Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 - when should we buy?

When Should We Buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first post. I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have a wall charger, a bunch of accessories, but no Model 3 Performance - yet.

I'm waiting on my Audi S3 lease to be done (11/10), and I couldn't justify two lease payments just for the sake of getting the car now. God do I hate my S3, it sucks. Actually when I saw the $5k drop in price I was thankful I didn't pull the trigger. My lease payment went down $50, and my down is now $1000 cheaper - just for waiting. That's a savings of $2,800 over the life of the lease - or 9% of the purchase price.

Also - I made an internal assumption that the longer I wait the better the QC gets. It does seem we are hearing of factory defects and damage less and less...

Disclosure: I lease because I own a business, and it's a significant write-off. I'm not going to wring my hands about panel gaps, etc., because it's Tesla's car, not mine. Just a rental...

Hello, All.

My wife and I have agreed to purchase the M3. We’re ready to go. We don’t, however, need the car until the spring of 2020 – I won’t bore you with the reasons.

Perhaps a silly question but please humor me: should we buy now and claim the $1,875 tax credit?

Or wait for March and buy a 2020 model (better resale) but lose the credit?

Other variables – we want white paint which is currently free on the M3 ($2,000 on the Y). Makes us suspicious it might change. Clearly, we like the free AP. What's the level of risk these might change?

I say if you do not need it now, it would be better to wait!

While you would be missing out on the Tax Credits, I assume the price of the car might drop enough by then to wash out the loss of Tax Credit.

I am sure the car would be even better at the rate it is going!

I wouldn't buy early for the credit, but...these cars are a joy to drive and you will save a lot in fuel/maintenance costs. If buying now means you sake 1k in gas/oil and gain 1850 in a tax credit, why not? The actual car price will stay the same or slightly decrease, FSD is likely to go up in price though.