Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Struggling to decide when / how to buy a Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 M3 LR AWD owner here, and i'm in love with the car. I want to trade in for a Y because one of my gripes is lack of luggage space in the 3.

FYI - Tesla says trade in value for my 3 is 42.9k (i paid 48.9k) Thats seems good, right?

Here's the problem. What I love most about the car is how it feels to put my foot down. We're talking every traffic light for 2 years. 4.2s 0-60 if i remember correctly. But the LR AWD MY is 4.8s. I'm saddened to be "downgrading"!! Okay so I consider going for the Performance. However after researching it, I don't want the wheels to give up some of my range and cabin-comfort (supposedly it's a rougher ride).

Here's something that scares me about sticking with the MY LR AWD ... I'm worried I'm going to get one of these Chinese LFP batteries my research is showing up. Searching through these forums everyone seems to say its only for SR vehicles however how do we know they wont stick it in a LR if it meets the advertised 0-60? There's global supply shortages is it so hard to believe they'd do this? What if it only just meets the spec and so they do it, and therefore Chinese MY's never get the software acceleration boost for £1.5k? (because Sandy Munroe said on Youtube that they don't pack the same power delivery as the previous tech). Also, a Tesla sales rep told me "we don't know yet if we can get the acceleration boost"

If I knew the Chinese MY LR AWD will get the acceleration boost, I'd 100% take this March delivery now.

Or should I just wait for Berlin to start deliveries hoping they'll have some kind of "locked away" performance/range due to structural battery packs / 4680's and then theres a chance in a year or 2 that tesla will software unlock us a speed/range increase (possibly for free)?

But wait don't even get me started on the downside risks of Berlin - about how Elon once said in some interview somwhere that if you want to minimise manufacturing defects wait until the production lines are no longer ramping / fully ramped. Let's pretend I'm going to not consider this a factor at all and stick with the above equation as is

I can't figure this out! Please help bring some clarity to me if you can

Newer LR don't have the performance motor at the rear, so can't have the extra power.

LFP is SR only, so not in Y.

4.8 is still rapid with all that extra space, but if it's that important to you, get a performance. Sell the wheels and put 19s on.

There's always a compromise.

Newer LR don't have the performance motor at the rear, so can't have the extra power.
Newer LR what M3 MY? all M3's have access to the acceleration boost. Some did not for a while but its available now. Was never about needing the motor from the P.
No idea if all MY will have it probably but have to wait and see if its a deal breaker

Here's something that scares me about sticking with the MY LR AWD ... I'm worried I'm going to get one of these Chinese LFP batteries my research is showing up. Searching through these forums everyone seems to say its only for SR vehicles however how do we know they wont stick it in a LR if it meets the advertised 0-60? There's global supply shortages is it so hard to believe they'd do this? What if it only just meets the spec and so they do it, and therefore Chinese MY's never get the software acceleration boost for £1.5k? (because Sandy Munroe said on Youtube that they don't pack the same power delivery as the previous tech). Also, a Tesla sales rep told me "we don't know yet if we can get the acceleration boost"
There are no vehicles with anything more than a 60kwh LFP. As far as we know the min 80KWh LFP that would be needed for an LR MY will not even fit in one.
The odds of you getting the first on without any warning that its starting to happen are zero to none. if anything they are going the other way with the new 4680.s
I think you are worrying too much on this one.
In the unlikely event it starts to happen cancel the order.
I am in a similar position of wanting to upgrade a 3 for the bigger boot but I am going to hold out a bit longer to see what happens with Berlin etc. New model will be cheaper to make. Does not mean it will necessarily be better for us. we will see.

In another thread I said I ordered the Y and then test drove it and then cancelled. I have the 2021 M3LR which I love and found I did not love the Y as much or enough to replace the M3LR even with current high trade in values, so make sure you get a test drive as it is not for everyone. Just to be clear if the Y had come out first I would have bought that and loved it and probably not loved the M3LR enough to change (even if I do think it is more handsome and a slightly better driving experience). There is more of an upgrade for you to take from a 2020 because of all the changes that came in Dec 2020 but I am going to wait for the next step change or until the car I have starts to feel old, and after a 14 months and 13k miles, it still feels like a new car

Reactions: Doudeau
Regards the battery chemistry - ignorance is bliss. You won't be the only person buying the car with the "defective" battery, nor will you be the last. if you never experience a different battery then how would you know, much less care how it differs? If you were somehow buying the only MY in the UK with a "bad" battery then the argument would make sense, but thousands of people will be buying whatever the cars are being built with now.

4680 is a good year or more off imo.

People seem to be attaching some kind of transcendental superiority to Giga Berlin, simply because - presumably - it's in Germany and Audi/BMW/Mercedes come from there ipso facto a German origin Tesla must also be perfectly built and drive like its riding on a rainbow, or something. Assuming Berlin actually make RHD cars in any near term timeframe, which I doubt, I'd still rather see the standard of what comes out of there before I just blindly buy one.

You can apply a lot of analysis and logic to choosing the best time to buy a Tesla but it’s a constantly moving picture.

Tesla seem to be regularly bringing improvements and changes to their vehicles; virtually anything you buy will be a bit different to the same model a few months down the line. However, software updates do provide an opportunity to update some features, something which is less common or missing from other manufacturers.

In practice, consider that most purchases like this are more emotional than logical. The logical analysis is often there simply to justify the emotional decision!

Reactions: Durzel
Just like you OP, these same questions have been playing on my mind too. The storage limitations have been one of my gripes with the 3 and one of the reasons why I considered a switch to the Y. I have little kids and have to lug everything baring the kitchen sink - so far it's been 'manageable' but will only become worst as they grow older.

With all the talk of the Y, my curiosity got the better of me and I got a guide price from Motorway today and they quoted £46,825. You might want to take a look with them too before taking tesla up on their offer.

At the time of its release, I decided against putting down a deposit and holding out until new tech was implemented. Mainly the 4680's/ Berlin but lately have kind of talked myself out of those too. 4680s are most likely a year away and as you said Berlin ramping up will pose different QA issues in itself. In reality, would it make any difference if tesla still restricts the battery amount to equal what is available today? It makes sense for them to keep it the same and churn out more cars. If they decide not to increase the battery size the only real advantage would be faster charging and a lighter car with an untested structure (afaik). There's also no way of knowing if the new structure & battery would be any better, no real-world testing. I'm perfectly happy with the quick splash and dashes when and if I need them atm so charging times aren't an issue for me - this might be different for others. As I have a 2020 too I'm missing a few of the current "features" -the only real one imo being the heat pump even tho I have the smaller frunk/froot .

Another reason to defer parting with my money was the Y's performance. I wasn't particularly impressed with the figures and the price tag of the P and the reduced range. The LR seems to be the sweet spot, but then it's going to be slower than what I have now - a downgrade as you put it. I guess going down the LR and AB route would probably be the best of both worlds - range and performance (waiting for the guys eagerly waiting to pick theirs up in a few weeks to confirm if it's possible). This could also be a trade-off for the larger boot, but it depends on what you want/need.

Only time will answer these questions and I suppose I might end up paying more for the Y than the early adopters, but I'm in no rush to sell my adored 3

I thought about it but realized I'd been happy with cars with a 12-15s 0-60 for years and completely spoiled by the model 3.. I'll still be able to leave nearly everything on the road standing should I wish to. And the rest of the time the Y is way more practical for dogs etc.

You won't get an LFP battery because it physically won't fit in the space available in the M3/MY and provide the quoted range of the LR. Not sure why you are against it though, most people would be jumping all over an LFP battery powered LR if it could provide the range.

I don't see why the acceleration boost won't be available in the UK, we will need to wait a few more weeks before people take delivery and can confirm it though.

Acceleration boost provides more power to the front motor, not the rear.

It’s a fair conundrum. I love my 3, but it’s knocking on for over 2 years old. It’s a US car and the build is pretty shabby. Rattles, etc. Panel gaps, chrome window trim gaps. Going to a Y will be an upgrade in itself in that regard. Increase in range and a heated steering wheel are nice. As is electric boot. So I don’t see a Y as a downgrade. Apart from performance. If Boost is available, LR will do. If not, P might be needed.

With Tesla constantly changing things, you could wait forever. Prices are only going to go up in the current market. Even last week, paint in Europe nearly doubled.

Update. I REALLY encourage you to go for this trade if you're on the fence. Incredible car.
I completed the trade in for a Model Y LR AWD. Instantly bought an acceleration boost to go 0-60 in 4.2s.

The build quality is way better. Feels fantastic to drive. Incredibly fast. Here's the biggest thing: On the rougher english motorways and I can talk to people in the cabin WITHOUT raising my voice (My 2020 M3 required shouting and was my biggest gripe)

Reactions: Blueskye
Yeah much quieter on the motorway.. there's still road noise but you can hear things and it's not headache inducing any more.

I have a high pitched whine at 70 on my Y though.. I'm hoping it's just something that needs breaking in a bit otherwise it's a service request as the 3 never had that. It sounds like the whine of an old tube TV but much louder - louder than the road noise.

Regards the battery chemistry - ignorance is bliss. You won't be the only person buying the car with the "defective" battery, nor will you be the last. if you never experience a different battery then how would you know, much less care how it differs? If you were somehow buying the only MY in the UK with a "bad" battery then the argument would make sense, but thousands of people will be buying whatever the cars are being built with now.

4680 is a good year or more off imo.

People seem to be attaching some kind of transcendental superiority to Giga Berlin, simply because - presumably - it's in Germany and Audi/BMW/Mercedes come from there ipso facto a German origin Tesla must also be perfectly built and drive like its riding on a rainbow, or something. Assuming Berlin actually make RHD cars in any near term timeframe, which I doubt, I'd still rather see the standard of what comes out of there before I just blindly buy one.

Aren't all X3/X5 etc built in the USA? I think my Z4 was too as I remember tracking boats for delivery (sounds familar!). Agree its probably just perception or subconsious cultural bias. I'd have hoped the Shanghai produced cars would have calmed people down on that by now

Not sure where those BMWs are built, but I wouldn't be surprised.

You're right that there have been enough MIC cars over here now that people ought to have been able to realise that they are of consistent quality and a step up from what was previously experienced from MIA cars (although I'm led to believe they're better now too). When I got my car "chrome trim alignment" was something I was advised to look out for, and indeed my car needed a bit of tweaking. I don't hear of trim alignment being a thing anymore, though I imagine there's the odd car here and there that needs work, but there always is.

I think, as you say, it's a subconscious cultural bias. Audi, BMW, Mercedes are built in Germany (or at least the perception is that they are) ipso facto German built cars must be universally of similar high quality in terms of fit and finish. There's no reason to assume this would be the case with Tesla simply because they exist in Germany. I would assume simply that the fit and finish would naturally get better with time everywhere, at all factories, as a function of market pressure and processes becoming more and more refined.

I think its somewhat problematic to suggest that American workers don't give enough of a crap to build the cars properly, which seems to be the inferrence from the fact that to some Germany is apparently some sort of car building mecca that will imbue Tesla and its cars with magical pixie dust to make them feel like S-class Mercs, etc.

Update. I REALLY encourage you to go for this trade if you're on the fence. Incredible car.
I completed the trade in for a Model Y LR AWD. Instantly bought an acceleration boost to go 0-60 in 4.2s.

The build quality is way better. Feels fantastic to drive. Incredibly fast. Here's the biggest thing: On the rougher english motorways and I can talk to people in the cabin WITHOUT raising my voice (My 2020 M3 required shouting and was my biggest gripe)
Hi mate is the speed boost worth buying model y seems rapid already