely mitigated.

@canasion35 Like the other responses here, I doubt that shock reservoir length is the issue.

"I want to be really low" and "I want good compression travel" seem fundamentally at odds unless you want your car to slam into the ground when compressing over uneven pavement.

You could switch to coilovers with adjustable shock body length, like I have, which might let you increase compression travel, but I don't think that's the right solution in this case. I'm pretty confident MPP setup their bump stops based on what actually makes sense for the overall suspension and car. My Redwood suspension has adjustable damper bodies but Redwood still has very specific recommendations about what to set them to, again because there is only so much compression that actually makes sense.

I would guess that letting it compress too low might run into issues like battery hitting the ground, control arms hitting things, bushings binding, or spring coils touching. I don't know which of those is the most limiting factor but I'm pretty sure one or more of those is why Tesla and MPP and Redwood all limit the rear compression travel as much as they do. Again I doubt that shock reservoir size is the limiting factor for any of them.

If you want decent compression travel raise your car back up to a more practical height! If that's not acceptable then I agree with @stevehifi, get stiffer springs and crank up your dampers stiffer, so that at least you bottom out less, and less hard. I think that's the tradeoff for going really low. Racecars are not so great to drive on the street... ;)

Reactions: canasion35
I played around with droop and travel without the coil spring and you guys are all right, there is no more suspension travel to be gained. Battery pack bottoms out before the wheel touches the top of the fender tubs.
Like I said to you before you seem to be rather fond of reinventing the wheel. Reach out to Mountain Pass next time you have a question about this stuff. They probably already been down that road and have an answer. Might even save you a lot of grief to say nothing of effort and time

Like I said to you before you seem to be rather fond of reinventing the wheel. Reach out to Mountain Pass next time you have a question about this stuff. They probably already been down that road and have an answer. Might even save you a lot of grief to say nothing of effort and time
That is probably my biggest pitfall! I always have to try things out myself before I let ideas die. Funny you can pick up on that so quick. Nevertheless, thank you to everybody for your inputs and help on this!

Reactions: dfwatt

That is probably my biggest pitfall! I always have to try things out myself before I let ideas die. Funny you can pick up on that so quick. Nevertheless, thank you to everybody for your inputs and help on this!
@canasion35 Not a pitfall! As I'm sure you know, the experience of testing and trying and experimenting with something yourself is often far more educational and useful than just reading the answer, if you want to really understand it and maybe go deeper into the topic/subject.

To me that test you performed sounded completely worthwhile no matter that some folks could've told you the answer offhand. 👍

Reactions: canasion35