Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 SR+ charging everynight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I have been reading/hearing that we can charge car everyday/night that doesn't effect battery life in long run. Still wanted to know more about it as I charge it every night.
Here is more info about how I charge it:
Charge it 80% i.e. - 200 miles every night
drive 60 miles everyday + phantom drain + Sentry mode altogether after reaching home there will be ~105 miles left. So I charge it to 200 miles in the night and this is my routine.

So now I am thinking instead of charging it to 200 miles everyday why don't I charge it 150 miles only since any way I am charging it every night.
Any better ideas how to optimize it which can lower down the electricity bill and does not effect battery performance and at the same fulfill my commute.

Thanks!!

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Is there an option to see it in % on dashboard beside little battery icon just like miles?

Yes, hit the car icon for Settings, the Display. I highly recommend reading the manual, there’s a link if you google it instead of sitting in the car to read it on the screen...

Also, I recommend watching a bunch of YouTube videos on the Model 3, even if the video is months old it can help you.

And regarding the electric bill, yeah once I got into my routine and stopped just driving to drive it didn’t add much to the bill. And like I said, still waaaaaay less than gas

Charging to 80% is perfect. Keep doing that.
Are there other new things in your house consuming electricity? $30 per month is a typical increase for electrical usage. I just tell people it's $1 per day. $80 sounds like a huge increase. I'd have to drive 5,500-6,000 miles in a month to hit that figure.

how is this different than using scheduled departure?

Scheduled departure idiotically turns the charging off at 6 AM, no matter what departure time you set- presumably because the programmers personal electric rates went up at 6 AM (the release notes actually cite this time as when rates go up- which is obviously only true for a specific group of folks and not most)

Reactions: willow_hiller
Charging to 80% is perfect. Keep doing that.
Are there other new things in your house consuming electricity? $30 per month is a typical increase for electrical usage. I just tell people it's $1 per day. $80 sounds like a huge increase. I'd have to drive 5,500-6,000 miles in a month to hit that figure.
No new things. I compared it with this month of last year and it increased by $80. I drive 1000-1200 miles per month excluding long drives for that I charge it at SC stations. Am I missing anything here, anybody would know the tips and tricks to lower it down to avg $1 per day?

No new things. I compared it with this month of last year and it increased by $80. I drive 1000-1200 miles per month excluding long drives for that I charge it at SC stations. Am I missing anything here, anybody would know the tips and tricks to lower it down to avg $1 per day?

Check with your power company and see if they have a time of use plan?

My bill actually went down when I got my Tesla because owning an EV got me access to a billing plan only EV owners can get

Check with your power company and see if they have a time of use plan?

My bill actually went down when I got my Tesla because owning an EV got me access to a billing plan only EV owners can get
We don't have such things in NJ but there is a on-peak and off-peak billing with different meter called RLM. I thought that is not useful in my case because I need to plan things that consume most of the electricity like laundry after 9 PM.
Anybody from NJ know if PSE&G offering specials for EV users in the state?