Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P hesitates with new rims in 1/4 mile run

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Tesla doing 150 MPH with all the wheels off the ground. It works like a normal car.

The question is - if it can eventually work out that the tires are too small, and the GPS and speedo don't match over long times:
1) Why does it care? As long as all 4 corners are the same diameter, everything like ABS, TC, ESC, etc would work fine.
2) Why is the only result of this slow 1/4 mile times? Not other errors?

I think this is more likely tied to the fact that Tesla manages the power output of the motors very specifically based on acceleration. WOT is not always full power, and WOT on flat ground may not be full power. In this case, I can see the computer being confused about acceleration measured as wheel speed change (with an assumed diameter) vs power output, and limiting power in this case.
Couldn't you go into the software and tell your car that your wheels are a different diameter and then measure the power output with scanmytesla to see if the car changes its power characteristics based on wheel diameter? Maybe that's the secret, tell your car that your running larger diameter wheels/tires in order to get more power, lol. I am aware that a smaller diameter wheel tends to accelerate faster, so you would need the car to think your running a larger diameter, like the 21s on the MYP, in order to trick it into giving you more power. Wouldn't it be funny if the supposed power discrepancy between the M3P and MYP was because of wheel size?