Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Won't Connect to Cellular After Being on WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently (within the last 3 weeks), I have noticed that when my M3 comes out of sleep mode after sitting or charging overnight (connected to WiFi), when I leave my house, it will NOT reconnect to the Cellular network.

The only thing that works is a soft reboot. Then after a minute or so, it connects and is fine for the rest of the day.

This only seems to happen when it sits overnight. If I come home for a few hours (on WiFi) or whatever and then head back out, it's fine.

Anyone else having this problem? I have reached out to Tesla support, but have yet to hear back.

Recently (within the last 3 weeks), I have noticed that when my M3 comes out of sleep mode after sitting or charging overnight (connected to WiFi), when I leave my house, it will NOT reconnect to the Cellular network.

How strong is AT&T signal in your house?
I have a similar issue with parking garage at work (no AT&T signal), and I drive out of it with no bar, no infotainment, and no navigation. After a 30-12- seconds, the car's TCU re-acquires the connection, and things come back online.

A few updates ago things go worse, and it took for like 2-5 minutes for TM3 to re-attach to AT&T network.
After 28.3.1, it got quicker again.

The only thing that works is a soft reboot. Then after a minute or so, it connects and is fine for the rest of the day.

This only seems to happen when it sits overnight. If I come home for a few hours (on WiFi) or whatever and then head back out, it's fine.

I charge at home, with WiFi, and don't see this problem.
Then again, I have 3-bars on AT&T in my garage.

a

Thanks the replies guys. So...not connect means that the cellular bars have the line through them. AT&T service at my house is very poor. The signal gets stronger about 1.5 miles from my garage.

However, when I come out of the garage leaving WiFi after sitting overnight, the car will NOT re-acquire the stronger AT&T cellular signal...until I reboot. Then it comes on within a minute or so.

I have had the car since mid-June. It's been fine until about 2-3 weeks ago when this started happening. And...it did NOT start immediately after a software update. It was between updates.

Thanks the replies guys. So...not connect means that the cellular bars have the line through them. AT&T service at my house is very poor. The signal gets stronger about 1.5 miles from my garage.

I think that's the root cause of your troubles.
Wireless devices have re-try logic built into them, usually 3 retries 30/60-seconds apart, then go to sleep, re-attempt after 5/10/20 minutes of sleep. I don't know what those settings are on Tesla's TCU, but if you are not within the range of an AT&T cell tower before initial set of retries times out, you will get stuck in sleep/re-try later period. Which matches your description.

However, when I come out of the garage leaving WiFi after sitting overnight, the car will NOT re-acquire the stronger AT&T cellular signal...until I reboot. Then it comes on within a minute or so.

A reboot would force TCU to restart re-attach right.

I have had the car since mid-June. It's been fine until about 2-3 weeks ago when this started happening. And...it did NOT start immediately after a software update. It was between updates.

There is a chance AT&T signal strength went down over that time period.
You can try to search their web site and submit a "coverage complaint". Some carriers pay attention to those, and if enough come from the same geo-area, they will boost the power to the cell sector that covers it. I'm not certain that AT&T is one of them, but it's worth a try.

a

I had the same issues. I connected to wifi to see if I had the latest firmware on my car. Afterwards I had the grayed out cell signal icon with a line through it - and it took a while for the signal to comeback after resetting. I wish firmware could just be downloaded over the cellular signal - I live in an apartment - and have to rely on my phone's hot spot.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I've only had mine a little over a week, so what does "it will NOT reconnect to the Cellular network" mean? Are we talking your cell phone or does the M3 actually connect to cellular networks like our phones do?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I've only had mine a little over a week, so what does "it will NOT reconnect to the Cellular network" mean? Are we talking your cell phone or does the M3 actually connect to cellular networks like our phones do?

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

What are the new connectivity options?
  • Standard Connectivity offers basic maps & navigation, music & media over Bluetooth® and software updates over Wi-Fi. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection.
  • Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X) and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular.
How much do Standard Connectivity and Premium Connectivity cost?
There is no fee for Standard Connectivity. Pricing for Premium Connectivity will be announced soon, which we expect to be approximately $100 (USD) per year.

How do the new connectivity options impact current Tesla owners?
All Tesla cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 will continue to have access to their existing Premium Connectivity features at no cost for as long as the car is active. As additional apps and services become available in the future, owners will have the opportunity to upgrade their connectivity plan.

Will there be a trial period for Premium Connectivity?
For all Model S and Model X cars ordered on or after July 1, 2018, Premium Connectivity will be complimentary for one year after delivery, as well as all Model 3 cars with Premium Interior. After the complimentary period ends, Standard Connectivity will be available for all cars at no cost, and Premium Connectivity will be available for purchase via the in-car touchscreen. Connectivity plans for Model 3 without Premium Interior will be announced later this year.

• Informative
Reactions: St☰v☰
So got an update here. The other morning, I headed out for an appointment. Left the house with no connectivity. Drove about 10 minutes up the road. DID NOT REBOOT. Just left it alone.

Came out of the appointment about 40 mins later and car was connected. Here's the kicker...since then, it's working fine. I come out of my garage and it's connected right away as soon as I'm out of WiFi range.