Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - Intermittent home charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had an M3P since the end of November last year.

EO Mini Pro installed at home which I schedule through Teslafi to charge at 12.31am - 04.30am every night. It has been working well up until about 10 days ago when I noticed the car hadn't charged properly overnight.

Since then I've been starting the charge manually and leaving it on until it gets to 80%. It seems to start charging ok and then turn itself off and back on completely randomly.

Last night I set it to charge when I got home at 6.12pm. As you can see from the attached picture it turned itse;f off and back on 5 times until it reached 80%.

I used a 3 pin plug to charge at work yesterday, the charge started and stayed on perfectly which leads me to believe the car is fine.

I don't think it's Teslafi as I've turned off the scheduling.

I guess it must be the cable or the EO Mini? Looking at the third charge the efficiency is only 55%

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Charging.jpg
    Charging.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 84
Not sure this reply will be that helpful.

I have never used Teslafi, but I too have an EO Mini Pro. I chose the tethered cable option. I haven’t had exactly the same symptom, but occasionally mine only charged at 4 kW rather than 7 kW. Stopping the charge, unplugging and plugging back in again seemed to fix it. This is OK if I’m charging immediately, but once it meant that the scheduled departure feature didn’t leave me with the charge I expected.

I’m now careful to make sure the cable is firmly slotted into the charge port on the car. Hasn’t happened since then.

I've had an M3P since the end of November last year.

EO Mini Pro installed at home which I schedule through Teslafi to charge at 12.31am - 04.30am every night. It has been working well up until about 10 days ago when I noticed the car hadn't charged properly overnight.

Since then I've been starting the charge manually and leaving it on until it gets to 80%. It seems to start charging ok and then turn itself off and back on completely randomly.

Last night I set it to charge when I got home at 6.12pm. As you can see from the attached picture it turned itse;f off and back on 5 times until it reached 80%.

I used a 3 pin plug to charge at work yesterday, the charge started and stayed on perfectly which leads me to believe the car is fine.

I don't think it's Teslafi as I've turned off the scheduling.

I guess it must be the cable or the EO Mini? Looking at the third charge the efficiency is only 55%

Any ideas?
Someone else had this exact same problem yesterday, I think it was a faulty unit.

May be worth looking at the TeslaFi log to see what occurred at the point in time that charge stopped,

Good idea, any idea where I might find that detail please?

Someone else had this exact same problem yesterday, I think it was a faulty unit.

Thanks, I'll try and find it :)

Dunno if it would help (until resolved), but I use TeslaFi to detect charging-failure. Although it is rare, the charger at work sometimes trips and PITA when it happens. Timings are based on latest time at which full charge can still be achieved by knocking-off time.

View attachment 512351

Thanks, will look into it while I try and sort this.

I think this is a known and long standing fault in the firmware of the car, there's a couple of threads dedicated to it here:

Model 3 scheduled/timed/smart charging

Scheduled charging restricted to 16A

I think this is a slightly different issue. With mine it's a case of the car/charger/cable topping and starting

any idea where I might find that detail please?

Either click on the Charge or I expect you have several, so in that case Help : Raw Data Feed (set the appropriate date). That should give you minute-by-minute for the whole day

You may have to use EDIT LAYOUT to change columns for whatever data values you want to review (you can pick 15 columns of your choice from the huge list available).

TeslaFi62.jpg

does show an API error. Not sure what that means?

No data collected for that time. Could be, for example, network failure to transmit, or just TeslaFi's call to Tesla to get the data (at that moment) failed - i.e. Tesla requested&got the data, but TeslaFi failed to get it.

If your car is using your WiFi, rather than Mobile, that shouldn't be a problem, but even then I get a number of dropped data packets. I wouldn't be worried until it is multiple minutes in a row. Its just a bit annoying if the "gap" covers a change of some sort - "setting off" of "Charge starting/stopping"

Looks like it stopped at 05:30 on the dot ?

I've looked at the charge that started and stopped by itself (04.31 - 05.30am) and it doesn't show any spikes or anything but does show an API error. Not sure what that means?

The only think possibly of note is that charge ended with state 'stopped' - it should finish 'completed' although may finish 'disconnected' if charge is stopped prior to completion by user.

I have a feeling that stopped was signalled when we tripped the circuit in early days. So that would imply that the charge was ungracefully stopped - ie charge point may have tripped out for a while or something - so potentially the fault condition hinted in above posts.

Bit of an update.

I borrowed a colleagues charging cable (exactly the same as mine) and charged at home last night. As you can see from the pic, the charging seems to start and stop randomly again.

The car charges fine from a 3 pin plug
It doesn't charge ok from home with two different cables.

Surely that means it must be the EO that's at fault?

18th - 19th Feb.jpg

Bit of an update.

I borrowed a colleagues charging cable (exactly the same as mine) and charged at home last night. As you can see from the pic, the charging seems to start and stop randomly again.

The car charges fine from a 3 pin plug
It doesn't charge ok from home with two different cables.

Surely that means it must be the EO that's at fault?

View attachment 512725

Have you tried using the schedule on the car, rather than the EO Mini Pro? Set the start charge time in the car, and the EO Mini Pro to charge all the time. Remove the teslafi command to start charging, then see if this works.

If this works then it's not the charger, it's the communication between the charger and the car. This issue has been around for ages.

I bet you also updated your firmware about 10 days ago, in this updateTesla seems to have fixed the 16amp charging issue, but it's probably affected the issue you have now.

Reactions: Mart74 and Adopado
I only used the schedule on the EO Mini Pro for the first 3 days, since then I've been logged out the app and done all scheduling from Teslafi.

The last two night I've started charging manually when I plugged in. Last night Teslafi was still set to start at 12.30am (perhaps I should turn that off)

It seems do charge for 30 mins or so then switch off then start again a while later.

I've no experience with the EO charger but on the Rolec smart charger there's a "Minimise CO2 emissions" setting that has the same result -- several short charging sessions over the night. Apparently they time them to maximise wind & solar usage based off National Grid daily forecasts. Might the EO be doing the same?

Screenshot_20200219-162248.png

Just had a good conversation with EO technical support. The guy was very helpful.

The charger has a circuit board that connects to EV Juice net whether you use the app or not. He thinks there might be some sort of scheduling/disconnection going on from that board. He recommended unplugging this so the EO acts as a 'dumb charger'.

I'll give that a go tonight and see what happens.

Just had a good conversation with EO technical support. The guy was very helpful.

The charger has a circuit board that connects to EV Juice net whether you use the app or not. He thinks there might be some sort of scheduling/disconnection going on from that board. He recommended unplugging this so the EO acts as a 'dumb charger'.

I'll give that a go tonight and see what happens.

That's what I do with my EO Mini Pro, just use it as a dumb charger, and it works fine. Its an issue with the Tesla that affects chargers, and not just the EO Mini Pro.

I would do the steps I mentioned previously and you'll probably not have any issues.

Test it with Sentry mode on, first, then at the weekend when its not as vital that it charges, test it with sentry mode off.

Update

I disconnected the circuit board as instructed by EO, easy enough to do, and left the car plugged in and scheduled to charge by Teslafi at 12.30am - 04.30am.

The good news is it started at 12.30am :) unfortunately it only chargded for 29 minutes before switching itself off again :-(

Started again at 03.32am and charged until 80%.

Gutted!

That's what I do with my EO Mini Pro, just use it as a dumb charger, and it works fine. Its an issue with the Tesla that affects chargers, and not just the EO Mini Pro.

I would do the steps I mentioned previously and you'll probably not have any issues.

Test it with Sentry mode on, first, then at the weekend when its not as vital that it charges, test it with sentry mode off.

I'll give this a go tonight, thanks. The only slight thing is if it does work it means I wont be able to use Teslafi to schedule anymore :-(

20-02-20.jpg