Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 vs MY efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a M3 which I've driven over 8,300 miles with about 213Wh/Mi with grandma driving, would be much lower if we didn't have to blast AC during the summer.

I just got the MY and noticed that the battery usage is about 15% higher even though we do not turn on the A/C, namely the "driving" section of the battery efficiency page shows much lower savings from my usual driving habits.

On a side note I also noticed the "other" category in the page is about double of expected.

Anyone else noticed the same and is this expected going from M3->MY? I think heavy rain may have driven some of the efficiency loss in my current charge.

I had a M3 which I've driven over 8,300 miles with about 213Wh/Mi with grandma driving, would be much lower if we didn't have to blast AC during the summer.

I just got the MY and noticed that the battery usage is about 15% higher even though we do not turn on the A/C, namely the "driving" section of the battery efficiency page shows much lower savings from my usual driving habits.

On a side note I also noticed the "other" category in the page is about double of expected.

Anyone else noticed the same and is this expected going from M3->MY? I think heavy rain may have driven some of the efficiency loss in my current charge.
The difference is written on the sticker man, should be no surprise.

The difference is written on the sticker man, should be no surprise.
Right I was expecting a 10% loss based on the EPA rating, but I'm seeing 15% despite the M3 being elevated due to summer AC blast, so realistically it might be close to 20%. I've also never had a situation where I don't have at least 10% savings from the "Driving" category of the battery monitor, but on the MY it's less than 5%.

I'm sure someone has figured this out already. I purchased a Model Y LR about 1200 miles ago. I use the Charging Stats on my iPhone's Tesla APP to track our daily overnight charges from our Wall Charger so I can track the the efficiency of the car and how its mileage compares. Over the first month, 800 miles of 20-30 miles/day city driving, I noticed the MYLR used almost 400 Watts/mile (new guys always have a lead foot I guess). Then we took a 400 mile highway trip and the efficiency improved to 340 Watts/mi (~3 miles per kW). That is still not good, right. But when I look at what the car tells me on "TRIPS", it says our lifetime (1200 miles) driving has averaged 264 Watts/mile (3.9 miles/kW). It says we are doing real well. My quandary is this: when I compare the car TRIPS screen it shows reasonably good efficiency (264 Watts/mile, about 3.9 miles/kW) for the lifetime of 1200 miles. But the stats coming from my Tesla APP where I've logged in every overnight charge shows a much higher usage (350 kW/mile, about 3 miles/kW)! That's almost a 30% difference between what the car shows on its TRIPS screen versus the APP. Am I seeing a drain while the car sits? That's about 100kW lost over six weeks (2.5 kW/day). That's over a "tank" (70kW) of electricity every month. That's one big LEAK of electricity while the car sits in the garage! Any ideas?

That's almost a 30% difference between what the car shows on its TRIPS screen versus the APP. Am I seeing a drain while the car sits? That's about 100kW lost over six weeks (2.5 kW/day). That's over a "tank" (70kW) of electricity every month. That's one big LEAK of electricity while the car sits in the garage! Any ideas?
Depending on your charge rate, you are getting 5% to 15% in losses during charging... Energy going through the charger that does not end up in the battery.