Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P: I'm done with the stock Pirellis. Where next?

Best (overall) tire for M3P that doesn't need snow handling:

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MaskedRacerX MYP got some meat on its feet! I didn't notice how much wheel and rubber the MYP comes with either until recently.

This is my favorite Model Y wheel+tire setup I've come across though... ;)
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6315261/

I'm thinking about those wheels for my M3P winter setup. Supposedly they clear the PUP brakes. They're narrow at 18x8" but in my experience that's good for snow and ice.

Last edited:
@MaskedRacerX

This is my favorite Model Y wheel+tire setup I've come across though... ;)

I'm leaning towards those wheels for my M3P winter setup. Supposedly they clear the PUP brakes. They're narrow at 18x8" but in my experience that's good for snow and ice.

Hahaha, nice, it went totally off road mode :D

Those Falken Wildpeak are popular with the Wrangler crowd (the AT3 model, we have a 4xe too).

Reactions: tm1v2
Something I noticed recently: The 320 TW PS4 has a lower 20k mile tread warranty than the 300 TW PS4S with 30k mile tread warranty!

That seems backwards and I'm not sure what to make of it. I don't know if Michelin actually honors these tread warranties on a Tesla. From our experience with our Model S P85 I would be shocked if the PS4S could last 30k miles on a Tesla performance model. Even getting 20k miles before reaching 2/32" would be pretty surprising to me. We don't have enough miles on our M3P yet to gauge its tire wear characteristics though.

With this treadwear warranty difference I'm at a loss for finding any reason to prefer the PS4. Well, besides the Tesla-spec foam. PS5 is a wildcard of course but not available yet.

The T0 spec PS4S are 70HA on the corner tread and 65HA on the center. Identical numbers as my 18" non-T0 PS4S. Not sure what's up with the extra warranty length other than they do simply expect them to be used on cars that are much lighter.

For comparison, a set of drag radials for my track car was a whopping....37HA lol.

• Informative
I blew through a set of pirellis in 7k and a ps4s are near shot at 5k. You wanted a performance vehicle didn't you? Lol
Are you tracking the car? I have 5K on a set of PS4S' and also about 100 AutoX runs and they are not even half worn out. Unless your wh/mi is over about 700 because you drive so aggressively, it sounds like an alignment issue.

The PS4S' have a 30K mile warranty FYI (if you bought them, not if they came on the car)

Are you tracking the car? I have 5K on a set of PS4S' and also about 100 AutoX runs and they are not even half worn out. Unless your wh/mi is over about 700 because you drive so aggressively, it sounds like an alignment issue.

The PS4S' have a 30K mile warranty FYI (if you bought them, not if they came on the car)

No, not tracking, just hard spirited miles. My wh/mi is about 390 life time. Don't get me wrong. There both great tires and perform better than the average, I just prefer the pirellis over the Michelin's. And going through a set of summers every year has been the norm for me on any of my cars. Not just the Tesla.

There both great tires and perform better than the average, I just prefer the pirellis over the Michelin's.
It's interesting to see the various preferences. The MPS4S is considered one of the best (if not THE best) all around street performance tires ever made, and is objectively much faster on any timed lap, but there are a lot of "spirited" drivers that prefer the Pirellis. It takes all kinds I guess, and it's what makes having product options so great.

And going through a set of summers every year has been the norm for me on any of my cars. Not just the Tesla.
This is really odd FYI. 5K miles is not normal on a set of street tires without track use. I know people with 10K on 200TW semi-track tires and a few AutoX days. Are your tires wearing evenly both across the tread and between axles? This really sounds like an alignment issue, or you are driving on some really non-standard roads up there in Ontario.

My wh/mi is about 390 life time.
Mine is >500 wh/mi and my MPS4S' are still more than 1/2 left after 5K miles. Careful zero toe alignment though.

• Informative
It's interesting to see the various preferences. The MPS4S is considered one of the best (if not THE best) all around street performance tires ever made, and is objectively much faster on any timed lap, but there are a lot of "spirited" drivers that prefer the Pirellis. It takes all kinds I guess, and it's what makes having product options so great.

This is really odd FYI. 5K miles is not normal on a set of street tires without track use. I know people with 10K on 200TW semi-track tires and a few AutoX days. Are your tires wearing evenly both across the tread and between axles? This really sounds like an alignment issue, or you are driving on some really non-standard roads up there in Ontario.

Mine is >500 wh/mi and my MPS4S' are still more than 1/2 left after 5K miles. Careful zero toe alignment though.
Never had alignment issues or uneven wear on any car. They just wear out evenly across the tread. My previous cars have been in the 6-700hp range. Both AWD and RWD. I'm just heavy on the pedal from stops. And when I say "shot" I'm not wearing them down to slicks. Once I get to wear bars, I toss them.

Never had alignment issues or uneven wear on any car. They just wear out evenly across the tread. My previous cars have been in the 6-700hp range. Both AWD and RWD. I'm just heavy on the pedal from stops. And when I say "shot" I'm not wearing them down to slicks. Once I get to wear bars, I toss them.
I’ve been driving for almost 60 years and have never had a car, including my M3, that didn’t need an alignment at some point. Maybe you change cars as often as you change tires. Or maybe you don’t notice the alignment is off because you wear tires so quickly. Normal years I put 15k miles on my car and can’t imagine spending $3k/year on tires.

Folks, thanks for all the inputs and guidance. I finally went with Michelin PS4S in 255/35 R20 with stock uberturbines. No spacers were needed, and I can confirm there's no rubbing anywhere.

Definitely a softer ride, and I'm happy with sidewall protection. It feels like there is slightly more road noise, but possible that it abates after breakin.

Folks, thanks for all the inputs and guidance. I finally went with Michelin PS4S in 255/35 R20 with stock uberturbines. No spacers were needed, and I can confirm there's no rubbing anywhere.

Definitely a softer ride, and I'm happy with sidewall protection. It feels like there is slightly more road noise, but possible that it abates after breakin.
Interested in seeing what this looks like if you can get a pic.